Importing new GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 03:41 PM
No-Vtec-Please
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing new GT3 RS

Hey everyone,

First post here. Seeking advice and help for 991 GT3 RS import.

There is a car that can be bought in Finland at a very good price. The car is new and was thinking what needs to be done to import it to California. I know that bumpers and ecu need to be converted to US spec but aside from that any idea on taxes and other costs? Any idea where to get the US spec parts?

Any info is greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2016, 04:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Importing to US is a 2.5% tax on purchase price if you are going to register the car in USA.

IF you are only a part time resident then you might be able to bring it to the states on a usage permit similar to Euro Delivery. You can't keep it here permanently this way but bringing it in for a "driving vacation".

With CA you have issues getting cars smogged so you will need to make sure the car's Ecu and exhaust system are compatible. Zero idea of emissions regs in Finland but guessing they are strict.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:02 PM
No-Vtec-Please
6th Gear

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Importing to US is a 2.5% tax on purchase price if you are going to register the car in USA.

IF you are only a part time resident then you might be able to bring it to the states on a usage permit similar to Euro Delivery. You can't keep it here permanently this way but bringing it in for a "driving vacation".

With CA you have issues getting cars smogged so you will need to make sure the car's Ecu and exhaust system are compatible. Zero idea of emissions regs in Finland but guessing they are strict.
Thank you for the response. I have been digging some more and found out that no new car can be imported to California. There is a 2 year from production date limit. Other states have different regulations but not California.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe that to import a ROW car for 'vacation', the owner must be a foreign national and the car must be taken out of the US at least once a year.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Think twice if you're concerned about resale. Also check with PCNA about their take on it especially warranty etc.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:38 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 202 Posts

i will buy the guy a 991RS, who will explain me how to import EU cars below 25 years old fequently to US incl. constant registration.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:15 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Import USA duty is probably the 2.5%. But then registering it in CA you will owe the tax of approx. (depending on your county of registration) 10% tax on the value of the car in addition to the duty. Then there is registration on top of that. But those taxes/fees are costs associated with any car in CA.

The bigger issue is conforming the car to USA and especially CA DOT requirements. ROW gets plex windows, USA not, etc. Then also emissions, that especially for CA can be a BIG issue.

Next in order to bring the car in you will need a broker and post a bond on the car to get through customs. It would be best for you to contact an international transportation broker that specializes in automobiles. A well known one is Cosdel in San Francisco. They can give you the best advice.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
i will buy the guy a 991RS, who will explain me how to import EU cars below 25 years old fequently to US incl. constant registration.
Challenge accepted.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Think twice if you're concerned about resale. Also check with PCNA about their take on it especially warranty etc.
Warranty will be zero. PCNA buys their cars from PAG. If you have warranty work you would need to ship it back to Europe.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 PM
No-Vtec-Please
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jo_ker
That's doable. I have researched a lot and if the car is two years or older then no problem.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:08 PM
No-Vtec-Please
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Todd B
Warranty will be zero. PCNA buys their cars from PAG. If you have warranty work you would need to ship it back to Europe.
That's exactly the thing. No warranty on a car like this will be a high risk. Especially a new car that can turn out to be a lemon...
Old 03-22-2016, 08:03 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Europe and it says in my Warranty Manual that my 991 RS has a Porsche New Car Worldwide Warranty, so waranty should not be a problem. It says I must take the car to the nearest Porsche Dealer.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Doesn't sound like something I would attempt, to be honest.

Quick Reply: Importing new GT3 RS