Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK-S On The Steep Hills Of San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:59 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Lar, we have enough crazy hills over here. The best way seems to to hold the car with the left foot, not rely on the hill hold "feature", and mini-brake-stand to start. Won't be smooth initially, but you can get there with practice--there's a bite point at which you can feel the car starting to move...
Old 03-21-2016, 04:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,709 Likes on 2,342 Posts

move her to SJ.
what woudl anyone torture self and live in SF.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,280 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
move her to SJ. what woudl anyone torture self and live in SF.
Because the food in SF is 10000% better than the food in SJ!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
My girlfriend recently moved to SF and she's on one of the steepest hills. Every time I have to stop at at traffic light on a hill, my GT3 won't accelerate normally. It barely moves for what feels like an eternity. I'm wondering if that hill assist feature is on this car. It's extremely disconcerting, and in my opinion, downright dangerous. I am fearful I'll get rear-ended.

Yesterday, after I picked her up, I was explaining the problem, and she asked if I could simply demonstrate instead. So, sure enough, there we were, perched at the top of a very steep hill, right as it is about to crest, waiting for the light to turn. As it does, I press the accelerator harder and harder, barely moving, till suddenly we're doing a burnout. I'm worried this will destroy the clutches.

Anyone else encounter this situation?
Ran into this problem coming out of my office drive way. Real steep.

While e brake works the problem is that the car try's to go to 2nd as soon as it starts moving. Secret is shift to manual 1st when starting and problem is solved.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
While e brake works the problem is that the car try's to go to 2nd as soon as it starts moving. Secret is shift to manual 1st when starting and problem is solved.
Very interesting. I *never* use auto mode so maybe that's why I've never experienced the issue Lar describes. Lar, were you in auto or manual when the problem occurred?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I almost never drive in auto, and was always in manual when these situations occured.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:14 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
My girlfriend recently moved to SF and she's on one of the steepest hills. Every time I have to stop at at traffic light on a hill, my GT3 won't accelerate normally. It barely moves for what feels like an eternity. I'm wondering if that hill assist feature is on this car. It's extremely disconcerting, and in my opinion, downright dangerous. I am fearful I'll get rear-ended.

Yesterday, after I picked her up, I was explaining the problem, and she asked if I could simply demonstrate instead. So, sure enough, there we were, perched at the top of a very steep hill, right as it is about to crest, waiting for the light to turn. As it does, I press the accelerator harder and harder, barely moving, till suddenly we're doing a burnout. I'm worried this will destroy the clutches.

Anyone else encounter this situation?

I have experienced the exact, disconcerting phenomenon driving the 1.1GT3 in San Francisco on steep hills, particularly when starting from a dead stop with the brake on. The degree of incline seems to impair proper traction control / clutch feathering by the PDK/ECU. Haven't identified a good way to regain correct clutch engagement except to release throttle and ease into it.

Quick Reply: PDK-S On The Steep Hills Of San Francisco