Old 07-07-2018, 03:21 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 414 Posts

Old 07-07-2018, 03:22 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Ok, did a 100 mile drive after I took delivery of the car today (I live next to all the good driving roads in the LA area). Car is stupid fast. Even with warm Cup 2 tires (today LA was on FIRE with record breaking temperatures), I got a ton of wheel spin in 3rd gear when floored. From my initial drive on my favorite canyon roads, this is a very challenging car to drive fast. The back end likes to step out. Factory suspension set up is good for the road, but my feeling is that I need to tinker with the settings for track days. Also, I need to break in my tires as well, so hopefully it won't be as twitchy (the car do have a lot of power).

The GT2RS turbo set up is very different than the regular 911 Turbo, where you get all the boost early on (on my 911 Turbo S, you get full boost at 2800rpm). The GT2RS spools up much later, giving you a more explosive feel as the rpm rises. It's not trying to mimic a NA engine characteristic, but a more progressive surge in power. When you are in the higher rpm (4-5k rpm), the power just keeps on coming, unlike the regular 911 Turbo where it would feel it's running out of steam at that point. I saw 21psi on my boost gauge today when I floored it in 3rd gear.

During PDI, my car had its water spray tank sensor stuck, and it needed the good-old coat hanger hook to fish it out. Apparently, almost all of the GT2RS are experiencing this issue, so there will be a bulletin coming out soon with proper instructions on how to unhook the sensor. What happens is that there are some corrosion in the tank from the factory and the cars are shipped without water in the tank. Porsche seems to think this is an one-time issue during pre-delivery and once you get the sensor unstuck and filled with water, it should be good to go. Who knows, maybe they will issue a recall on this issue a year or two down the line.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:44 AM
Nagata-San
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SEB74
Nice Buddy ! Missed our races on my last trip there !
Old 07-07-2018, 04:59 AM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine too, I got the car even without being on waiting list...I never purchased car before from this dealer...

Originally Posted by unotaz
What kind of game are they playing? Mine is MSRP baby!
Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Ok, did a 100 mile drive after I took delivery of the car today (I live next to all the good driving roads in the LA area). Car is stupid fast. Even with warm Cup 2 tires (today LA was on FIRE with record breaking temperatures), I got a ton of wheel spin in 3rd gear when floored. From my initial drive on my favorite canyon roads, this is a very challenging car to drive fast. The back end likes to step out. Factory suspension set up is good for the road, but my feeling is that I need to tinker with the settings for track days. Also, I need to break in my tires as well, so hopefully it won't be as twitchy (the car do have a lot of power).

The GT2RS turbo set up is very different than the regular 911 Turbo, where you get all the boost early on (on my 911 Turbo S, you get full boost at 2800rpm). The GT2RS spools up much later, giving you a more explosive feel as the rpm rises. It's not trying to mimic a NA engine characteristic, but a more progressive surge in power. When you are in the higher rpm (4-5k rpm), the power just keeps on coming, unlike the regular 911 Turbo where it would feel it's running out of steam at that point. I saw 21psi on my boost gauge today when I floored it in 3rd gear.

During PDI, my car had its water spray tank sensor stuck, and it needed the good-old coat hanger hook to fish it out. Apparently, almost all of the GT2RS are experiencing this issue, so there will be a bulletin coming out soon with proper instructions on how to unhook the sensor. What happens is that there are some corrosion in the tank from the factory and the cars are shipped without water in the tank. Porsche seems to think this is an one-time issue during pre-delivery and once you get the sensor unstuck and filled with water, it should be good to go. Who knows, maybe they will issue a recall on this issue a year or two down the line.

Beautiful Car! Congrats!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

uno - hows the fun factor compared to other gt cars?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:37 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Congrats! When is your car coming? If you are in Germany or other European countries, getting a GT2RS at MSRP is not a big deal. If you are in the US, please help out your fellow Rennlisters and let them know which dealer you are working with?

Originally Posted by 997 tt/rs
Mine too, I got the car even without being on waiting list...I never purchased car before from this dealer...

Last edited by unotaz; 07-07-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:05 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Good question. Fun factor in this car is a 9/10 and let me explain why.

This car has way too much horsepower. If you ever driven a GT3 or a GT3RS, you know that the car pretty much does everything you ask of it without breaking a sweat. GT3RS PDK shifts fast, brakes well and it has tons of grip.

Well, the GT2RS performs just like a GT3RS, but it has close to 200hp more and here lies the problem/fun. Everything in this car arrives so much faster, which makes the car very challenging to drive and it encourages more mistakes to be made on the driver's end. You can't floor the throttle everywhere you go in the GT2RS, unlike the GT3RS with its pedestrian torque and power (relatively speaking). I have no doubt this car is the fastest production 911 to date, but I can tell you already, I'm probably faster on a track in a GT3RS than a GT2RS. And that's why I sold my 991 GT3RS a long time ago and will be keeping the GT2RS in the foreseeable future, because it's way more FUN. Yes, I will be slower in my GT2RS, but I'm having more fun driving it, catching its tail and sometimes braking a tad too late with way too much speed.

It receives a 9/10 because it doesn't have a manual gearbox. If it had one, it would have been perfect!

Side note: The GT2RS rear sway bar only has two settings, compared to the 3 settings the GT3/GT3RS. I wonder why that is? Anyways, it's going to take me a few track sessions before finally dialing in the set up I like.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
uno - hows the fun factor compared to other gt cars?
Old 07-07-2018, 04:17 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Car looks best in black to my eyes, minimizing the wide-mouth cutouts on both sides in the front. I think I'd have more fun in a GT3, as the GT2 RS would feel like driving with a raw egg behind the gas pedal. I have a heavy foot, not a light one.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I hope not a re-post. Nico Rosberg drives 2RS and others...

Old 07-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

PTS Carbon Steel Grey Metallic just delivered. Great to see it in this colour, makes the wait all the more bearable. Only a few more weeks until delivery.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:27 AM
Derek RS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice color congrats!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 AM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Down here in Adelaide, South Australia there is a new track called The Bend. It's only been open a short time but the owners decided they should wheel out something to set a production car benchmark....

Old 07-08-2018, 09:06 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 415 Posts

^ "Bend" is right, like somebody went a little nuts with corners. That 2RS needs some geo work!
Old 07-08-2018, 09:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

^^ I was just about to post the same - lots of bend after bend after bend and the left was rubbing a lot of the 2RS. Pit out strange for a brand new track?

But I would love to have that track in my back yard!!

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS