Sponsored by:

Is regular GT3 better than RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:57 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is regular GT3 better than RS?

So now I've read it in two different places: Motor Trend and Panamera.

From Motor Trend:

...However, it’s just not as good to drive as the regular flavor GT3 is. “The GT3’s magical handling has somehow been deleted with the addition of the RS badge,” Cammisa says. “Whereas the GT3 was perfectly neutral, the RS flings itself into corners *** first and then understeers through the rest of the turn.” The GT3 RS felt like an old-school 911, specifically the Widowmaker, i.e., the 996 GT2. Near the limit, the GT3 RS was an oversteering handful. A talented (amateur) driver friend of mine explained that on the same track he was faster in the GT3 than in the GT3 RS. I think that’s going to be the case unless you’re a professional. Even then, the RS is tricky. “It says a lot about the GT3 RS that it’s the first and only car Randy’s ever spun while hot lapping MRLS,” Scott Evans says. “Not once but three times.”

From Panamera:

"The GT3 is so accessible that this street-legal beast records a best lap that is four-tenths of a second faster than my quickest time in the GT3 Cup race car."

"... today's lap times in the GT3 RS are within a second of those in the GT3 Cup... Like the GT3 Cup, its feral character requires talent and practice to extract its full potential - it is not for inexperienced drivers."

I've got an RS on order. I'm a decent driver on track. But I'm not a great driver on track. I'd describe myself much closer to being a "novice" than a "talented" driver!

Really starting to wonder if I'm going in the right direction with an RS. Maybe I'd be better off with a regular GT3....
Old 03-08-2016, 09:59 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

deleted
Old 03-08-2016, 10:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

No
Old 03-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

If not factoring relative to cost; the RS is better. If looking at performance for cost; GT3 is better.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

ACSATCO has offered to trade his incoming PTS RS and freebie helmet for a GT3
Old 03-08-2016, 10:03 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
So now I've read it in two different places: Motor Trend and Panamera.

From Motor Trend:

...However, it’s just not as good to drive as the regular flavor GT3 is. “The GT3’s magical handling has somehow been deleted with the addition of the RS badge,” Cammisa says. “Whereas the GT3 was perfectly neutral, the RS flings itself into corners *** first and then understeers through the rest of the turn.” The GT3 RS felt like an old-school 911, specifically the Widowmaker, i.e., the 996 GT2. Near the limit, the GT3 RS was an oversteering handful. A talented (amateur) driver friend of mine explained that on the same track he was faster in the GT3 than in the GT3 RS. I think that’s going to be the case unless you’re a professional. Even then, the RS is tricky. “It says a lot about the GT3 RS that it’s the first and only car Randy’s ever spun while hot lapping MRLS,” Scott Evans says. “Not once but three times.”

From Panamera:

"The GT3 is so accessible that this street-legal beast records a best lap that is four-tenths of a second faster than my quickest time in the GT3 Cup race car."

"... today's lap times in the GT3 RS are within a second of those in the GT3 Cup... Like the GT3 Cup, its feral character requires talent and practice to extract its full potential - it is not for inexperienced drivers."

I've got an RS on order. I'm a decent driver on track. But I'm not a great driver on track. I'd describe myself much closer to being a "novice" than a "talented" driver!

Really starting to wonder if I'm going in the right direction with an RS. Maybe I'd be better off with a regular GT3....
Yeah...the GT3 is a better car...IN EVERY way.

Tell you what...I'm ready to change cars. I'll sell you my 2016 GT3 if you give me your RS allocation.

Yes, I'm dead serious.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Laguna - there are other theads about this. I even started one when the Pano article hit the web. I guess that the consensus was sort of the RS is faster while the GT3 maybe have performance which is easier to access.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
If not factoring relative to cost; the RS is better. If looking at performance for cost; GT3 is better.
Until depreciation
Old 03-08-2016, 10:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I was fortunate to see a GT3 RS on the road, and they are very special. But since I cannot afford one, I never really gave it a second thought. To me, I barely scratch the surface of the GT3. The RS would just be way beyond my pay grade, as is the GT3. Is the GT3 RS a more capable track car? I believe it is. Is it more special. After seeing it in person, I think it is. But since I will never run out of car with the GT3, and the cost is...prohibitive...I can't see myself ever buying one.

But absolutely they are very special.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Laguna - there are other theads about this. I even started one when the Pano article hit the web. I guess that the consensus was sort of the RS is faster while the GT3 maybe have performance which is easier to access.
I have yet to drive an RS.. but been on track with several. I would imagine the aero makes it tricky to setup; as I assume it behaves so differently at low vs. high speeds. I think finding a good setup for both (high/low speeds) proves difficult. I think the consensus is correct; in capable hands; RS is faster; but is probably significantly more work to get beyond lap time of GT3; where as GT3 is very predictable and easy to drive at the limit; but is a second behind the RS. I guess one has to decide if that second per minute of lap is worth the extra cost and sweat to wheel it at those limit levels.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 03-09-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:40 PM
'Trust'
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean, probably not, but the thought makes me feel good.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:19 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes GT3 is 100X better... Because I have one
Old 03-09-2016, 12:26 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Second that!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:12 AM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

lol the RS is a better car. It could have the same engine and weight and it would still be better... just look at it.

Is an RS worth the premium over a GT3 in the current market? thats a whole different question. Hard for me to justify with cars like the 458 and huracan out there.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

That captures it fairly well, but honestly, when we start talking about which is better it can get tricky. If someone needs great economy, for example, even though there is a disparity in build quality a Prius is "better" than a Porsche.

The RS is different from the GT3 in ways that are advantages for some people and disadvantages for others. Faster on track? Again, apparently yes for some but no for others. More costly? For sure. But "better" is more subjective.

I think the OP needs to realistically decide what the RS will give him that the GT3 won't. Whatever that is, if he's willing to pay the price difference for it, he'll have his answer.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-09-2016 at 03:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Is regular GT3 better than RS?