Sponsored by:

Is regular GT3 better than RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:18 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm951
I disagree...you are making it subjective by basing your argument on whether or not one can afford either one and that is what they think is better.

The original question was which one is better. I too, own both cars and purchasability has nothing to do with my objective opinion, thus why agree with Superman32.

Btw...the big rear wing is there for functional reasons, not there solely for aesthetics - form follows function.
What I'm saying is one will generally say the one they buy is better for their own personal reasons.
If you're fortunate enough to own both then we should get somewhat of an honest answer.
I realize the rear wing is there for a reason, but in my case, only from a visual, not functional, its too bold for me.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Bigger engine, much better aero, better contact patch F/R, and wider track. Oh, and it just looks bad ***. If you ignore the first four facts, and discount the fact that it looks bad ***, the GT3 is better.
Unless you care about lap times all those differences are negatives. Except the badass one!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:30 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The RS I've spec'd comes out at 210k. With the 50k premium I agreed to in order to get to order it, I'd be in at 260k.

Separately, I've found a really nice regular GT3 for 160k. Same color and very similar to the build I ordered for the RS. But, of course, the cost is exactly 100k less than the RS.

My Euro Delivery on the RS is scheduled for July. That would be fun with this car, so it's a huge plus.

I've driven the GT3 and love it. So it's a known entity for me.

I've NOT driven the RS. So it's an unknown to me.

In terms of the aesthetics: At first glance, I actually like the GT3 better. But as I get more and more time to really look at the RS, it is REALLY starting to grow on me.

I guess I didn't start having second thoughts on the RS until I read two completely separate articles that basically said you can do all the same stuff in the GT3 as you can do in the RS -- and in some ways, do it safer/more reliably as a novice driver. I'm the first to admit, I'm a novice.

So basically, if I DO get the RS, I'm paying 100k over a GT3 for (a) the difference in looks, and (b) the experience of the Euro Delivery.

Is that worth 100k? That's what I'm asking myself tonight....
Old 03-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ but the 100k is not lost. RS retains value
Old 03-09-2016, 09:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

if you have to debate with yourself if it's worth it, get the GT3, otherwise, get the RS. It's emotional, not logical.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:24 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
The RS I've spec'd comes out at 210k. With the 50k premium I agreed to in order to get to order it, I'd be in at 260k.

Separately, I've found a really nice regular GT3 for 160k. Same color and very similar to the build I ordered for the RS. But, of course, the cost is exactly 100k less than the RS.

My Euro Delivery on the RS is scheduled for July. That would be fun with this car, so it's a huge plus.

I've driven the GT3 and love it. So it's a known entity for me.

I've NOT driven the RS. So it's an unknown to me.

In terms of the aesthetics: At first glance, I actually like the GT3 better. But as I get more and more time to really look at the RS, it is REALLY starting to grow on me.

I guess I didn't start having second thoughts on the RS until I read two completely separate articles that basically said you can do all the same stuff in the GT3 as you can do in the RS -- and in some ways, do it safer/more reliably as a novice driver. I'm the first to admit, I'm a novice.

So basically, if I DO get the RS, I'm paying 100k over a GT3 for (a) the difference in looks, and (b) the experience of the Euro Delivery.

If it is a rounding error to your net worth, go for it.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

I still hear everybody bitching about the 4.0 being waaaayyy overpriced for some CF fenders, hood and 200cc... Right. Should have just bought a 997GT3 for 100 less...

Not
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
LOL JUST SAW THIS

TRADE IS OK, WITH 250K IN THERE
Where? In the helmet?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I think this is a stupid thread but hell since it is live I be in. The 991 GT3 is an exceptional piece of machinery- the RS- a progression of what they learned from the 3.8 liter GT3. Lets leave aesthetics out of it because the RS may be an intimidating gregarious piece of art but I do not like the wing ect. And I prefer the looks of the GT3. Give me the RS engine in the GT3 and see you later.

So , is the RS better than the GT3. Well it depends. Now- if you had a gorgeous brunette and an equally looking blonde it comes down to preferences. But- if one had a set of big hooters we know the answer
Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
So , is the RS better than the GT3. Well it depends. Now- if you had a gorgeous brunette and an equally looking blonde it comes down to preferences. But- if one had a set of big hooters we know the answer
I disagree. How would you know which one is better w/o test driving both before hand?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Just in time
I disagree. How would you know which one is better w/o test driving both before hand?
Who cares at that point - it all feels the same in the end

That is the moral of the tale I am conveying
Old 03-09-2016, 10:36 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

$50K over MSRP sucks but since they are selling for over MSRP for now you might be OK. It just sucks to pay over.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig

I personally don't think so. Buy the GT3 (which is better looking than the RS anyway, IMHO), splurge on a great Euro vacation, rent a nice Porsche for the trip, visit the factory and museum, do the 3 course Porsche Sport Driving School series and still have 75-80 grand in your pocket. You'll also have the satisfaction of not being gouged the $50K markup by your dealer. But that's just what I'd do. YMMV. Good luck with your choice....
Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Okay- on third Margarita so I apologize for "PIF"- posting under influence
Old 03-09-2016, 10:47 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I think this is a stupid thread but hell since it is live I be in. The 991 GT3 is an exceptional piece of machinery- the RS- a progression of what they learned from the 3.8 liter GT3. Lets leave aesthetics out of it because the RS may be an intimidating gregarious piece of art but I do not like the wing ect. And I prefer the looks of the GT3. Give me the RS engine in the GT3 and see you later.

In this context, are big hooters the automotive equivalent of the RS's big wing?? :-)

Quick Reply: Is regular GT3 better than RS?