Sponsored by:

Reaction on the street...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Default Reaction on the street...

Prior to getting my GT3 I never really gave "public reaction" a second thought. Sure I figured people might occasionally come up and ask me about the car, but NOTHING like I experienced this past weekend.

There is just a tremendous amount of RESPECT for this car on the street. For example, a car turned in front of us and a kid no older than 5 saw the GT3, his mouth had this WOW expression, and he starts clapping like he'd just received a pound of chocolate. My wife is floored by the reaction. How does a kid 5 years old get this car? I told here we are a car culture, and it starts real young. She GETS the joy of owning an awesome car now.

This sort of thing happens ALL DAY LONG. People on the side of the road giving thumbs up, or sticking arms out of cars waving. It is awesome. It is like this car connects with anyone who appreciates high performance cars, motorcycles, whatever. Guys and girls alike respond to it. Everyone does.

Driving by a group of people walking around our lake. A guy sees the GT3 and stops the entire group, points back at the car, and was saying something to everyone else, also looking now. At a cross walk three guys walked in front of us and started sort of dancing??? making these gestures as if to say "that car is nasty!". Countless people just stare as the car goes by. Tons of respect from anyone with a performance car or motorcycle. Other Porsche owners give the nod, or wave, probable 50% of the time.

The reaction has been really incredible on the street. And this reaction has made driving an INCREDIBLE car even more amazing. If there ever comes a day when this car starts to feel ordinary, trust me, the public will not let that happen.

Since I live in the foothills 30 miles outside Denver, I chock this up to mainly not seeing many of these type cars around here. But the emotion this car evokes on the streets here is really something. People get excited because seeing the GT3 in person made THEIR day better in some way. How cool is that?

What sort of reactions are you getting in your area? Are you seeing similar things? I hope so!

Rob
Old 02-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 737 Posts

I usually get the finger for scaring the heck out of them when I pass them

Just kidding - I agree with the reaction you are seeing
Old 02-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,074 Posts

In Socal? Not much honestly.
I get as much waves and thumbs ups with my antiques than my 997RS.
99.9% of the public know these are 911 - they have no idea (that .1% does) what generation they are.
This is part of the reason I like porsche, flies mostly under the radar.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 722 Likes on 395 Posts

Around here it doesn't get a second look.
Nothing like an R8 or 12C. Fortunately!
Old 02-29-2016, 01:10 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Dubai my gt3 gets very little reaction at all even though it's red and has a wing on the back.

The 458 on the other hand attracts plenty of unwanted attention especially from the kids and it does start from the very young kids.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 132 Posts

As we know, the color of the car also affects noticeability. I think white is hard to miss and I'm glad you're enjoying the experience.

In my case, a low key GT Silver together with my desire to stay inconspicuous attracts little attention.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:08 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

My car is over two years old and I continue to have people go gaga over it. The best: while sitting at a stop light in downtown SD a 20-30 beautiful blonde in a WRX yelled "I love your car! Do you track it much!" Wow, talk about an unexpected complement.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:46 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

In the Bay Area my highly modded 997 gt3 gets little attention if any. It got a lot more response in LA and SD when I had it down there.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:23 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 115 Likes on 57 Posts

4.0 or 996gt3 gets little to no attention. But my 993tt is a real attraction magnet. A lot of thumbs up driving a 20 year old 911.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:35 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

GT Silver is low profile. GT3 or GT4... not much of a reaction. I don't think there is much of a car culture where I live
Old 02-29-2016, 06:22 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,367 Likes on 2,782 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
4.0 or 996gt3 gets little to no attention. But my 993tt is a real attraction magnet. A lot of thumbs up driving a 20 year old 911.
Something happens with an older car that's well preserved. It suddenly becomes desirable. I saw an immaculate early 80s Corolla the other day, and suddenly thought to myself - "That's a nice looking car". Weird how that happens.

Of course, that's exponentially true in a 993TT, which was an awesome car to start with.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Mine is white; only gets attention when making noise (catless headers and also center bypass) in urban areas. It does get attention at gas stations in more rural areas.

I don't valet or go to car shows or put myself in a position to show off, however.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 PM
16'991GT3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two cool moments for mine were, when I first got the car I had it shipped directly from my dealership to my detailer and within the first couple seconds of me driving it for the first time I had a group of people taking pics while I was at a stop light, the other cool one was I was stopped at a stop light and this family pulls up next to me, the wife is in the passenger seat jumping up and down with a big smile on her face, have me a big thumbs up and took pics like there was no tomorrow. It's honestly an awesome feeling to see others get as excited about your car as you are. The best is definitely when kids get excited about it, the level of enthusiasm displayed by kids are second to none!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:19 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by 16'991GT3
Two cool moments for mine were, when I first got the car I had it shipped directly from my dealership to my detailer and within the first couple seconds of me driving it for the first time I had a group of people taking pics while I was at a stop light, the other cool one was I was stopped at a stop light and this family pulls up next to me, the wife is in the passenger seat jumping up and down with a big smile on her face, have me a big thumbs up and took pics like there was no tomorrow. It's honestly an awesome feeling to see others get as excited about your car as you are. The best is definitely when kids get excited about it, the level of enthusiasm displayed by kids are second to none!
That is awesome. Love how much joy this car brings OTHER PEOPLE.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

We had a neighborhood cars and coffee in our subdivision. Some very very nice cars showed up, several more expensive than a GT3. Yet it easily walked away with the most admired tag. A lady that knows cars started bowing and saying "now that IS a car."

Quick Reply: Reaction on the street...