I'm just here to throw bit of salt

Originally Posted by 997s07
The Cup also runs the Mezger.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
So, assuming the cars are set up properly, RS is about 1s faster per minute of lap time on this track. That roughly matches the apparent 5s delta at the ring. Still not clear how much of the difference is due to N0 vs N1 tire compounds, but we'll know better when the N1 becomes available in GT3 sizes.

In any case, interesting to note that the seemingly small difference in measured lap time translates to the RS gapping the GT3 significantly as the laps accumulate. Figuring roughly 90 mph average lap speed, on this track the 1.4s lap time difference translates to a gap of 185' per lap - which is about 15 car lengths!
Sounds like someone who really wants to justify an RS. A better way to think about it is that after a 30 minute session at Laguna Seca, you wouldn't even be half a lap up. Even better, 1.4s is well within the difference between even two very capable GT3 drivers at a DE. So, really, there is very little difference at all. To make you feel worse, I'd bet the GT4 is even closer to the GT3 than 1.4s back.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

Manifold, i didn´t knew that the GT3 and GT3RS do have different compounds in the Cup2. Are you sure it is a differnt "rubber" not just another dimension of the tyre wall for example - based on different highspeed loads (aero). needed just based on regulations?

MayorAdam, i don´t think so about the GT4 vs. GT3. cause on a track with a 90mph average... the GT4 is missing 90hp on the GT3 (and the GT3 "just" 25hp to the RS). on small/selective tracks you may be correct.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Sounds like someone who really wants to justify an RS. A better way to think about it is that after a 30 minute session at Laguna Seca, you wouldn't even be half a lap up. Even better, 1.4s is well within the difference between even two very capable GT3 drivers at a DE. So, really, there is very little difference at all. To make you feel worse, I'd bet the GT4 is even closer to the GT3 than 1.4s back.
My take on this having compared the three on some of our local tracks is that the time difference between the GT4/GT3/RS is identical (all separated by 1s same driver on our 2.8km track so between 1.12-1.14 between all three). I think it's been demonstrated by Sport Auto the GT4 advantage drops away on any long track with fast straights especially uphill ones. Non the less with 50k equally separating the cars seems almost coincidental lap times are almost equally separated.

If the article produces any winners to me it is that the 991 Cup car is an absolute bargain for its track performance differential over the road GT3/RS (especially given its restrictiors) and compared to the RSR which is only 2s faster it looks as cheap as chips for the 600k saving...
Old 02-03-2016, 02:25 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
Would be interesting to see what time the RS can get with slicks..
Originally Posted by Macca
If the article produces any winners to me it is that the 991 Cup car is an absolute bargain for its track performance differential over the road GT3/RS (especially given its restrictiors)

the 991 Cup has 215k€ MSRP in GER
30k€ above the 991GT3RS

and 6sec faster on that track.

give the RS slicks and full agressiv setting - it could be head to head. or 1-2sek behind the cup.

and than there are buzzwords like durability, costs of revisions, street legal (with another set of tires)

further on give the std. GT3 a set of slicks - and than compare pricing.
so much win in this lineup!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
the 991 Cup has 215k€ MSRP in GER 30k€ above the 991GT3RS and 6sec faster on that track. give the RS slicks and full agressiv setting - it could be head to head. or 1-2sek behind the cup. and than there are buzzwords like durability, costs of revisions, street legal (with another set of tires) further on give the std. GT3 a set of slicks - and than compare pricing. so much win in this lineup!
Agreed. correct as you say caveat is durability. cup on slicks with restrictor is proven. MA176 in RS and GT3/RS on slicks not so much (yet).
Old 02-03-2016, 03:31 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Cup Vs RS issue are not slicks but 600Lbs
Old 02-03-2016, 03:45 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

FWIW: The article is in the print issue 219 of Evo (3/2016)

Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
Manifold, i didn´t knew that the GT3 and GT3RS do have different compounds in the Cup2. Are you sure it is a differnt "rubber" not just another dimension of the tyre wall for example - based on different highspeed loads (aero). needed just based on regulations?
There was an article which compared the the GT4 and RS, and noted that the N1 rubber of the RS tires seemed to have more grip than the N0 rubber of the GT4, especially in the wet.

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
My point was that a seemingly small difference in lap time translates into an obvious physical gap on the track, as the article indicates.

For me personally, 1.4s on a track of this length definitely isn't enough to justify the higher price of the RS. The GT3 is already fast enough, and N1 rubber should close some of the gap. I'd need the subjective experience of driving the car to be much superior, but even then it's more than I want to spend on a track car.

Agree that the gap between two 'advanced' DE drivers of the GT3 can easily be 1.4s or more. For that matter, my own lap time can vary by more than that based on tires, track conditions, how hard I want to push, how in-the-zone I am, etc.

Last edited by Manifold; 02-03-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was an article which compared the the GT4 and RS, and noted that the N1 rubber of the RS tires seemed to have more grip than the N0 rubber of the GT4, especially in the wet.

My point was that a seemingly small difference in lap time translates into an obvious physical gap on the track, as the article indicates.

For me personally, 1.4s on a track of this length definitely isn't enough to justify the higher price of the RS. The GT3 is already fast enough, and N1 rubber should close some of the gap. I'd need the subjective experience of driving the car to be much superior, but even then it's more than I want to spend on a track car.

Agree that the gap between two 'advanced' DE drivers of the GT3 can easily be 1.4s or more. For that matter, my own lap time can vary by more than that based on tires, track conditions, how hard I want to push, how in-the-zone I am, etc.

Once again, 1.4sec is no game and not little.. As someone mentioned earlier, 15 car lengths difference?

N0 N1 issue is still theoritical, u can't rely on driver's feedback regarding this topic, and NO WAY a different version of the same tire could close a significant gap.. Maybe it's better in the wet only.. We don't know
Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by karimgt3
Once again, 1.4sec is no game and not little.. As someone mentioned earlier, 15 car lengths difference?

N0 N1 issue is still theoritical, u can't rely on driver's feedback regarding this topic, and NO WAY a different version of the same tire could close a significant gap.. Maybe it's better in the wet only.. We don't know
LOL, that 'someone' was me.

In racing, being consistently 1.4s faster per lap is a big deal, no doubt. For non-racing fun driving, 1.4s is much less significant, given that, as noted, the lap time variations among 'advanced' drivers of equal cars are often more than that, and the variation between cars in the same run group is usually much more than that.

If it's mainly about speed, RS loses to the Viper ACR and even the 991.2 Turbo S.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:48 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice read. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

During this same press day, we had the scribe at Excellence there and his times in the article had the GT3 faster than the RS. This just shows that less experienced drivers will have trouble maximizing the potential of the RS. I can't help but wonder what Jethro's personal times were in both- he's no slouch but.... the fact that the only times quoted are from Bergmeister speaks volumes.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
During this same press day, we had the scribe at Excellence there and his times in the article had the GT3 faster than the RS. This just shows that less experienced drivers will have trouble maximizing the potential of the RS. I can't help but wonder what Jethro's personal times were in both- he's no slouch but.... the fact that the only times quoted are from Bergmiester speaks volumes.
I also suspect that the setup of the cars may explain why sometimes we hear that the GT3 is easier to drive than the RS (Randy spinning the RS multiple times, etc.), other times we hear the opposite. There may be some variations in the setups of the cars as delivered from the factory, settings could be shifting as journalists hit curbs, etc., and it seems that the behavior of the cars is rather sensitive to the setup.

I too would like to know what Jethro's times were, especially in the GT3 and RS.

Quick Reply: EVO: 991 GT3 vs GT3RS vs Cup vs RSR