Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

OT: Audi vs. BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:54 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
All three brands are dead to me as recently they've all been just producing big, heavy, numb, turbo, expensive luxobarges that depreciate 50% in a few years.

This why I own two Porsches.

When I replace my 997.2 C2S daily driver, it won't be with one of those three brands.

well said - -agree
Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 307 Posts

2nd that. Depends on the model.

Audi seems the most lost these days. I owned 6 Audi's that I liked, yet they have nothing worth buying at the moment, in my opinion. I've had a good run with a GL350 polluter, and an E350 wagon, yet I had 2015 C63s AMG that was a total bummer. Really poor build quality and no character, despite a potent engine. Odd little car with a punishing ride. I currently have an F80 M3, which I like a great deal for daily work. However, it and the X5M are probably the only two cars I would buy from them.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:31 AM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have had a few M cars. Loved all of them. Ordered an M2 for my DD. Should arrive in April👍
Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Hashlak
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the AMGs Both my C63 and G63 never let me down

Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Audi seems the most lost these days.
Funny you say that, as they seem most consistent of the three to me...maybe too consistent...their models never seem to change.

I currently have one of each (if you consider Lamborghini an Audi), but like most here would not replace any of them with a new version. I like MB because they haven't abandoned the mid-sized wagon market in the US, but that may change with the new model, and BMW and Audi sell better ones overseas. I also like the AMG GT, though their recent announcement that all sporty models will have class+two digit AMG designation dilutes the whole AMG sub-brand.

Even as a full-on German car snob, for a new SUV I would go to RR, and for a new sedan I would probably go to Tesla. So I didn't vote in the poll.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:00 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Funny you say that, as they seem most consistent of the three to me...maybe too consistent...their models never seem to change.

I currently have one of each (if you consider Lamborghini an Audi), but like most here would not replace any of them with a new version. I like MB because they haven't abandoned the mid-sized wagon market in the US, but that may change with the new model, and BMW and Audi sell better ones overseas. I also like the AMG GT, though their recent announcement that all sporty models will have class+two digit AMG designation dilutes the whole AMG sub-brand.

Even as a full-on German car snob, for a new SUV I would go to RR, and for a new sedan I would probably go to Tesla. So I didn't vote in the poll.
Not sure I understand your midsize wagon comment. My wife loves her 328d wagon. Agree on RR. Just got a new one, and it's leagues ahead of anything from these 3, including Porsche. The Cayenne feels very outdated. Pixelated screens, old software, millions of buttons. The RR is so well designed on the interior, and the new Jag F-Pace looks just as nice. (Shares a lot of parts with the RR)
Old 01-28-2016, 03:00 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

My wife loves her X5m.

Personally I really like the Audi Q5S diesel. Perfect size and diesel is great and torque in a SUV. Real dials, no LED screens showing speed and rpm.

I'm probably in the minority but really dislike the new interiors with iPad touch screens instead of buttons. Those wheels and menus just complicate stuff to me. Love the cockpit feel of the Cayenne. Feels like you are in a 747 coming into JFK.

But to be honest, Any road car in Florida is boring, A BMW 730/Mercedes E is probably the best choice to avoid all the bumps on I4. Best and softest suspension wins.

The powerful SUVs and sedans really shines on the Autobahn. Thats what they are designed to do. Cover km after km at high speed.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:23 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
My wife loves her X5m.

Personally I really like the Audi Q5S diesel. Perfect size and diesel is great and torque in a SUV. Real dials, no LED screens showing speed and rpm.

I'm probably in the minority but really dislike the new interiors with iPad touch screens instead of buttons. Those wheels and menus just complicate stuff to me. Love the cockpit feel of the Cayenne. Feels like you are in a 747 coming into JFK.

But to be honest, Any road car in Florida is boring, A BMW 730/Mercedes E is probably the best choice to avoid all the bumps on I4. Best and softest suspension wins.

The powerful SUVs and sedans really shines on the Autobahn. Thats what they are designed to do. Cover km after km at high speed.
That does feel a bit behind the times. Perhaps you of an aging generation? ;-) The Audi infotainment system is terrible. Even the newest one in the Q7 isn't great. Porsche's is somehow worse, and that interior with 1000 buttons was never fashionable. The BMW, by contrast, has far fewer buttons, and the infotainment is the best in the business. For me, the computer system is something I use more than almost anything else. Most of the time I am just cruising down the highway, so an easy to use, yet powerful infotainment system is key.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Not sure I understand your midsize wagon comment. My wife loves her 328d wagon.
As I see it:

S-class/7-series/A8 = large
E-class/5-series/A6 = mid-sized
C-class/3-series/A4 = small
A-class/1-series/A3 = compact

The 3-series and A4/allroad wagons are both nice, especially the 328d, but too small for my needs. The 5-series and A6/S6/RS6 wagons are fantastic, and I wish BMW/Audi would sell them here; would save me from having to get an SUV. I agree that the F-pace, despite the stupid name, looks like a winner.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
As I see it:

S-class/7-series/A8 = large
E-class/5-series/A6 = mid-sized
C-class/3-series/A4 = small
A-class/1-series/A3 = compact

The 3-series and A4/allroad wagons are both nice, especially the 328d, but too small for my needs. The 5-series and A6/S6/RS6 wagons are fantastic, and I wish BMW/Audi would sell them here; would save me from having to get an SUV. I agree that the F-pace, despite the stupid name, looks like a winner.
I guess, but the current 3 series is as big as the previous 5 series, so there isn't much of a difference. To be honest, the storage capacity difference between my RR and 328d is surprisingly small. When I measured against a Cayenne, there was only a tiny amount more usable cargo space.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:27 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
That does feel a bit behind the times. Perhaps you of an aging generation? ;-) The Audi infotainment system is terrible. Even the newest one in the Q7 isn't great. Porsche's is somehow worse, and that interior with 1000 buttons was never fashionable. The BMW, by contrast, has far fewer buttons, and the infotainment is the best in the business. For me, the computer system is something I use more than almost anything else. Most of the time I am just cruising down the highway, so an easy to use, yet powerful infotainment system is key.
I know I'm getting old at 37. I really like to drive, not to much of a music person. And often get lost even with GPS.
No way I can stop evolution and will probably drive a Tesla down the road. Worst looking interior. I absolutely hate panorama roof. Always liked dark headliners. I want it dark and cosy when I drive, don't like convertibles. I know I'm different than most. Thats probably why I like the cayenne interior better than BMW/Audi/Mercedes. Less complicated and more driver focused.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

porsche
if porshe doesn't make that type of vehicle, you mostly likely should modify your lifestyle so you dont need such type of vehicle. one crazy man's opinion of course.

seriously as a former bimmerhead, bmw has not had anything remotely interesting for a loooong time.

amg is so so. but amg BS is good stuff. way better than bmw
Old 01-30-2016, 05:21 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
porsche if porshe doesn't make that type of vehicle, you mostly likely should modify your lifestyle so you dont need such type of vehicle. one crazy man's opinion of course. seriously as a former bimmerhead, bmw has not had anything remotely interesting for a loooong time. amg is so so. but amg BS is good stuff. way better than bmw
You got a point. That's probably why DD cars are not that interesting. The idea is to get you from point A to B. On track you don't get anywhere... Back to the same position over and over again. Now, That's fun.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Before Porsche, I was an Audi guy. I owned 12 in a row between 1986 and 2010, when I traded in my last S4 Avant on a Panamera 4S. I traded in that car on a Panamera GTS in 2013, shortly before Audi released the RS7. I've had my eye on that car ever since, and finally traded in my P-GTS on an RS7 just last month. I've also owned 7 Porsches between 2007 and the present.

To the poster above who said all Audis are boring, I respectfully disagree. Granted it's not my GT3, but if you need or want a large 4 door, with awd etc, it's one heck of a car. Gobs of power, terrific amenities, and vastly less expensive than a Panamera Turbo S which has similar power. If the PTS and the RS7 were the same price, I'd go for the Panny. But at a price delta of about $60K, the RS7 wins in my book. Besides, it looks better!

DMoore
'15 GT3
'16 Audi RS7
Old 01-31-2016, 02:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

^ had B5 B6 S4, RS6. S6 avant S4 avant ok cars, but panamera is way better for me.

Quick Reply: OT: Audi vs. BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz