Sponsored by:

LA track days

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:03 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 680 Posts
Default LA track days

I'm new to LA, having moved here from Philadelphia 6 weeks ago.

Back east I regularly participated in track days run by NASA and PCA, more with NASA, as the PCA guys were generally **** to the point of limiting everyone's fun, and I don't see that PCA of southern california is organizing any track days this year as far as I can tell.

I did notice that speedistrict is organizing a GT3 track day next weekend, which I can't make, and it got me wondering how do the LA guys typically get to the track? I'm definitely up for the next track day in LA someone does after next weekend.

Are there other organizations I should look into for track time around LA?

Also if any of the LA rennlisters can recommend a local LA racing coach, I'd appreciate it. I've been through two racing schools and I'm a decent driver, but I recognize that I still have plenty to learn and would like to further my skills with some one on one instruction.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

PCA San Deigo is great. The Golden Gate Region has an annual event in May at Buttonwillow, always preceded with the Central Coast Chapter. I believe the CCC did two events at BW last year. They are pretty **** about offs, but tolerable.

You'll find lots of events at BW, Willow Springs, Chuckwalla, etc. and Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in near Las Vegas is well worth the drive. Check the calendar on each track's web site.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:49 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best group in LA is POC. they have events almost every month. here is the website.

https://porscheclubracing.org
Old 01-18-2016, 02:05 AM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

poc good for a race license and a good start to racing. www.speedventures.com is a fairly big and often.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:07 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

LA area groups include PCA Chapters in San Diego, Orange Coast and Grand Prix (Long Beach). All 3 sponsor DE and TT events over the year. San Diego and Orange Coast also have very active AX programs. POC has a regular schedule of PDS (Performance Driving Series) events, as well at TT's.
Private companies with regular schedules include SpeedVentures and Hooked on Driving. During the season - predominantly Spring and Fall - you can be driving every weekend if you want.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'16 RS7
Instructor for PCA (DE and AX), POC (PDS) and SpeedVentures
Old 01-18-2016, 02:40 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

I used to live in LA and tracked with the following fairly regularly:

POC - very good program
SpeedVentures - from 2004-2013 they were great. Aaron always ran a tight ship. I have heard some feedback recently though that they have gotten a little wild west.
HOD - run with them often in NorCal
PCA GGR - awesome

Definitely try out AAA Roval, Buttonwillow, WSIR and Streets of Willow. All different and all fun in their own way. AAA and WSIR demand respect or will punish you accordingly. Have fun and good luck!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:54 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Poc de amd tt are good but the group is more competition oriented. The driving instructors are good fast and some a little insane (in a good way)

San Diego pca is excellent as is ggr for de. As is hooked on driving

NASA not for de
Speed ventures depends
Ncrc kinda wild
Speed district heard good
Extreme speed run away

Aaa roval, aaa infield, big Willow, streets of Willow, chuckwalla, buttonwillow, thermal all within 2-3 hours. Little further is spring mountain then up north Laguna, Sears point, thunderhill.

Are you racing or hpde driving? I don't see a race car in your profile...

I did almost 30 track days last year. Pca SDR is on track next weekend. Sold out tho.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:11 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

SD PCA and GGR PCA are the best then Las Vegas PCA for Spring Mountain. Speed District runs a good show too with lots of track time. Chuckwalla (the track) runs private track weekends once every other month with lots of track time. Speed Ventures can have some yahoos, especially in the intermediate groups...try to stay in Green or Red (advanced groups). Avoid Extreme Speed, NASA, and NCRC. My favorite tracks are Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, Spring Mountain, and Thunderhill.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:15 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

Speedventures: less expensive, wide variety of cars, 25 min run groups, transponders
Hooked On Driving: very professional, only run them in NorCal but they are good
Fast Toys Car Club: expensive but the format is open track all day. no run groups. mostly McLaren, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari and crazy vintage cars
Speed District: going to their event for the first time next weekend
Star Cars at Chuckwalla: really well organized but Chuckwalla is SUPER hard on front tires. great track though.
Thermal Club: you have to know a member or buy a membership. the best maintained surface outside of COTA that I have experienced. Lots of guard rails however.
LA Track Days: I ran one event with them, no run groups just open track, however not sure what their schedule is. really enjoyed it.

Track List:

Fontana (Auto Club Roval)- high top speed, easy on tires/brakes
Willow Springs: high cornering speeds, hard on front tires,
Streets of Willow: tight technical track, hard on brakes and tires
Buttonwillow: flowing technical track, easy on tires, medium top speed- Multiple Configurations
Thermal: high top speeds, hard on brakes, easy on tires
Chuckwalla: medium top speed, medium on brakes, hard on tires- bi-directional
Spring Mountain (NV but closer than Laguna Seca): never driven, multiple configurations
Old 01-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

POC
Old 01-18-2016, 12:33 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

POC
Old 01-18-2016, 12:52 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

I think everyone has it covered. Just wanted to reiterate to avoid extreme speed at all costs. Their fees are inexpensive for a reason.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 144 Posts

Also check out BMWCCA. They allow other marques, and run well organized, safe events.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Also check out BMWCCA. They allow other marques, and run well organized, safe events.
BMW CCA is great if you are looking for instruction. But their fees are high and once you are in the high intermediate/advanced level and you want the training wheels off (aka drive without having an instructor in your car at all times) then you move on to other track groups.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 680 Posts

Thank you everyone!

All your comments are very helpful. It's good to know I have multiple options to choose from in LA. I live in OC so San Diego PCA is very doable.

I typically prefer well-run HPDE or private track days with people I know. I don't want to risk damaging my $150,000 GT3 because of some yahoo who thinks he is senna but driving crazy.

I haven't done actual races yet. Maybe someday after I've further honed my skills(and saved some more money....) After two racing schools including the Porsche masters course, and a dozen track days, I'm a decent driver and typically run in group 4 of 4, as I get bored or feel unsafe in the lower groups, but I'd like to practice for a while in group 4.

I noticed two people recommended against NASA out here. Can you elaborate? I enjoyed tracking with NASA out east as it was fun to run against many different types of cars, not just Porsches. NASA was well organized in the mid-Atlantic region, maybe not so much in California?

I plan to try out several of the groups everyone recommended including POC, PCA SD and others.

Always enjoying spending time with other car nuts.

Last edited by Drifting; 01-19-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: LA track days