Sponsored by:

MPSC2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:13 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default MPSC2

"Tire Rack says that tires in this category should not be driven on below 40 F and should not even be exposed to temperatures below 32 F -- and if the latter occurs, they should be allowed to return to higher temperatures very gradually and not disturbed until that happens". Read this over on the GT4 forum, any thoughts to it's relevance, a lot of us live in colder climates?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Well. living in Canada this is not a new phenomenon for me, and as a habit I do not drive an RS if the temps are under about 45; I have not heard the 'exposure to 32" recommendation before though. As I recall this general recommendation was around even from the 997 RS.1, but I cannot recall when I was first aware of it.

I now keep one car on Michelin SuperSports which are fine for colder days and for me provide more wet grip on the track too...
Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I read the same and the tire indeed has very poor grip at or below 40F but the UK Michelin website says not to use them or expose to temps below 14F:

MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2: A tire designed for the track, and approved for on-road use
Track Longevity 2.0® technology
Deeper tread
Porsche 918 Spyder x MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2: 6:57, Nürburgring lap time record
MICHELIN TOTAL PERFORMANCE
Conditions of Use
MICHELIN Pilot Sport CUP 2 is a track tire (semi slick tire), which meets the legal requirements for use on the public highway.
This tire has been specifically optimized for use on a dry track. On a wet track or road, where there is a risk of aquaplaning, adapt your driving style by reducing your speed and leaving the safety and driver assistance systems connected

For track and road handling reasons, the fitting of a set of 4 MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 is strongly advised

Before Fast Circuit Use always
o Verify the condition of your tyres, checking for wear & damage
o Build up to the temperature of the tyres gradually by a few more moderate paced laps

After running on the circuit and before returning to the road, consider
• Always check the condition of your tyres to ensure they are safe and comply with relevant local traffic laws
• Allow the tyres to cool ideally before making appropriate pressure adjustments
• Re-adjust your cold tyre pressures in accordance with the pressure recommended by the car manufacture
• If they have been disconnected/switch off, re-instate all safety systems, driver aids and tyre pressure monitoring

INFLATION PRESSURE ADVICES

Information will be updated soon

CAUTION !
• If not used for a prolonged period of time, remove the MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres (mounted on their wheels) and reduce their pressure to half their normal value to store
• Store tyres in a clean, dry area, away from direct sunlight and above 0°C (32°F) in accordance with the information provided by Michelin in technical documentation or their website
Do Not use, store or handle MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres at ambient temperatures below -10°C (14°F)
• Under these conditions the tyre components can degrade, resulting in reduced performance, and at low temperatures can lead to cracks in the tyre compound and hence reduce potential in use
• Never use a tyre with cracks, breaks or damage to the sidewall or tread. If in any doubt please consult your local Michelin technical department
• When using for long periods in an intensive manner on circuits, please be aware that damage can occur to the tyre and its carcass from regularly running over the kerbs at the side of the circuit
• In the case of prolonged running over the kerbs (or also running heavily off the track) it is advisable to verify the internal condition of the tyre and it’s construction by demounting it from the wheel and having it professionally inspected for any damage, both on the interior and the exterior of the tyre
• It is advisable to visually check the tyres after each run, prior to going back onto the circuit
Old 01-17-2016, 01:45 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

This is why I have not switched to Sport Cups for my daily driven 991TT. Although it doesn't get all that cold here, temps can get into the low 40s and high 30s at night, and I don't really want low grip driving home some evening.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a soft compound tire freezes and you try and move your car it will crack. That's why they say let it warm up gradually
Old 01-17-2016, 03:29 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

They are like hockey pucks in the real cold weather.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:38 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I love hockey pucks just not on my car........
Old 01-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a real problem the cup tires can crack at the low temps as stated earlier. This was an issue with several Z06 winter deliveries apparently.

Quick Reply: MPSC2