Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For anyone interested, 3 RS allotment and GT3 available

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 AM
911Monte
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Rhode Island and Massachusetts have excise property tax on autos that can run into the thousands per year on cars like this. I assumed because the property (car) resides in the state, despite it being registered to another state, you could still be legally liable for the taxes and they could come after you for it plus interest and penalties. Hopefully someone with expertise can chime in.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:29 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a good idea to keep the articles of your LLC in car to validate your registration.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I fear these are not new allocations trickling... But existing allocations/VIP... Not sure there is any problem getting an RS at $150k over MSRP...
Or you could go Obi-Wan Kenobi and say "At these prices, these are not the Allocations you are looking for... Move along"

Let some Schmuck pay those prices. At this rate I would never pay almost 84% over the base price of this car to own what will eventually be an depreciating asset!

We don't know where RS production will be six months or a year down the road or longer. Let some hedge fund manager waste his money on this. This time next year they could be going for just MSRP or so. Same thing happened on the rush to buy the 997.2RS, just not as expansive. An issue at hand for these prices is the stop sale which is over but it still lays it's burden on prices and valuations over MSRP at the dealerships.

Last edited by The New 911; 01-05-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 GT3
I read this link and it's right on what my experience has been. I use a different agent that is a bit less expensive. I also like the cars are owned by a limited liability co. God forbid something happened i.e.: accident or personal injury and the LLC protects against personal asset suit. Also carry a large umbrella policy in case someone drowns in my swimming pool etc that will cover a lawsuit to grab my personal assets. Gotta protect yourself at all times. Worked too hard to allow an accident to bankrupt me.
What state do you reside, as I am seriously considering this? I keep hearing people say they do this, but don't know anyone personally. I have several LLCs but not in tax advantaged states. I have a complicated tax structure and pay out the a$$.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM
MS7044
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

In a no income tax state I don't mind some sales tax and annual registration costs as my state I at least feel doesn't totally **** away its tax money (but wastes plenty Im sure) unlike CA or our great federal government, though I admire anyone minimizing tax. That said does a Montana LLC allow one to get a DL issued in Montana? In my experience of bringing some cars from Texas to Nevada and keeping Texas registration the DL mismatch is what caused me a problem with LE. And on the spot in a nice car LE, as we all know can be unforgiving and trying to debate them or God forbid a DMV employee or state revenue agent can be arduous. I have seen some hyper cars in Vegas with Montana tags and they certainly are not true Montana residents. All that said after paying first time registration on a 3800 cc car in Asia the US taxes are peanuts literally regardless of state.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

California has a hotline to report this type of thing, so if a neighbor gets pissed and rats you out you pay the tax 3X as a penalty. Lots of folks do this w RVs. The state looks at how much time the car was in the state vs where its registered, so if you can't prove that you were in Montana for X amount of time with receipts etc, its a challenge. Also for guys who don't drive their cars much, if the miles are less than the distance from your state to Montana you have issues.

Not sure its worth the risk.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 AM
ssort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And in some states they use satellite photo's to see if you have an RV or boat outside on your property. Then they X reference that with the vehicles registered at that address. if their are none then they dig more...............
Old 01-05-2016, 10:03 AM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its really gonna blow when the 991.2 RS comes out and all the .1 RS cars come back down from heaven. If you want to make money on your RS, sell it now...these crazy mark ups wont last.

If 150k for the RS...imagine how much the 911 R is gonna command. smh
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for not reaching this but was the 997.1 RS marked up like this when they came out? I don't recall but I was a turbo guy then.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM
RDH
Racer

states are cracking down on this....money you save on taxes keep in a box for your defense fund .....your neighbors & people in the area will report you....everyone knows what you are doing ....
Old 01-05-2016, 10:41 AM
The New 911
Pro

I registered my car in Nevada for two years after moving back to California when I was poor and younger. Bought the car brand new in Reno, an Impreza, and didn't have to pay state tax. Then I came back to California to work and had to re up my registration. The state wanted something over $1700 for excise tax because Nevada didn't charge for it.

At that time I had just bought my first home and there was no way I could afford pay that amount on registration. So me and the misses drove back to Reno and paid something around $300 or lower. Did the same thing the next year. Then finally bought a new car in California using the Impreza as a trade. My issue was way more financial hardship than one of trying to save a ton of money on fee's in one's home state.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Sorry for not reaching this but was the 997.1 RS marked up like this when they came out? I don't recall but I was a turbo guy then.
Yes. Some changed hands well over $200k; about $75k over iircc. Not bad considering this was 7-8 years ago. That said, part of the hype was due to the rumor that this was the only RS to hit our shores. On a different topic, not nearly as much performance separation between the .1 GT3 and RS as with the .2s or 991s.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 GT3
I have set up an LLC fir a Montana holding company. Completely legal whether cops like it or not. Stands up to the IRS etc. I've done this with a 991 GT3 and a 997.2 4.0. I'd be happy to share the information. Setting up a Montana LLC and obtain a tax ID pay the nominal filing fees. They tag and handle renewals each year. Very simple and prob saved me around 20k in state sales taxes. A lot of folks do this with motor coaches , planes etc etc. it's a legal loophole and I'll take every legal loophole I can find. I think I pay enough taxes as it is. This is a win for the good guys.
Sorry, this is not legal in the State of California if you are a legal resident of the State and drive the vehicle regularly on roads in the State. If you are both of those, the vehicle needs to be registered in the State. You may be able to get away with it, but it's not legal.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Msmatt
California has a hotline to report this type of thing, so if a neighbor gets pissed and rats you out you pay the tax 3X as a penalty. Lots of folks do this w RVs. The state looks at how much time the car was in the state vs where its registered, so if you can't prove that you were in Montana for X amount of time with receipts etc, its a challenge. Also for guys who don't drive their cars much, if the miles are less than the distance from your state to Montana you have issues.

Not sure its worth the risk.
Yup. Sometimes they even audit the storage places. I had a boat stored in my county. Wasn't even aware that the county had a property tax of boats. They tracked the boat to me through the storage location and billed me for the tax and penalties.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I register my cars through my dealership or through my texas address. texas has started requesting a visual inspection in texas and smog in texas as part of the registration. It is cheaper to ship my CGT to the dealer for smog than to register it in CA so I do that.

Quick Reply: For anyone interested, 3 RS allotment and GT3 available