Sponsored by:

Tracking Porsches and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:54 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tracking Porsches and Warranty

I dont own a Porsche but I follow this forum (GT3 to be exact) closely and I have been considering a GT3 as my weekend/track car (along with Z06 and GT350R).

I have recently seen a thread here where it was mentioned that someone's warranty claim was denied because he was using non oem tires. There were also some comments in that thread and other threads after doing a search that not only Porsche does not provide warranty for issues that can arise during track use but also if they ever catch you, they make a permanent note in their system for the VIN.

I wanted to confirm if my understanding above is correct. If yes, please read on...

First, Porsche advertises this car as a track car. The head of the engineering who appears in every GT3 and RS video and brags about a million things about the car mentions that such and such was done for tracking and so on. The theme of this car is tracking. I find it pathetic that they go to such lengths and deny your claims for tracking. The fact that they deny claims for non oem tires is also ridiculous. Second, I am puzzled for a car that has no tracking warranty, people still pay msrp plus (for rs we all know the markups) and they are fine with the way porsche treats them as customers. Is there something I am missing that is obvious? Unless you have extremely deep pockets (which I know some of you do given the list of cars you own), you would be crazy to own this car and track it with its non proven 9000 rpm engine in the long term knowing there is no warranty for it. I always thought that the customer base for a Gt3 was the hard core true track lovers so while I can relate to a waxer playing the sticker plus game for a turbo or a macan, I dont understand how such hardcore enthusiasts put up with this.

Next, what is your view on other car manufacturer's covering track usage (and in fact, encouraging it) to the point, they give you specific tracking instructions (suspension settings, oil, coolant etc) in the user manual of the car. Corvette and Viper have no such policies and have full warranty coverage.

Call me naive but I always assumed that Porsche would stand behind their product and cover track usage. I dont understand how anyone would pay twice, three times of a gt350r or z06 for a gt3rs and then be in a position of warranty denial for using the car the way it was meant to be while those "lesser" cars would not have this problem. I never thought Porsche would sell this car just for show, it is a track car at the end of the day. You dont see GM denying z06 claims do you? Sorry I feel really disappointed as this will probably be a deal breaker for me
Old 01-01-2016, 05:17 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't have a GT Porsche but my dealer services my S before every track event I do. Does this mean they are going to warrant my car? I don't know. But I can tell you this they expect me to drive it like a Porsche is supposed to be driven, HARD.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

1 I have not heard warranty denied for non oem tires. I don't think that's even legal in USA. of course slicks are to be excluded. slicks are for race cars and if I wer Porsche i certainly will not warranty a street car on slicks

2 I do not think Porsche marketed the car as a TRACK car.. it's a street car that can be enjoyed in track. I track a lot... if someone who puts serious track mioes in a car, they really should pick up their own tab. these are street cars. a track car would a a gt3 cup car. it has no warranty. that said, if Porsche wants to warranty my cars, great. I appreciate it. if they choose not to, then I just pay for it.

3 I have tracked many brands on track, while Porsche is $$$ it has the least amount of track failure in my experience. u can drive a gt3 to track from show room, hace u tried that with a BMW, Nissan, zo6? they simply melt or blow up.

zo6 needs a LOT of work to get on track. go take a stick kne on track. if it doesn't overheat in u, u are likey too slow.

I have not tried viper act yet, but viper of last dies on track.

btw how gt3 amd RS are not MEANT to be used on track all day. that's what cup cars are for. gt3/RS are just like any other car u see at supermarket or homedepot. it's a STRRET car. I think too,often ppl are not understanding what a TRACK car really is....
Old 01-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

I've never heard of a warranty claim being denied for using non-OEM tires either but I guess it's possible depending on the particular circumstances; using slicks, for example, as mooty mentioned.

As for track use, unlike previous models, the 991 GT3 is explicitly covered for track use and a booklet explaining the additional service intervals that must be followed is included with the rest of the documentation that comes with the car. No doubt there are circumstances where Porsche might refuse to cover a car used in competition, but for normal DE's or autocross, for example, there should be no problem.
Attached Images       
Old 01-01-2016, 06:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Basically what Mike in CA said.

As to reading about an instance where a warranty claim is denied because of track use, there are so many variables that go into why and how a warranty claim is approved or denied.

Things like, was the car modified from OEM spec? Different diameter wheels? Different size tires? Slicks (as mentioned above)? Different brake fluid or pads? Etc.

But, like Mike in CA posted, Porsche specifically warrants track use. As such it is Porsche's burden of proof to show that your use of the GT3 on the track somehow voids your warranty claim.

As to recording your VIN, this is only done if you post a "For Sale" ad and claim that your GT3 "has never seen rain".
Old 01-01-2016, 06:48 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why exactly is slicks not allowed? Sorry, I believe that instance I was referring to was slicks and I thought they are no different than cup2 tires except more aggressive. If slicks are not allowed, then what about drag radials? I have been a car guy for maybe 10 years and I have never heard slicks voiding warranty. Maybe it is something that is widely known and accepted but I missed it.

Also would like to refer to this post : https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post10764468 and the thread that post belongs to.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
So why exactly is slicks not allowed? Sorry, I believe that instance I was referring to was slicks and I thought they are no different than cup2 tires except more aggressive. If slicks are not allowed, then what about drag radials? I have been a car guy for maybe 10 years and I have never heard slicks voiding warranty. Maybe it is something that is widely known and accepted but I missed it.

Also would like to refer to this post : https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post10764468 and the thread that post belongs to.
Diehard track rats can better answer this question but basically it adds so much more stress on the car than street tires. More lateral forces, more G, etc.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

if u ate fast enough on slicks, the g generated will tear apart the suspemsion. that's why race cars time things out.

MPSC is not slick. it's just street tires.

Michelin blue
Pirelli dh
yoko advan

these are slicks

while Porsche says track warranty. when u make a warranty clea in, I believe that ome kniw when a warranty is reason le when it is not. if I m on full slicks and my ac blew up, I fully expect to be covered.

if I drove on STRRET tire but after 30 days, wheel bearing gives out, if they covered it GRRAT. if not, I don't blame them. high g, quick direction changes, bouncing off apex berms... u kniw the drill.

I have never been denied warranty by Porsche but I have always been reasonable and understand when I'm right.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig

Documentation that comes with the cars states the slicks prohibition clearly. For the GT3 it says slicks potentially subject the body and chassis to higher loads than designed. (My Cayman R says no slicks due to potential oil starvation- it's not dry sump.) To me, wheels, brakes, hubs, bearings, are all wear items on track. If my PDK craps out or the motor goes pop at 9k on track and I've followed the maintenance requirements I expect those to be covered.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Im in no hurry to time out brake and suspension components due to running slicks.
Im running against time, improving skills. Slicks go faster but offer no more fun and cost more.. If you are racing the car in a series where slicks are allowed. Just pay and you go faster. In Germany where they race there's cars in full factory Club Sport spec, also no slicks allowed..
Old 01-02-2016, 04:38 AM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Hoosier r7 count as slick?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

It's a car that can be driven on both street and track - not just a street car. The warranty covers both uses, and indicates what additional inspection and maintenance are required for track use.

You can use slicks, but if something fails because of the slicks, Porsche is clear that they're not on the hook for that. Any other changes you make to the car (brake pads, suspension components, etc.) can also result in denial of warranty coverage if Porsche deems that those changes caused something to fail. Consumables are of course not covered by the warranty.

Compared to race cars, a nice thing about the GT3 is that things like the engine and transmission will presumably not need rebuilds nearly as often. But it's not impossible for Porsche to attribute premature engine or even transmission failure to using slicks, so be careful.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:38 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically, no. DOT approved.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:12 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Did they ban you from Corvette forums?
Old 01-02-2016, 03:27 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
Did they ban you from Corvette forums?
Ouch!

Maybe he was reading some posts from Mikymu on the Corvette forums, bragging about how he used to track Porsches.

Quick Reply: Tracking Porsches and Warranty