Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking Porsches and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 04:39 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It hasn't been an issue here in Canada. I've got first hand experience that track use will not void warranty. I also know 3 guys with 991 GT3 that had issues on track (in one case, the dealer principal was with us) and never had any issue with getting their cars fixed under warranty. No one was running slicks, but we all had exhaust mods.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Nodrip
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are losing a really big advantage if they are not covering track usage anymore.

But so far I never heard about this kind of denial.
I think one RS got the PDK changed at my dealership, few month ago. It happened at the track and was covered by the warranty.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
What about the RS? Do they have it?
From August 2015 the book is fir RS and GT3 so same wording.

Looks possible after MY14 the final decision on a claim at the track may fall to the goodwill of the dealer and Porsche. Reality is I don't think this will be an issue. I think Chris situation was a mistake by PAG quickly retracted but served to good purpose in the s reviewing these documents and identifying these changes. Better to be informed etc...
Old 09-02-2016, 06:34 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

So tons of people have been covered and one guy in Europe (where the terms were originally different, right?) had a bump in the road and now the sky is falling as it pertains to the warranty? Not sure we can count on out of warranty coverage but it seems like nothing else has changed.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:10 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

+1 What Mooty said (It's a street car primarily that can run on the track).

What I remain curious about is what Porsche has for information on track hours with the 991 GT3 motor as compared with the 997 GT3 variants? Surely Porsche knows how many hours both engines run from their own testing.

I also wonder the impact the VW scandal and related costs will have on Porsche's willingness to step up with gray-shaded warranty issues going forward.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
From August 2015 the book is fir RS and GT3 so same wording.

Looks possible after MY14 the final decision on a claim at the track may fall to the goodwill of the dealer and Porsche. Reality is I don't think this will be an issue. I think Chris situation was a mistake by PAG quickly retracted but served to good purpose in the s reviewing these documents and identifying these changes. Better to be informed etc...
Sounds right to me. Haven't heard anyone else not being looked after within warranty time. Probably no reason to panic if you run street tires.
Still qurious to hear APs wording when he shows the 991.2gt3! He was very open about track warranty when the gen1 was released.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed. I think AP will tone it down for the 991.2 GT3. Hes already on record at Goodwood last July saying the car will not be a "step function" but rather a "tweak" of the 991 GT3. There's not many places left he can put his foot, poor guy! He cant talk too strongly about the manual option version (as he already pumped the PDK in 2013). Using the word "improved reliability" for the engine will be the equivalent of professional suicide. There arent any cosmetic changes I can see worth lamenting about (it now has a GT4 style front valence, the wheels and tyres are likely the same as outgoing model and the rear wing looks to be identical style, if not a fraction more elevated). I can only hope they have allowed him to fit CF front fenders so he has something exciting to tell us. Obviously there will be improved EPS and RWS calibrations and a 40-50lb weight saving for the MT variant with its lighter box and (presumably) mechanical diff (which will likely add weight in). I cant see the interior being a major step forward, perhaps a few lbs less sound deadening, a new PCM and steering wheel (old hat by now).

When the announcement comes I think the track junkies will be more concerned about the track warranty and the MT Ring time than the new style door handle apertures! Funny thing is I dont believe they will publish a MT lap time - we will have to wait for SportAuto to do that. I expect the PDK version time to drop by 3s a lap based on small improved rear down-force along with power and torque bump from the (assumed) 4.0L engine etc.

Really at this stage for me at least its "nothing to see here please move on". To be perfectly honest Im more intrigued to hear about the GT2RS which I hope will be launched around the same time.

Of course there could be the shock factor (3.8L 490bhp engine, September release etc). Oh, and a totally new engine design nothing related to the 250MM they have spent on the current MA units and all the development on fixes etc - yes that little gem!
Old 09-03-2016, 11:21 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
So tons of people have been covered and one guy in Europe (where the terms were originally different, right?) had a bump in the road and now the sky is falling as it pertains to the warranty? Not sure we can count on out of warranty coverage but it seems like nothing else has changed.
Exactly.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:58 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Believe Porsche is going to be very vague on written warranty info as it relates to the track. Dealership service departments want the business. They know that many of their GT3 customers are fastidious with maintaining the GT3 for the track. As long as you are taking the car for service - don't think there will be an issue. On the other hand if you are campaigning your GT3 likes it's a Cup car and aren't using the dealership for routine service - suspect that you might have an issue.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:16 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

+1^ I only use my local dealer for service. Over the years I am way ahead of the game.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:39 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Not sure we can count on out of warranty coverage but it seems like nothing else has changed.
I'd say A LOT has changed. Porsche now has an undisputed legal way out of fixing motors of tracked cars if they choose to, even on Porsche sanctioned events. That's pretty significant in my book. Those assuming nothing has changed are taking a huge risk. Those who know they might not be covered but want the car anyway, are the smart kind.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:39 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I'd say A LOT has changed. Porsche now has an undisputed legal way out of fixing motors of tracked cars if they choose to, even on Porsche sanctioned events. That's pretty significant in my book. Those assuming nothing has changed are taking a huge risk. Those who know they might not be covered but want the car anyway, are the smart kind.
The warranty language is not new. The warranty book exclusions go back to at least MY2012. The warranty book applies to all the models. There is not a unique warranty for GT3s. At least as far as this thread reporting is concerned Porsche has continued to repair problems including for tracked cars. Past warranty nobody knows but I'm not assuming any coverage. This is my interpretation for US market cars.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:29 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
The warranty language is not new. The warranty book exclusions go back to at least MY2012. The warranty book applies to all the models. There is not a unique warranty for GT3s. At least as far as this thread reporting is concerned Porsche has continued to repair problems including for tracked cars. Past warranty nobody knows but I'm not assuming any coverage. This is my interpretation for US market cars.
Excluding coverage for the track is not surprising. If a defect in the car causes a serious accident or fatality, wouldn't excluding defects that occur on the track help limit liability? Excluding track events may also help them to avoid repairing a less track capable car that is run exclusively on the track. One would think the GT3 is built to withstand track duty so it's not clear why the same warranty exclusion is applied to that or higher grade models.

I suspect many people don't read the fine print. The road side assistance for at least one of my cars excludes coverage if the car has non-Porsche wheels.
Never heard of a problem with this but these words don't give me confidence that I can count on Porsche.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Think about this: why would Porsche include a booklet about tracking the car if it is unfit to be used that way? IMHO even if the wording excludes track use, PCNA would had a hard time convincing a judge/jury that car was used improperly if it was serviced according to the booklet. If Porsche really wants to exclude any track warranty/liability they need to exclude that booklet from the owners manual.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:12 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Think about this: why would Porsche include a booklet about tracking the car if it is unfit to be used that way? IMHO even if the wording excludes track use, PCNA would had a hard time convincing a judge/jury that car was used improperly if it was serviced according to the booklet. If Porsche really wants to exclude any track warranty/liability they need to exclude that booklet from the owners manual.
...or clearly stating "Tracking your GT3 will VOID Warranty" period.......

Quick Reply: Tracking Porsches and Warranty