ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

I am still sticking with my prediction for 991.2 GTs:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12657109

GT3 - NO 991.2 GT3
GT3 RS - NO 991.2 GT3 RS
GT2 - PDK only
GT2 RS - PDK only
GTR/991R - NA & Manual only (LWBs, narrow body, no wing, might have ducktail)
GT4 - NA & Manual only

But, if the cleaning lady is right, that would be even better for my wallet
Old 12-13-2015 | 10:56 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
C'mon, people. The rumor makes no sense. AP told a tent full of very loyal people that the 991.2 GT3 and RS would not be significantly different than the 991.1 versions. These products are done, and likely have been for a while. Porsche did not drastically change their minds in the last six weeks about a product launching next year - car manufacturing just doesn't work that way.

And to remind everybody, at RRV he also implied a GT2 is on the way. Is there room in the market for a Turbo, Turbo S, GT3 Turbo, GT3RS Turbo, and GT2? That's slicing the sausage awfully thin.

Then ask yourself if they really developed the 991.1 GT3 motor for only a two year run. That makes no sense, either.

Add that after the 718 broke this week, the press has been quoting the GT4 and GT3 to continue as N/A. They don't make that stuff up.

Cleaning lady has been in the supply closet with the ammonia too long...

I agree completely. AP seems like a pretty believable guy and over the past few months (including rennsport reunion) he has said over and over that the GT3 will remain NA as long as he is in charge. The production numbers for these cars is low enough that it will barely affect the average emissions standard enough for that to be a consideration IMO.
Old 12-13-2015 | 11:37 AM
PPP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ak432
I agree completely. AP seems like a pretty believable guy and over the past few months (including rennsport reunion) he has said over and over that the GT3 will remain NA as long as he is in charge. The production numbers for these cars is low enough that it will barely affect the average emissions standard enough for that to be a consideration IMO.
Another fact to support the non turbo GT3RS.2 is that the current engine will be used for race/cup cars for next several years.
Old 12-13-2015 | 12:26 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

VW is bleeding right now. My concern is that there are going to be swift actions taken to cut costs ect. From a financial standpoint it makes perfect sense to expedite turbo charging the entire line. Look at Ferrari, build it and they will still come. If they put out a TC GT3 in 2017 that is tri-turbo to eliminate all lag ect - they will probably sell them all because many of us would store our NA cars because they will be a hot commodity in 5 years- not like they are not already.

I think the GT4 is done for NA. They are not making an RS version and I think they just pumped out 3000 of so of these to deplete their spare parts and to gap time until they were ready to start the 911 line which is now starting to produce the TC engines.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:03 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
What of this quote, circa September 2015? "This morning I put these questions to August Achleitner, the man in charge of 911 development at Porsche, who revealed firstly the next generation of GT3 engine WILL use natural aspiration. Purists can breathe a sigh of relief. Achleitner said: “Some people are concerned about us changing to the turbocharged engine and how this will affect other models, but we would like to keep natural aspiration to run in parallel with the turbocharged engine and so for the next generation the GT3 will be naturally aspirated.”" Seems pretty cut and dry http://www.total911.com/exclusive-po...lly-aspirated/
This was before the giant diesel mess. Once VW announced the number went from 500,000 US cars to millions worldwide, all bets and quotes by Porsche reps are off. Clean will be the name of the game for VW to save face.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:14 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Time to scoop up some 991 GT3's!
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
VW is bleeding right now. My concern is that there are going to be swift actions taken to cut costs ect. From a financial standpoint it makes perfect sense to expedite turbo charging the entire line. Look at Ferrari, build it and they will still come. If they put out a TC GT3 in 2017 that is tri-turbo to eliminate all lag ect - they will probably sell them all because many of us would store our NA cars because they will be a hot commodity in 5 years- not like they are not already.
Drastically changing a completed product plan ($$$) and accelerating development of a new engine ($$$...and even more $$$ if they botch it again) to sell a few hundred cars to Rennlist freaks that are going to mothball their 991.1s a few years earlier does not make any sense to me.

Selling as many high-margin cars as they can where there is high demand and no further investment required for development or marketing - that makes sense to me.
I think the GT4 is done for NA. They are not making an RS version and I think they just pumped out 3000 of so of these to deplete their spare parts and to gap time until they were ready to start the 911 line which is now starting to produce the TC engines.
I tend to believe there will not be a NA 981.2 (718?) GT4. Keeping the old 3.8 9A1 around for one (or two, if the Spyder continues as NA) low-production model seems silly. Especially since there is potential for a flat-T4 to be lighter and more powerful.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:22 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
This was before the giant diesel mess. Once VW announced the number went from 500,000 US cars to millions worldwide, all bets and quotes by Porsche reps are off. Clean will be the name of the game for VW to save face.

This, 100%
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I tend to agree. It's entirely possible that Dieselgate threw a huge wrench into the gears, despite what AP said (and I'm sure he believed what he said at Monterey when he said it.) I guess we'll know in due time.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:34 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Old 12-13-2015 | 01:35 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
How does it make sense to turbocharge the GT cars now when they've already done all the R&D on the 991.2 GT3/RS cars and engines? It would cost Porsche more money to suddenly switch gears and spend extra time and money to turbocharge the GT3.
Pennies in the big picture of what they are facing.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Pennies in the big picture of what they are facing.
Yeah, and it's not just a matter of where Motorsport is in terms of development on the 991.2 GT3, assuming it's even complete. There are all of the costs associated with suppliers, tooling, and production of limited edition parts and engines as well as the philosophical shift within VW that the diesel scandal may have caused.

I'm not suggesting that the next GT3 for sure won't be NA, just that the odds of a change have increased due to recent events.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:45 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I tend to believe there will not be a NA 981.2 (718?) GT4. Keeping the old 3.8 9A1 around for one (or two, if the Spyder continues as NA) low-production model seems silly. Especially since there is potential for a flat-T4 to be lighter and more powerful.
Yes dieselgate is important, but with GT4 Porsche just created an entire new line of cars that was welcomed with open arms by drivers, particularly younger car enthusiasts around the world, and just won car of the year honors.
I don't think there going to turn their backs on these car buyers the very next year by changing the recipe.

there are going to be swift actions taken to cut costs ect. From a financial standpoint it makes perfect sense to expedite turbo charging the entire line.
How does it make sense to turbocharge the GT cars now when they've already done all the R&D on the 991.2 GT3/RS cars and engines? It would cost Porsche more money to suddenly switch gears and spend extra time and money to turbocharge the GT3.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, What % of Porsche vehicles in a 5 year period are true GT cars? maybe 2%? I think the image of VW and the emissions rating of the Porsche lineup will be safe if only 2% of Porsches are NA.
Old 12-13-2015 | 02:06 PM
Glen
Race Car

Spoke with my cleaning lady, she's heard nothing so far...
Old 12-13-2015 | 02:13 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Drifting
On another note, What % of Porsche vehicles in a 5 year period are true GT cars? maybe 2%? I think the image of VW and the emissions rating of the Porsche lineup will be safe if only 2% of Porsches are NA.
Very interesting discussion.

The GT cars are glaringly visible in the public eye. So even if they make up a mere 2% of numbers, as halo cars, they might be equivalent to somewhere in the range of even 50% of the image of the entire fleet imo. PAG sets the tone for the next 10 years with them, and by switching to FI would show how much they are good citizens and sincere about cleaning up their past environmental sins. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see another NA engine from Porsche after dieselgate.

Quick Reply: Just had a chat with the Cleaning Lady