Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver crash RS????

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

991 is nothing like the older 911s. I did though get a real wakeup after treating my sidewalls for looks and then got into an on throttle turn to aggressively. Not sure if got to the nanny's but lifted and hard counter steer to correct.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:47 PM
jbryan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that white car is HURT! Looks like it was driven off a ski jump and landed VERY hard!
Old 12-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleblack
Interesting comments and assumptions in the thread. FWIW Randy has driven my car (me as passenger) a few times and although fast, was good with the car.
I had nothing to gain and lots to lose so I didn't let him drive it.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:21 PM
rikhek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Randy is known to tear up cars.

At a track event over the summer, he was interested in driving my car and I was HEAVILY advised by multiple people who've driven with him not to let him.
I've pitted out of the same truck/tent and raced with Randy. As a matter of fact I'll be racing out of the same truck as Randy again this year at Sebring. I would not hesitate to let him drive my car. His skills are exceptional and he does not drive at 10/10s when in someone else's car. The benefits gained from his setup knowledge pay off in spades. He's also a hell of a coach. Mad skills....
Old 12-08-2015, 05:19 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
I don't get this.

GT3s of all generations tended to crash rear-end-first into almost anything, even if one tried to hit that something head-on. Look at the wrecked-car websites and you'll invariably find more damaged rear than front ends.

Now all of a sudden we're seeing more front end impacts than all previous years combined... Are these geniuses using the cars differently or do the cars handle so differently now??
Simple: overconfidence.

New 991 GT3 RS is on full-time "God mode." The car coaxes you to feel invincible.

If you trust the feeling this car gives you (everyone's human), you'll end up inevitably putting this into a wall.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Trust me, the front goes where you point it and there is no lift off anything.
IVe done 100 actions that would be game over in 997 and THATS the problem. You may start thinking you're a good drover...
There is marginally less communication at FAR higher limits in new RS. Far higher limits means far less margin for error.

On track - where I would be losing traction or all out drifting in the 997.2's, new car just handles it perfectly without any drama.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
I've pitted out of the same truck/tent and raced with Randy. As a matter of fact I'll be racing out of the same truck as Randy again this year at Sebring. I would not hesitate to let him drive my car. His skills are exceptional and he does not drive at 10/10s when in someone else's car. The benefits gained from his setup knowledge pay off in spades. He's also a hell of a coach. Mad skills....
I don't doubt his skills at all; but 2 close friends independently and swiftly implored me not to let him drive my car.

That said, I've let plenty of people drive my car - other pro drivers included - although I knew them all beforehand.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You all are crazy, I'll take that wrecked barney in a millisecond, its not that bad? A phrase comes to mind...holy exaggeration?
Old 12-09-2015, 01:11 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Rear or front impact depends on how much you spin and which part reaches the Armco first.
If you try really hard, you can have both
Old 12-09-2015, 02:19 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

I think the white RS did get both .................
Old 12-09-2015, 02:45 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
If you try really hard, you can have both
Been there done that!

If you can't afford to bend it, don't track it. Eventually tracking your cars will lead to a spin- it's just a matter of time as you probe the limits. Everyone I know who tracks their car hard has done it. Lucky if you don't hit something- and that's all it is- luck- luck there isn't someone who hits you when you spin or luck the spin doesn't end hitting something hard.

This is why I race now instead of track my Porsche. It's safer, and when I do have contact the fiberglass is cheap compared to Porsche metal and Porsche parts.

Of course some of you can afford to write off your 200K Porsche or are prepared to pay for whatever happens racing a Cup car. Just different budgets- mine is not that high. Lastly, I always consider it bad form to post pictures on the net of someone's misfortune. Clubs here have a very good rule: If you post the picture of someone's track accident you are banned for life from all the clubs or organizations providing track days. Works really well.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:56 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
You all are crazy, I'll take that wrecked barney in a millisecond, its not that bad? A phrase comes to mind...holy exaggeration?
You know someone will grab that car and repair quickfast!!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:24 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Clubs here have a very good rule: If you post the picture of someone's track accident you are banned for life from all the clubs or organizations providing track days.

Good policy!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:59 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Least it ain't as bad as that bugger who picked up his LaF and immediately crashed it!
Old 12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did either magazine finish their test? Will we soon be seeing the GT3RS vs. Z06 vs. Viper ACR?
Old 12-09-2015, 05:42 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

correct magazine (MT) but not Randy. all I can say....

Quick Reply: Car and Driver crash RS????