ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,749 Likes on 5,129 Posts

Old 09-21-2016, 11:37 PM
atc5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Randy leavin' some on the table in the run....
Old 09-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely didn't do his best on that run. I think considering the field it was going up against he didn't have to bring his A game or it would be even more embarrassing lap time wise. To be fair none of the other cars are in the same league as the Viper track performance-wise and the Viper is not in the same league as them in terms of daily drivable comfort so don't expect it to win overall.

Funny how different he remarked about the Viper in this video vs the previous vids where he fell over the ACR with praise. I think it had to do with driving all those different cars back to back in one or two days. First time I have seen him mention he had to "work" with this current ACR if memory serves. In the previous video he stated it was docile and approachable with no bad habits etc.

I think after lapping the softer more GT oriented cars back to back like the McLaren 570 and Audi R8 one can't help but feel the difference with the analog Viper in that you actually have to drive the car. That used to be the definition of a drivers car.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:13 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

its either Shelby or Carrera for the win
Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/this-one-dealer-...-do-1787397650

this dealer just cornered the market.. smart move. Purchased all 140 remaining vipers to be built and specced them in unique ways.. his reason?

"When it was finally confirmed that the Viper was going to cease production, I felt an obligation as a fan, owner, and Dodge dealer to help others experience the rare privilege of experiencing this amazing machine."

what an altruist, a philanthropist even.. (fookin' genius if you ask me)
Old 10-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

Just spent 2 days at COTA with mine - a truly brilliant car. Buy one.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:12 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Ive come across several acr extremes at track days and all have been trailered and driven to the max ie. 2 min flat at Watkins glen! use up tires and brakes every weekend. never used on street

that just doesn't make sense to me. its as fast as most race cars but doesn't have the safety systems in place. and still using a trailer. at that point I would rather have a race car.

to me acr is to drive to and from the track and go 8 or 9/10ths with some safety margin.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

I drive mine to and from the track. It has 6 point harnesses and 100% stock otherwise, which includes the use of very sticky and excellent Kuhmo tires. Yes, I think it wise to use a HANS and harnesses.

It does NOT use up brakes and tires in one day (well, probably 2 days on front tires depending on driver, track, course condition, temps, etc.). If you mean to say, brake pads, well then I now have four track days with about 20 sessions on the car. I have gone through one and a half front left tires. Two new fronts are needed ASAP. The front tires do where out quickly and it is WORTH IT! The front pads are far from needing replacement. They will last quite a while and when I do need them, $740 to my door. No big deal. As far as rotors, they last a very long time too. I suspect I have many many 1,000s of track miles from needing a new pair.

The car is docile in many respects and relatively easy to drive quickly - a very rewarding car to say the least. It does drink gas. Driven hard, it was gulping about 1 gallon per 3.4 mile lap. 8.4 liters is hard to satiate. Lap times in a factory car from Dodge - RIDICULOUS.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:16 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

that's good to hear re consumables but when I said race car safety equipment I really meant a full cage
Old 10-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

agreed - I full cage would be nice
Old 10-04-2016, 07:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
Ive come across several acr extremes at track days and all have been trailered and driven to the max ie. 2 min flat at Watkins glen! use up tires and brakes every weekend. never used on street

that just doesn't make sense to me. its as fast as most race cars but doesn't have the safety systems in place. and still using a trailer. at that point I would rather have a race car.

to me acr is to drive to and from the track and go 8 or 9/10ths with some safety margin.
The tires are street tires that wear fast, comes with the territory when the car is capable of the times it is. People have eaten up tires in GT3's, Z06's and pretty much anything capable of astonishing times, and this car puts several seconds even on those most times.

Without knowing how far someone had to drive to the track, you can't really judge why they are in fact trailering. If you want a tent, chairs, cooler, spares, a few tools, family etc, you need to trailer. Not to mention not wanting a ton of miles on your car to and from the track. It doesn't mean they can't drive to the track, it just means they don't want to, its unpractical, or that they have the means not to have to. Not only that, driving an ACR extreme on the street with your extreme aero to the track is asking for it to be broken.

Not only that, if something breaks on track, you cord a tire unexpectedly or you have a mishap, you aren't stuck trying to rent a tow truck to get it home for several hundred dollars while you try to figure out how to get home yourself.

There is more to trailering than just the car being incapable of driving to the track.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:26 PM
SinVodka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper ACR at COTA

First I want to say that the thread here on RL has better info that any other site. Second I love this car. I had it out for its first track day at COTA last weekend and this car made my previous rides look slow.

Keep in mind I had less than an hour of actual "track seat time" in the Viper and I was averaging 2:24's at COTA with my best lap dipping down to the 2:23.58. Thats while Im still on the learning curve with the car. I have driven COTA in some quick cars and this car was the easiest to drive quickly around the track. I have never had anything faster through the twisty parts that stayed rock solid.

What a car. Here is the Video of my best time...

Old 10-07-2016, 03:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

what an amazing track.. need to get out there. looks like you're easily catching up that mclaren in the turns but damn that car has some acceleration!

do you enjoy feeling the downforce in that viper?.. that's gotta feel great in those turns.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:58 PM
SinVodka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a Mclaren 675LT up front. The next lap I passed him in the twisty parts. He could easily take me on the straights but the Viper was easily faster in the curves. The car is amazing. On straights you hit a wall at 140 with all the Aero. I considered taking some out but being new to the car I figured being glued to the track would be better.

On a track with alot of corners you will have a big smile on your face. I have driven the Formula Mazdas and my ACR sticks just as well.

Last edited by SinVodka; 10-07-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
what an amazing track.. need to get out there. looks like you're easily catching up that mclaren in the turns but damn that car has some acceleration!

do you enjoy feeling the downforce in that viper?.. that's gotta feel great in those turns.
Geezuz COTA makes all the tracks in Georgia/Florida look 2nd rate! Impressive video. Think I need to drive to Austin.

Viper owners - which would you say is more entertaining to drive on the track and street - Viper GTS or GT350?

Quick Reply: OT: My full Review of the 2016 Viper ACR