Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 PM
JoeGT3rs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Word today from the factory, the want the transmission replaced versus repairing what looks like a defective seal. Only one ew transmission in the U.S. and should be to my dealer tomorrow, if there is any type of issue will have to ship from the factory.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:17 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Can you buy the extended warranty at that time or do you need to buy it when you originally bought the car?
From what I understand, you can do either.

As it is a third-party that underwrites the contract.

Just typically more expensive post-OEM warranty, unless of course you take into account the time-value of money.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:26 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Do you have any pictures of where it was leaking from?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:01 PM
JoeGT3rs
Track Day

Unfortunately no pics, sorry.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:18 PM
JoeGT3rs
Track Day

Just stopped by the dealer to take a look and there is a very small drain hole in the bottom of the transmission to handle any overflow that might occur. In my case when the engine was running and the seal failed the fluid was shot out of this tiny drain hole under high pressure and fluid landed all over the underside panels of the car and then leaked to the garage floor in a very large puddle.

Bad news is that new transmission that arrived this morning was for a GT3 not an RS. As of this moment do not know where the replacement will be sourced and it looks like it will have to be built to order and shipped from Germany.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the update Joe and best of luck with that. Perhaps you should ask for some form of compensation due to the wait?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:03 AM
JoeGT3rs
Track Day

It has been a long five weeks but RS is back in the garage today. As expected, not a lot of spares for these cars in inventory so Porsche had to build the new transmission and ship from Germany. My dealer did a great job of installing immediately and the car feels great.

Also while they had it a new campaign bulletin just issued to replace plugs and coil packs in a small group of cars so they completed that work as well.

Fingers crossed, but everything feels great!
Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GT3 PDK-S leak

An unfortunate revival for this thread...

A few weeks ago I had my GT3 on the hoist for some post-Targa Tasmania review and inspection. Noticed the transmission pan had leaked oil on it:

When I returned to Sydney I organised a proper inspection, a new flange gasket was ordered and two days ago installed. But on testing, the techs detected further leak from the overflow valve, as described above by Joe for his RS. Solution = new PDK-S transmission. Thankfully there is an unused, unloved GT3 PDK-S sitting in a box in Melbourne, so should all be done within the next few days.

This seems to be a rare problem, if this forum is a guide, though I'm sure there have been more than the two discussed here. My GT3 has done 20000km as my "temporary" DD but including about 1000km on track. It has thrown no codes and was running as well as ever.

I have to say, I've been impressed with a professional, apologetic but informative approach from the service guys at my dealer. And that Porsche doesn't let just anybody dick around with something as critical as the PDK-S, they just replace it when the simple stuff is ruled out. The only negative is the canary yellow loaner Boxster I'm now driving!

We'll see if I'm still so sanguine about it after next week...
The following users liked this post:
TRAKCAR (11-04-2019)
Old 06-07-2016, 04:27 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Subscribed! Tks for sharing your experience!

Last edited by s4corrado996tt; 11-03-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:06 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Good luck with the fix
Old 11-02-2019, 11:02 AM
racer901
4th Gear

Currently similar leak as above from my PDK 2015 GT3 991.1. Oil dripping on the under-tray and coming down from the cross member directly below where the engine and transmission are attached together.

Dealer thought it was a RMS. They removed the transmission and determined it was a flywheel and further inspection from the guys in Atlanta they wanted the PDK front seal replaced as well.

Now all replaced and dealer put a few miles on it to make sure it was going to be ok, Leak came back before delivering it to me. Now getting authorization for a new transmission. Hope they have one in the states.Really wanted it back for a Chin event in November.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:21 PM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3rs
Just stopped by the dealer to take a look and there is a very small drain hole in the bottom of the transmission to handle any overflow that might occur. In my case when the engine was running and the seal failed the fluid was shot out of this tiny drain hole under high pressure and fluid landed all over the underside panels of the car and then leaked to the garage floor in a very large puddle.

Bad news is that new transmission that arrived this morning was for a GT3 not an RS. As of this moment do not know where the replacement will be sourced and it looks like it will have to be built to order and shipped from Germany.
Hope you resolve it ASAP.

Quick Reply: RS Transmission Leak