Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12v socket for battery charger.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:25 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I like to keep the windows closed. Even though it is covered when plugged in we have critters down here i.e.. geckos that like the alcantara.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:04 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
I connect the CTEK charger to the battery using a permanent extension cable fitted to the battery posts. The cable can be run out either through the gap between the hood and windshield or through the gap at the front of the trunk. Using the power sockets can be unreliable as the connector is not always a good fit for the sockets.
When you connect directly to the battery, the positive or red cable gets directly connected to the red battery terminal, but what about the negative cable? Directly to the terminal or to the chassis (as is advised when using jumper cables)?

If directly to the negative terminal, how do you connect the eyelet terminal? The bolt on the negative battery terminal does not come completely off and I don't want to force it. Would you cut the eyelet in half (into a U shape)?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:00 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
By using this method do you kink the cord on the charger or on the soft rubber door molding?
You can run the cord between the top of the front edge of the door and fender. It will not kink there and you do not have potential issues deforming the rubber door seal. I use a CTEK as well and run the cord to the cig. lighter socket. Did this on my .2 3 for years and my current 991 3 without issue.This way the windows can remain closed.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by devenh
When you connect directly to the battery, the positive or red cable gets directly connected to the red battery terminal, but what about the negative cable? Directly to the terminal or to the chassis (as is advised when using jumper cables)?
Normally, you'd go to a chassis ground. However, CTEK says that it's safe to connect their charger directly to the negative terminal of the battery using their extension cable because a) their chargers don't spark eliminating the threat of igniting outgasses from the battery and b) the connection to the quick connect plug is made away from the battery anyway.

Originally Posted by devenh
If directly to the negative terminal, how do you connect the eyelet terminal? The bolt on the negative battery terminal does not come completely off and I don't want to force it. Would you cut the eyelet in half (into a U shape)?
Exactly what I did. Clip off just enough so it will clear the bolt.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:17 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, thanks! Always helpful to get a second opinion.

Quick Reply: 12v socket for battery charger.