Sponsored by:

** The "market adjustment" issue **

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 10:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Well, as in any large company disorganization is an issue. One I work for is pretty damn efficient for a 53 million dollar company but has it moments of complete disorganization. Can you imagine a company as large as Porsche/VW group?
The Porsche division isn't that huge. Figure it out.

2014 Sales

Toyota 10 million cars
Honda 4.3 million cars
BMW 2 million cars
Mercedes 1.7 million cars
Porsche 189,000 cars
McLaren 1,600 cars
Old 09-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
The Porsche division isn't that huge. Figure it out.

2014 Sales

Toyota 10 million cars
Honda 4.3 million cars
BMW 2 million cars
Mercedes 1.7 million cars
Porsche 189,000 cars
McLaren 1,600 cars
Well, I guess that makes them seem a little disorganized doesn't it! Crikey. Think about that awesome efficiency of the Japanese....
Old 09-27-2015, 11:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Toyota makes twice as many cars in a day as Porsche makes in an entire month ... Mind boggling.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:11 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Makes sense to me. How easy for them to be able to forecast demand and schedule production. They give you an approximate build date, and know what they're in for. The way they're doing things now, they're going quarter by quarter. Look at the GT3's. I don't think they know how when they'll actually stop making them. They keep trickling out like a leaky toilet. Just slow enough to **** people off. Same with the RS's. The big mystery of how many, when, where, and what color. I really think there is some disorganization within the ranks. I mean, they can't even get a PTS and Exclusive program under control. Quantity and quality control wise. Add the engine debacle, and you have one cluster _ _ _ _

They're better at selling the Porsche Badge lately on non sports cars than the actual sports cars!
We are on the same page my friend...
Old 09-27-2015, 11:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Have you ever seen a 100K or even 20K UNDER MSRP? Or any discount on a GT car??

I think everyone would agree from a marketing standpoint it just looks terrible for the dealers and Porsche as well.
I'm actually referring to all cars that Porsche sells, because there isn't a Porsche dealership that sells only GT cars that I know of.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:43 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Yep ^^^.
In an efficient market with full information and transparency, sure but not when dealer play shell games of keep away with their allocations and trying to rig the market.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:51 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

What if you opened up a 60 day "buy" window on GT cars at dealerships across the country, PTS the whole deal. Everyone on the list gets a car. Porsche goes into production to build all of the cars. However long it takes to manufacturer. You can't get in again until the next year. It's the old vehicle production conundrum. Porsche built X amount of 918's GT3's RS's etc. and had to find a home for them. When you build to order you might sell fewer cars but you have so much less inventory exposure. Less sourcing issues etc. and you become more profitable. They always want to manufacture growth as opposed to organic growth. I know nothing about car building but my company does it for a 130 page catalog (soft goods) and 1000 sku's. and is accurate to within 1%. There certainly not that many sku's in the Porsche line up. Crazy?
Please send your resume for the head of Porsche production position to Porsche STAT!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:05 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
My issue isn't that dealers sell their cars for over MSRP as it is them taking allocations for themselves and optioning the car when they have dozens of people on the wait list, including people who have bought 10s of cars from that dealer. Either sell all of the cars to the highest bidders or sell to the folks on your waitlist, don't keep changing the rules of the game. Hell, there are even dealers that have agreed to sell a car at MSRP to a customer on their waitlist and when the car comes in the car is no longer for sale at MSRP...it's no MSRP + X market premium. Don't say that you want to establish a relationship with a customer when the dollar signs mean more than the relationship.
I cannot +1 this any harder.

Originally Posted by Zero911
I don't fault the dealers for asking over MSRP. I am sure if we were selling our cars and some idiot wanted to pay $50k above asking we would jump on it.

What I do fault dealers for is if I am on a wait list and was told MSRP only to have that change when the car comes in. That's a waste of my time and a very ****ty thing to do.
Yup. This.

Happened to me many times in the past across many different makes. Thankfully, I now have dealers I trust, and have built a long term relationship with.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:29 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Please send your resume for the head of Porsche production position to Porsche STAT!
You're too kind USC.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:04 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What if you opened up a 60 day "buy" window on GT cars at dealerships across the country, PTS the whole deal. Everyone on the list gets a car. Porsche goes into production to build all of the cars. However long it takes to manufacturer. You can't get in again until the next year. It's the old vehicle production conundrum. Porsche built X amount of 918's GT3's RS's etc. and had to find a home for them. When you build to order you might sell fewer cars but you have so much less inventory exposure. Less sourcing issues etc. and you become more profitable. They always want to manufacture growth as opposed to organic growth. I know nothing about car building but my company does it for a 130 page catalog (soft goods) and 1000 sku's. and is accurate to within 1%. There certainly not that many sku's in the Porsche line up. Crazy?
Id agree with this 110%!!!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 02:10 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

the entire problem will be solved when PAG builds more cars, increase supply and starve the flippers out, they should also punish dealers who lessen the marque with low class tactics,I last saw this with the original miata and the honda CRX, no thats its the same thing, but I never looked at those cars again
Old 09-28-2015, 08:45 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm actually referring to all cars that Porsche sells, because there isn't a Porsche dealership that sells only GT cars that I know of.
While our interest lies with Porsche, this is not a Porsche isolated issue in US. Try to go buy a GT350R....many on blogs have mentioned a couple dealers asking double MSRP or higher. I remember way back when S2000 came out and I wanted one for a weekend track car, first dealer I went to wanted 10k over for first one? Same situation I just visited a couple stores and found one coming in for a discount. NSX was same before it hit showrooms back in early 90's. It obviously is an emotional topic but I have very strong doubt it will change.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:49 AM
STG
Race Director

Maybe they're more worried about the wrong "target market" ...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a Porsche salesperson or PCNA employee refer to the Macan as a sports car. It's nice for what it is, but it's not a sports car.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 AM
STG
Race Director

Oh, the "good ole days" ...

Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

man, that 964 looks so iconic
so simple

Quick Reply: ** The "market adjustment" issue **