Sponsored by:

** The "market adjustment" issue **

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
Easy way to fix the problem on the dealer side as well as company side. Have low inventory or no inventory dealerships where the cars on the floor are for Demo only. Each car is then manufactured as the customer orders it and delivered at msrp. No cap on production. Naturally you will sell less gt cars than caymans and cayennes. Let the supply and demand even itself out.

I mean, why have hundreds of options available on the menu but force customers to buy already built dealer/factory optioned cars? Dealers then have to sit on extra inventory until the right customer happens along. Porsche is a boutique custom car company. They should build cars that people want. I'll buy a ford truck by going to the dealership and browsing. I want my Porsche to be like I want it.

Right now the frenzy for gt cars is not being fueled by actual demand. I think that the market is artificially elevating the demand for the car because opportunists and speculators (read dealers and flippers) are soaking up the allocations and people who really want the cars who are enthusiasts are left on waiting lists. It's a crazy way to do business.

On the markup business, how many people who wanted a new iPhone payed AT&T or Verizon stores more than msrp for their phone because the supply couldn't meet demand?
Agreed. Made to order is an interesting strategy. In my business a store is asked to pre-book their order in the spring for fall delivery. They can purchase as little or a much as they want usually based on their previous seasons sales. They of course are given more dating (time to pay) and a 1-4% percentage discount based on volume. The manufacturer then builds a total dollar amount of all of the dealers (700) pre-books and builds another 40% of product above and beyond to sit on the shelf for dealers to buy "at once" during the selling season.Works perfect. No favorites, no back door, no VIP etc. Just not sure the car industry could build that way? On just GT cars maybe. It works great for the manufacturer and dealer as well. The demand is still there on the consumer side as the gear will run out before the end of the season and they will have to wait.

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 09-27-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
On the markup business, how many people who wanted a new iPhone payed AT&T or Verizon stores more than msrp for their phone because the supply couldn't meet demand?
Apple is smart. They want anyone with a high end smart phone to have an iPhone. They make sure to give everyone wanting one an opportunity to own one. They won't let you spend your money elsewhere.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:27 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Apple is smart. They want anyone with a high end smart phone to have an iPhone. They make sure to give everyone wanting one an opportunity to own one. They won't let you spend your money elsewhere.
Bingo.
Though, consumer electronics is greatly different than the auto business.
Either way, i agree with your point.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Good point. I'm guessing they are more times than not sold at a lower price than the advertised price. When it's nut cutting time they will move on price, they want to sell cars and need to sell cars. I bet there is 5-8K in a 30K over GT3 deal at months end. I really would be curious on a 125K over RS deal. Wonder if anybody on Rennlist would be willing to tell us how their RS deal went?
A lot of this "hype and frenzy" is actually over emphasized by these dealers who hoard allocations, have unreal markups, and make people buy into the overinflated market. Trust me, it will only last so long. You're starting to see it already in the 997 GT market.

If you threw 300 RS and 500 GT3 allocations into the US tomorrow, things would get pretty quiet on here, trust me. I am still convinced this is all by design on Porsche's part to give dealers a line of cars (GT's) to reward them with allocations and create a marketing buzz. This gives Porsche a lot of leverage with its dealers and free marketing. Why have all the frenzy be about Ferrari and the other "hard to get" models. They failed with the 918 and had to create a VIP program to makes sure they sold out.

Say what you want about the 918, but get rid of the Energizer Bunny, add a bigger engine, and sell it for half the price and you'd be golden. Who wants a 1 million dollar car to sound like a Prius around town? Just sayin!
Old 09-27-2015, 08:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by PhilT3
Bingo. Though, consumer electronics is greatly different than the auto business. Either way, i agree with your point.
They don't want to leave a contract subsidized $200 iPhone on the table, but Porsche is more than willing to leave 200K on the table.

Agreed, consumer electronics are different, but at the end of the day it's about sales, profits, year over year sales, and market share. Same sh_t!
Old 09-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

A lot of this "hype and frenzy" is actually over emphasized by these dealers who hoard allocations, have unreal markups, and make people buy into the overinflated market. Trust me, it will only last so long. You're starting to see it already in the 997 GT market.

If you threw 300 RS and 500 GT3 allocations into the US tomorrow, things would get pretty quiet on here, trust me. I am still convinced this is all by design on Porsche's part to give dealers a line of cars (GT's) to reward them with allocations and create a marketing buzz. This gives Porsche a lot of leverage with its dealers and free marketing. Why have all the frenzy be about Ferrari and the other "hard to get" models. They failed with the 918 and had to create a VIP program to makes sure they sold out.
What if you opened up a 60 day "buy" window on GT cars at dealerships across the country, PTS the whole deal. Everyone on the list gets a car. Porsche goes into production to build all of the cars. However long it takes to manufacturer. You can't get in again until the next year. It's the old vehicle production conundrum. Porsche built X amount of 918's GT3's RS's etc. and had to find a home for them. When you build to order you might sell fewer cars but you have so much less inventory exposure. Less sourcing issues etc. and you become more profitable. They always want to manufacture growth as opposed to organic growth. I know nothing about car building but my company does it for a 130 page catalog (soft goods) and 1000 sku's. and is accurate to within 1%. There certainly not that many sku's in the Porsche line up. Crazy?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:56 PM
STG
Race Director

What if you opened up a 60 day "buy" window on GT cars at dealerships across the country, PTS the whole deal. Everyone on the list gets a car. Porsche goes into production to build all of the cars. However long it takes to manufacturer. You can't get in again until the next year. It's the old vehicle production conundrum. Porsche built X amount of 918's GT3's RS's etc. and had to find a home for them. When you build to order you might sell fewer cars but you have so much less inventory exposure. Less sourcing issues etc. and you become more profitable. They always want to manufacture growth as opposed to organic growth. I know nothing about car building but my company does it for a 130 page catalog (soft goods) and 1000 sku's. and is accurate to within 1%. There certainly not that many sku's in the Porsche line up. Crazy?
Makes sense to me. How easy for them to be able to forecast demand and schedule production. They give you an approximate build date, and know what they're in for. The way they're doing things now, they're going quarter by quarter. Look at the GT3's. I don't think they know how when they'll actually stop making them. They keep trickling out like a leaky toilet. Just slow enough to **** people off. Same with the RS's. The big mystery of how many, when, where, and what color. I really think there is some disorganization within the ranks. I mean, they can't even get a PTS and Exclusive program under control. Quantity and quality control wise. Add the engine debacle, and you have one cluster _ _ _ _

They're better at selling the Porsche Badge lately on non sports cars than the actual sports cars!
Old 09-27-2015, 09:03 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Except when the flippers are other dealers. Sorry when dealers are trading for allocations, re titling cars, adding big mark up, etc. on a new car, that's a problem porsche should be fixing
This is the most annoying of all that's going on right now. Porsche should forbid dealers selling low volume GT cars at a mark-up to each other and then the buying dealer marks it up further.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Agreed. Made to order is an interesting strategy. In my business a store is asked to pre-book their order in the spring for fall delivery. They can purchase as little or a much as they want usually based on their previous seasons sales. They of course are given more dating (time to pay) and a 1-4% percentage discount based on volume. The manufacturer then builds a total
dollar amount of all of the dealers (700) pre-books and builds another 40% of product above and beyond to sit on the shelf for dealers to buy "at once" during the selling season.Works perfect. No favorites, no back door, no VIP etc. Just not sure the car industry could build that way? On just GT cars maybe. It works great for the manufacturer and dealer as well. The demand is still there on the consumer side as the gear will run out before the end of the season and they will have to wait.
And have the buyers put down a deposit to order the car and then an additional % of the option value as an additional deposit as a sign of good faith like they do when you buy a new home from a home builder.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Say what you want about the 918, but get rid of the Energizer Bunny, add a bigger engine, and sell it for half the price and you'd be golden. Who wants a 1 million dollar car to sound like a Prius around town? Just sayin!
My guess is that dealers are hoarding 100-150 RS allocations to themselves and trying to extract max pain from buyers.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
My guess is that dealers are hoarding 100-150 RS allocations to themselves and trying to extract max pain from buyers.
And why not if Porsche allows them to? If they allow then great, charge as much as you want. It sucks, I hate it but there is NO ONE to blame but Porsche. Ferrari has it figured out, why can't Porsche? They are losing customers to other brands. I think that is why McLaren has gotten more popular. You don't think those buyers were any pissed off P car buyers.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt
And why not if Porsche allows them to? If they allow then great, charge as much as you want. It sucks, I hate it but there is NO ONE to blame but Porsche. Ferrari has it figured out, why can't Porsche? They are losing customers to other brands. I think that is why McLaren has gotten more popular. You don't think those buyers were any pissed off P car buyers.
I've heard from a few people that McLaren dealers are easy to work with for the most part and you get to pick your car how you want it (as long as you pay).
Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
There is no one to blame; the market sets the price, and no individual participants have the ability to move prices to any appreciable extent.
Yep ^^^.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Makes sense to me. How easy for them to be able to forecast demand and schedule production. They give you an approximate build date, and know what they're in for. The way they're doing things now, they're going quarter by quarter. Look at the GT3's. I don't think they know how when they'll actually stop making them. They keep trickling out like a leaky toilet. Just slow enough to **** people off. Same with the RS's. The big mystery of how many, when, where, and what color. I really think there is some disorganization within the ranks. I mean, they can't even get a PTS and Exclusive program under control. Quantity and quality control wise. Add the engine debacle, and you have one cluster _ _ _ _

They're better at selling the Porsche Badge lately on non sports cars than the actual sports cars!
Well, as in any large company disorganization is an issue. One I work for is pretty damn efficient for a 53 million dollar company but has it moments of complete disorganization. Can you imagine a company as large as Porsche/VW group?
Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
And have the buyers put down a deposit to order the car and then an additional % of the option value as an additional deposit as a sign of good faith like they do when you buy a new home from a home builder.
I like that.

Quick Reply: ** The "market adjustment" issue **