Sponsored by:

Don't slaughter me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't slaughter me...

I posted this in the East Coast regional section, but didn't get bites. So, here goes nothing...and please, I'm just looking for feedback on the roads

https://rennlist.com/forums/east-us-...ut-a-lift.html

"I'm relocating to MD (south of Baltimore area) in a couple months and was wondering what the curbs/driveways/entry ways were like out there. I still have some time to finalize my RS spec and don't have the lift optioned. I spent time in CA where every entry way seemed to have been designed with the great flood in mind making life for low cars a complete PITA. I also lived in Vegas where it was a mixed bag so life wasn't too bad for lower cars. How are things out in MD? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks all "
Old 09-06-2015, 04:59 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If unsure, just get the lift. If you're actually driving the car on the streets, I think it makes total sense.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by shaytun
If unsure, just get the lift. If you're actually driving the car on the streets, I think it makes total sense.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

You'll get many people telling you to get the lift. I live I northern VA, daily drive my car, have taken it to NYC, and a recent 1000 mile trip. I have no regrets passing on the lift and with the RS you gain a little more clearance anyway.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by Jon70
You'll get many people telling you to get the lift. I live I northern VA, daily drive my car, have taken it to NYC, and a recent 1000 mile trip. I have no regrets passing on the lift and with the RS you gain a little more clearance anyway.
Awesome, thanks for the firsthand experience. It's great to hear that the mid-Atlantic doesn't suffer from steep entry ways and those stupid rounded curved driveways. I was staying away from the lift from my TX experience, but wanted to hear some experiences from folks out in the MD and NoVA areas. It's been 12+ years since I lived out that way and never thought about the roads while driving Audis.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Option the lift...maybe the RS is a touch higher at the lip than the GT3 ? Lift on these cars is a no brainier. Without it, your screwed if you need to be flat bedded..or have a driveway curb that angled even modestly.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Depends on the house. But it's not flat here like FL. Not all neighborhoods have curbs or even sidewalks, depends on the age of the development.

I have a lift and use it every time to get the car enter/exit my driveway from the street. Plus use it around town, speed bumps, parking garages, etc.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by Todd B
Depends on the house. But it's not flat here like FL. Not all neighborhoods have curbs or even sidewalks, depends on the age of the development.

I have a lift and use it every time to get the car enter/exit my driveway from the street. Plus use it around town, speed bumps, parking garages, etc.
Good point that I didn't think about since all the places I've lived since my stint in VA back in the day have been with newer developed areas (housing boom eras). I was thinking about the Columbia or Laurel areas since they're relatively close to major arteries. A realtor I'm working with thinks I'm crazy when I tell her that I need a smooth driveway in a community that has cared after roads! Well, I guess it's not overly bad to spec the lift for that peace of mind. And here I was enjoying life in non-snow affected roads only to have to go back to springtime potholes!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I'm in MD. Over 11K miles on the car and no regrets about not getting the lift.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Tre
Racer

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm in MD. Over 11K miles on the car and no regrets about not getting the lift.
This is the kind of experiences I like hearing. Plus the GT3 is a bit lower so my thought process is that the deeper RS lip will basically make it a wash (in my mind of course). I just hate ordering features that I don't touch, feel, or use on a regular basis. At least I have about a month to keep tossing this new option around before my order locks. I definitely dislike having such a late allocation and would've preferred locking this thing down dozens of changes ago.

Thanks again to the MD and NoVA folks for chiming in. Hopefully I'll meet you all when I get my car in late Jan.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that I have any experience driving in MD, but the ones who have the lift and say they use it daily, that's fine, and if I had the lift I would use it every time also. The question is, how many times did you use the lift and did not need it? I don't have the lift and have not scraped once. Just my .02
Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Good luck on your choice. You will see it's about a even split on the board.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're house hunting etc, absolutely get a lift - I would hate to not be able to buy an ideal house because I wanted to save $3,500 on an option for a toy.

I ended up adding it on my RS as we'll probably move in 2-3 years and I'd have to not have it for that reason alone. Other alternative would be $500/month for professional storage but obviously the lift is cheaper...
Old 09-06-2015, 09:25 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just completed 3500 mile 12 day driving tour thru Co and Utah national parks. Get the lift!
Old 09-07-2015, 08:50 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Not that I have any experience driving in MD, but the ones who have the lift and say they use it daily, that's fine, and if I had the lift I would use it every time also. The question is, how many times did you use the lift and did not need it? I don't have the lift and have not scraped once. Just my .02
I've actually scraped WITH the lift, using angle techniques etc.

Quick Reply: Don't slaughter me...