Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustration with porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Jasonanv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, Porsche could have squelched demand by pricing the 991GT cars 20% higher. But these are not supposed to be halo cars or collectors items - that is the role of the 918, and the inevitable GT2 and 960 variants to come. The whole point of the GT3 and GT3RS is to take a pounding on the track, which is getting harder to justify with current supply and pricing trends.[/QUOTE]

+1
Old 09-04-2015, 04:14 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Are you sure? I'd say the average "normal" 911 is about $120. A GT3 is not a $240 car.
regular 911 vs GT3 RS
Old 09-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seeing how Porsche is one the most profitable automobile companies in the world with some of the smartest and most talented employees, I stopped second guessing them a long time ago. In other words, they know what the hell they are doing.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zucc
Seeing how Porsche is one the most profitable automobile companies in the world with some of the smartest and most talented employees, I stopped second guessing them a long time ago. In other words, they know what the hell they are doing.
thats why I cant imagine them building cars to lose money
Old 09-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Supposedly they lost money on every 918. Just sayin'.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:15 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zucc
That's the thinking that separates a good company from a great company. Apple is never satisfied. But I agree, they know what they are doing usually and are highly profitable. But I would bet anything behind closed doors that they underestimated demand and price point for the 991 gt cars
Old 09-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

The 991 GT3 got caught in the huge updraft of the stock market. Many new buyers feeling "rich" went to get one ( known as the wealth effect). I guess Porsche was caught flat footed plus the early fires put a damper on production. The stock market is now going the other way with all the China issues and the low employment number last Friday.

Hang on. Your time will come and maybe sooner than later!
Old 09-06-2015, 05:25 AM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys the fact that we're having this discussion means that Porsche's plan is working.

GT cars are halo cars as several have said. PAG limits production for that reason and because profits are lower at the price point that makes them relevant for more people. At $300K MSRP fewer of us would be looking at a GT3 RS. There is way more profit in a TTS Cab, just look at out-the-door depreciation.

Sure they underestimate demand sometimes, just look at what happened with LWB seats. Otherwise, you can be sure they know what they are doing.

Why be irritated, its just business. If we don't like it, if you can't get what you want, there are other cool cars to buy.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it works, I buy more Porsches than I would otherwise because I get toys at MSRP that don't really depreciate. If it wasn't for that, I would have probably bought a CRV instead of a Macan S to save money for toys.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And would you buy less if they made 10% more? Would you even know they made 10% more? What about if sticker was 10% more? I know I would. My point was simply that I think the dealers and brokers are getting all the market adjustment profit and Porsche is leaving money on the table. And because the msrp and supply is deflated to market, it's anarchy at the dealers and a crap shoot as to true pricing. A friend mentioned his dealer has set up a lottery auction system. It's silly. Of course they are halo cars, going to be that even if they doubled supply.

Of course we are going to banter about it here, it's a car forum
Old 09-06-2015, 09:28 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

They're making about 25% more vs the 997.2 RS - so they're increasing production and price as it is.

Sure Porsche is leaving money on the table for the some dealers with the RS, but the dealers take most of the pain trying to move a TTS or regular 911. Porsche makes a 70% Margin - dealers offer 6% to 10% discount out of a ~13% dealer margin. I guarantee you Porsche is much better off doing it this way. They allocate the RSs based on 911 volumes and encourage dealers to move more higher profit margin product for Porsche while the dealers take the pain.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:51 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
They're making about 25% more vs the 997.2 RS - so they're increasing production and price as it is.

Sure Porsche is leaving money on the table for the some dealers with the RS, but the dealers take most of the pain trying to move a TTS or regular 911. Porsche makes a 70% Margin - dealers offer 6% to 10% discount out of a ~13% dealer margin. I guarantee you Porsche is much better off doing it this way. They allocate the RSs based on 911 volumes and encourage dealers to move more higher profit margin product for Porsche while the dealers take the pain.
I think allocations should be every dealer gets one, then if you sell that one to a previous customer, you get another and so one, this rewards dealers or having a good relationship with customers, the current system favors large dealers in market with lots of *********
Old 09-06-2015, 11:12 AM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
And would you buy less if they made 10% more? Would you even know they made 10% more? What about if sticker was 10% more? I know I would. My point was simply that I think the dealers and brokers are getting all the market adjustment profit and Porsche is leaving money on the table. And because the msrp and supply is deflated to market, it's anarchy at the dealers and a crap shoot as to true pricing. A friend mentioned his dealer has set up a lottery auction system. It's silly. Of course they are halo cars, going to be that even if they doubled supply.

Of course we are going to banter about it here, it's a car forum
The car would always be a halo car from a technology perspective, but that's not all there is to it. Its also about availability, and again, your points only demonstrate that Porsche did its price elasticity analysis at that time, before the market run-up and wanting slot the car correctly into the market of competitor's MSRP. And now there is a frenzy which only plays to their hand.

Yes, fun to banter, but wow the emotion in this rivals MT v. PDK. It's just business.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:16 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
I think allocations should be every dealer gets one, then if you sell that one to a previous customer, you get another and so one, this rewards dealers or having a good relationship with customers, the current system favors large dealers in market with lots of *********
Sounds good to me
My dealer is fairly confident more are coming.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:03 PM
warpedrotor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealers are dealers

Here's what I have come across my dealer now says no more list or should I say they have a list but it just means they will offer the car to you at a price they determine. Same dealer says other dealers are marking up cars so they will now as well- nice morals there. Same dealer has a list for gt4 but is getting a special allocation car do since this car is not one that can be ordered they have decided to skip the list and offer it at market rate somewhere around 25 k over. All the while the dealer says we are honest trustworthy and looking out for me. Porsche should be ashamed and the way this has played out has me a life long porsche fan owner and driver for the first time looking at other brands. I am sick of being treated like some
Lower class citizen by a marque that was supposed to be a drivers car not a snobbery / status symbol - porsche will have their day of reckoning as will these dealers I only hope I see it

Quick Reply: Frustration with porsche