Sponsored by:

G43 fits in my door pocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
True, unfortunately. The US has more guns per capita, and more gun related deaths per capita, than any other developed nation.....by a factor of 3-10 times or more. Just one example; the US leads the developed world with 10.2 gun deaths per 100,000 people while the UK is at .25 per 100,000. Interestingly, the US has 88.8 guns per 100 people while the UK has 6.2. Coincidence?

It's possible, I suppose, that the US has 40 times more mentally ill people per capita than the UK and that is the sole explanation for the difference in statistics. Possible, but not likely. I don't know what a workable solution would be, and there are obviously trade-offs between personal freedom and public safety, but to deny that too-easy access to guns is a possible factor, as some do, seems illogical.

Can't wait for the feedback on this post.....
There are lies, damned lies and statistics...

Looking at the list on Wikipedia, you could make a VERY strong argument that gun deaths are related to illegal drug production and transport. All the high rates of gun violence go from brazil to columbia up through central america to mexico and the US. Further supported by the very high rate of gun violence in Arizona and New Mexico in the US.

Or you could argue that it's actually related to race (which is likely secondary to the drug trade): http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...as-gun-deaths/

In reality, the biggest difference by far is suicide. This is an actual real statistic, not a theoretical correlation. Approximately 70% of the difference in gun violence between the US and the UK is suicide.

If you are white and not committing suicide with a gun in the US, your chances of dying in a gun homicide are 3/100,000 per year, while it's about 0.25 in the UK. The frequency of gun deaths per capita per GUN is actually higher in the UK.

3/100,000 per year is about the same as france or switzerland and slightly higher than Canada, and over the age of 55 you are 266 times more likely to die of a heart attack!

Bottom line - you really don't need to carry a gun in your porsche, you need to skip the burger and fries.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:04 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Thanks for the explanation as I, as a Brit - where no one has a gun, not even the cops, was going to ask! Can you tell me when you would NEED one though? For personal protection I guess? But would you ever pull the trigger when it's pointed at another person?? Btw I'm NOT trying to start a debate on whether the general public should be allowed to carry a fire arm. I lived in Mississippi for three years so got use to every man and his dog having one!
Read the stories here..... http://thearmedcitizen.com/category/...tizen-stories/
Old 09-01-2015, 07:09 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GMP911
As far as the number of guns in the US - that horse is out of the barn. To make this real rather than an theoretical discussion imagine a horrific once in a lifetime event - you are stopped/cornered in your GT3 - no way to drive away - three men approach your car - open your door by using the handle or breaking the glass faster than your brain can register what is happening - pull you out of your car - At that very moment - the split second before you are hit and knocked out or shot - Do you want to protect yourself? Do you want a "tool" to stop this potentially lethal encounter?
I'm familiar with that argument....it's approximately the same one I used to "convince" my wife to allow my 2 guns in the house. To me, it makes some sense for home defense as it's possible to have some control over the firearms, and the situation. But carrying a loaded gun in my car opens a completely different can of worms and creates any number of problematic scenarios. Those concerns override the theoretical possibility that I might need to someday be in a shootout, with a highly uncertain outcome, over my car. Just my $.02....
Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the number of guns in the US - that horse is out of the barn. To make this real rather than an theoretical discussion imagine a horrific once in a lifetime event - you are stopped/cornered in your GT3 - no way to drive away - three men approach your car - open your door by using the handle or breaking the glass faster than your brain can register what is happening - pull you out of your car - At that very moment - the split second before you are hit and knocked out or shot - Do you want to protect yourself? Do you want a "tool" to stop this potentially lethal encounter?
Yep. Back to my original statement...

I'd rather have it...and NEVER, EVER need it. Versus, NEED it (read above) and not have it!

Though, the other key is AT LEAST some basic hand to hand / self defense skills. With this, you MAY be able to avoid using your firearm. Or, worst case, you'll be better prepared to put yourself in a tactical position to properly use your firearm.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is an argument that will never end. It's just plain out of control in my mind. The purpose of the original ammendment is so skewed in today's culture. I'm not against owning a gun. I am sick of everyone waiving their second ammendment rights as an excuse. As I said, when that was written we were dealing with much different issues than are being tossed around here, and then it took 10 seconds to load your musket and fire one round.....plenty of time to get simply tackled and punched.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
There are lies, damned lies and statistics...

Looking at the list on Wikipedia, you could make a VERY strong argument that gun deaths are related to illegal drug production and transport. All the high rates of gun violence go from brazil to columbia up through central america to mexico and the US. Further supported by the very high rate of gun violence in Arizona and New Mexico in the US.

Or you could argue that it's actually related to race (which is likely secondary to the drug trade): http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...as-gun-deaths/

In reality, the biggest difference by far is suicide. This is an actual real statistic, not a theoretical correlation. Approximately 70% of the difference in gun violence between the US and the UK is suicide.

If you are white and not committing suicide with a gun in the US, your chances of dying in a gun homicide are 3/100,000 per year, while it's about 0.25 in the UK. The frequency of gun deaths per capita per GUN is actually higher in the UK.

3/100,000 per year is about the same as france or switzerland and slightly higher than Canada, and over the age of 55 you are 266 times more likely to die of a heart attack!

Bottom line - you really don't need to carry a gun in your porsche, you need to skip the burger and fries.
Speaking of statistics, if you're going to factor out suicide for the US, then you should also do so for those other countries you mention. At 3.55 per 100K gun homicides for the US, that number is 7x higher than Canada (.51), 16x higher than France and Switzerland (.22 & .23) , and 71x higher than the UK (.05).

As a gun owner, (a) I'm not against guns and (b) I know we won't resolve this issue here or in the OT section where it probably belongs. But it's very hard (impossible actually) for me to believe that there is no correlation between our more lenient gun laws and greater number of firearms, relative to most other advanced countries, and the fact that we kill more people with guns. It seems an inescapable conclusion, regardless of how and why it happens and no matter how often certain organizations and politicians may deny it.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:38 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doubleurx
It is an argument that will never end. It's just plain out of control in my mind. The purpose of the original ammendment is so skewed in today's culture.
Which, I'm assuming you know, is not something on which everyone agrees.

As I said, when that was written we were dealing with much different issues than are being tossed around here, and then it took 10 seconds to load your musket and fire one round.....plenty of time to get simply tackled and punched.
And when the provisions relating to declaring war were written it took months to even get going. Now it takes under five minutes to decimate a huge portion of a country.

And so on and so forth.

It's an old document, but it's the one that governs the country.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
Which, I'm assuming you know, is not something on which everyone agrees.

And when the provisions relating to declaring war were written it took months to even get going. Now it takes under five minutes to decimate a huge portion of a country.

And so on and so forth.

It's an old document, but it's the one that governs the country.
I here you, but war is exactly what was on the mind of those proposing the 2nd as a direct response to success of the malitia...probably not thought of at the time for protecting your brass fitted wagon. It's a working document which is why there are ammendments and a process for ammendments. Alas, this will be a circular argument, but it is always a fun discussion.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:11 PM
GMP911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm familiar with that argument....it's approximately the same one I used to "convince" my wife to allow my 2 guns in the house. To me, it makes some sense for home defense as it's possible to have some control over the firearms, and the situation. But carrying a loaded gun in my car opens a completely different can of worms and creates any number of problematic scenarios. Those concerns override the theoretical possibility that I might need to someday be in a shootout, with a highly uncertain outcome, over my car. Just my $.02....
Mike in CA, I completely agree with you except that you are not in a fight over your car, you are in a lethal situation and potentially saving your life. The GT3 initiates the potential need for protection. To avoid the need for protection maybe we question why we need a GT3.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike in CA, I completely agree with you except that you are not in a fight over your car, you are in a lethal situation and potentially saving your life. The GT3 initiates the potential need for protection. To avoid the need for protection maybe we question why we need a GT3.
I understand the distinction, GMP911. It's risk assessment based on where I drive and the downsides of keeping a gun in the car as well as being realistic not only about the odds of finding myself in that situation but also the chance that having a gun might just as easily make things worse rather than better. Anyway, cheers, and I hope neither of us has to ever prove our points in real life.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sick of everyone waiving their second ammendment rights as an excuse. As I said, when that was written we were dealing with much different issues than are being tossed around here, and then it took 10 seconds to load your musket and fire one round.....plenty of time to get simply tackled and punched.
True, we were getting taxed without representation! On tea, even! The horror! (seriously, if you look back at what the colonists fought and died for, it is somewhat amazing given the **** we deal with today from our government: pathetic, really)

The 2nd Amendment goes far beyond self defense in my opinion and, to me, its meaning is far more powerful and important: give the people the ability to overthrow its government. It truly is one of the provisions that makes America great and special.

More power to the OP on his "GT3 G43". I love my Glocks. Unfortunately in the People's Republic of NJ, there is no chance to carry one in my GT3 or any other vehicle. I'll move some day...
Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
True, we were getting taxed without representation! On tea, even! The horror! (seriously, if you look back at what the colonists fought and died for, it is somewhat amazing given the **** we deal with today from our government: pathetic, really)

The 2nd Amendment goes far beyond self defense in my opinion and, to me, its meaning is far more powerful and important: give the people the ability to overthrow its government. It truly is one of the provisions that makes America great and special.

More power to the OP on his "GT3 G43". I love my Glocks. Unfortunately in the People's Republic of NJ, there is no chance to carry one in my GT3 or any other vehicle. I'll move some day...

I'm "always" on my way to or from the range which allows me to carry where I live. That and my military ID allows me to be ready to protect myself as indicated. I will not become a victim or a statistic. When we outlaw guns in the USA, only the criminals will have them. That is not acceptable.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Just got a G43 to see if it will root my Shield from my holster....nice choice!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by viprklr
Shahano...because we can & should.
Trusty Kimber Ultra Carry .45 with crimson trace is my daily carry.

Kimber Gold Match is my choice and I carry it proudly. I bring a cannon to a gun fight

Quick Reply: G43 fits in my door pocket