Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might drop my GT3 for a GT4...am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Horses for courses... And drivers. For me:
Track: GT3
Back roads: Boxster Spyder
Straddling both: GT4, because manual. Otherwise GT3.

A couple other points:
  • Get rid of the GT4 pops and burbles by turning off with the sports exhaust.
  • GT4 production looks unlike to catch demand this cycle- the 981 line doesn't have the spare capacity, and Porsche dramatically underestimated demand.
  • .1 GT cars tend not to do so well when .2s come out, so now may be a decent time to trade out and give the GT4 a try- you can always come back.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Its difficult to gauge the two cars. Over at the GT4 board its all about how great the car is and how much better it is than everything else (GT3 often included).
Let's get 1 thing straight here, guys: GT3 is CLEARLY the better and faster car than a GT4. No question about it, IMO.

It's just about preference. If you want MT, lower body weight, and a mid-engine chassis at a lower cost, then no it's not crazy to get a GT4 over a GT3. GT3 is the better car, no doubt, but a GT4 (or a Cayman in general) also has fantastic attributes if you prefer to go that route.

My previous post was in response to all those wanna-be's looking their noses down at anything that's not a 911. Which they learned at C&C and on the internet, no doubt. Ummm, to them I say: Porsche CEO Matthias Mueller admitted in an interview that they're intentionally holding 911's performance higher because Cayman's midengine chassis is naturally superior and would be faster than 911s if given same equipment.

Originally Posted by neanicu
There are many reasons why one would choose a car over the other and most of them have been discussed ad nauseum.
Yup.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Call me a wanna-be, but I've driven a lot of cars, and nothing drives like a 911. That model has a following for a reason, and has clearly survived the test of time. Just saying.

No need to get defensive. Other's opinions are just that - drive and enjoy what you like.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
For me it's two sides of the same coin.

The PDK-S was made for the engine, and the engine was made for the PDK-S gearbox.

As an aside, personally I dunno how readily I'd be willing to enjoy our 9k redline with a 7MT.
FWIW, I agree. The GT4 I drove at Barber did everything well and it was fun to work that slick gearbox myself. A fast, precise and rewarding car. But for all that, the drivetrain didn't feel as special as the engine/gearbox combo in the GT3. An unfair comparison given the price points perhaps, and sacrilege to say that the GT3's PDK-S coupled to that 9K rpm motor is more exiting and, yes, more "fun" to drive than the GT4, but there it is.

Originally Posted by Serge944
Call me a wanna-be, but I've driven a lot of cars, and nothing drives like a 911. That model has a following for a reason, and has clearly survived the test of time. Just saying.

No need to get defensive. Other's opinions are just that - drive and enjoy what you like.
I feel the same. I've interrupted my 30 year ownership of 911's twice; once for an E36 M3, and once for a 987 Boxster S. After less than 2 years they were each sold for another 911. I realize that may say more about me than those other cars, but I know what I like.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:00 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
Yup. My break miles are usually done during the test drive.
Nice. Have you thought about contacting Guinness?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a GT4 but never have driven a GT3. That said, I think I can deduce from the forums and those with the GT3 that the GT3 really shines through its motor and gearbox. For the most part, I assume that is what makes it feel more raw. The GT4 can't match GT3 power, revs, and lower gearing. There's a reason AP said its the GT3's little brother. That's fine, because there is a premium paid for the GT3 motor, gearbox, and heritage. A track based GT4 would still likely benefit from lower gearing. To each his own, for whatever they want to own and drive. Depending on someone's desires and perceptions, one model will fit those needs more than the other. I think the GT4 is the better choice for me. I prefer the lower entry cost of the GT4, I really enjoyed my CR, own a 964 cab, and I have a Formula Mazda for most of my track duties.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

lots of good posts here.
many responses are cerebral.
but if you try to rationalize or explain... you lost it.

the simpler way is...
any of you done pot in college?
most of you stopped, i hope...
if i light one up next to you, would you like a puff....

well, 911 is pot...

once u know it's there. there is no quitting.....
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Gt3 motor paired to the PDK-S is what makes the magic. I'm sure the Gt4 is an amazing machine, heck I want one. Until that parts bin includes that beautiful 9000 Rpm motor, mated to a transmission as capable as the Pdk, it will struggle to keep up. That said, I still want one. I actually wish the new B-Spyder was literally a convertible GT4. I'd be on that list immediately!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:17 AM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishing
I have a Formula Mazda for most of my track duties.
Now this is very interesting. Can you tell us more about your Formula Mazda? Is it a rotary engine? and what is the redline? RX-8 redline was 10K.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:53 AM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I have not tried the GT4 yet, but is it smoother than the Honda S2000?
Not quite. The S2K is one of my favorite transmissions.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
the Gt4... will struggle to keep up.
A 918 will leave a GT3 for dead so completely that it won't even know the GT3's trying. Seamless power, lightning quick shifts at 9k, complete domination. But having driven one, on the street I'd take the slower GT3 or 4 nine times out of ten. Nothing puts speed into perspective like "too fast"

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I actually wish the new B-Spyder was literally a convertible GT4. I'd be on that list immediately!
What's wrong with it? You plan to track a drop top?

I agree there's no substitute for a 911... Almost a shame Porsche seems intent on moving the engine to the middle. Dynamically at least.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:28 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by straight-road
Now this is very interesting. Can you tell us more about your Formula Mazda? Is it a rotary engine? and what is the redline? RX-8 redline was 10K.
Some info sent in PM. Didn't want to get OT.

Last edited by fishing; 08-14-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts
Default I might drop my GT3 for a GT4...am I crazy?

I drove gt4 yesterday. Great car. But only reason to choose gt4 over 991gt3 is manual T.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Absolutely. 911 is an automotive icon and no one's arguing that. No other car has that grip for launching out of corners, ability to induce slight oversteer in corners for turning then launching, etc., etc.

But some people think that a Porsche that's not a 911 is not a Porsche and just a POS car that's beneath them. My previous post was for them (not Serge or Mike).
Old 08-14-2015, 04:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
lots of good posts here.
many responses are cerebral.
but if you try to rationalize or explain... you lost it.

the simpler way is...
any of you done pot in college?
most of you stopped, i hope...
if i light one up next to you, would you like a puff....

well, 911 is pot...

once u know it's there. there is no quitting.....
Puff please.

OP, you're bat**** crazy. Sell GT4 to me or keep both.

Quick Reply: I might drop my GT3 for a GT4...am I crazy?