Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Joe, thanks for the feedback. Your the trail runner for sure.

You do need to come East.
There are no tracks in California rough on brakes :-)
But, it's relative of course. As long as they last better than the others for less they are better. I'll do some heavy duty testing when my car finally gets here Decemberish.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:16 AM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey MSX

It may be worth noting that Porsche on the 991 doesn’t sell the ceramic inserts or pistons for the calipers separately like they did on the 997 thru PMNA or PCNA.

On the 991 models, Porsche decided to sell the complete caliper assemblies separately. This might be very well the reason the dealer is asking to replace the entire caliper assembly.

We have heard through the grapevine there might be some specific solutions coming out soon to replace the ceramic inserts on the 991 calipers.

Give us a call if you want. We can surely figure out a solution for you that will work.

Last edited by KA MOTORSPORT; 08-01-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:50 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 310 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Agreed. Run quickly away from the dealer. They will price gouge you anyway. It's possible if you drove on the track that you did something like glaze the pads and then put a bad wear pattern on the rotors. Pretty unlikely it happened at all 4 corners though. I've had that happen on the fronts. That said, usually a new set of aggressive front pads (like Ferodo or PFC) will grind the rotor back in to shape.
I have PCCBs and I'm wondering how the pads might be glazed. I ask because mine don't see to brake as well as my Turbo S with PCCBs. Still in break in status so I've not tracked it yet.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Joe, thanks for the feedback. Your the trail runner for sure.

You do need to come East.
There are no tracks in California rough on brakes :-)
But, it's relative of course. As long as they last better than the others for less they are better. I'll do some heavy duty testing when my car finally gets here Decemberish.

LOL. Thanks, I'm taking the family to disney world next spring?

Ok, fine, Laguna is relatively hard on brakes compared to the other norcal tracks.
Man, back when I tracked an Evo X, Laguna would eat through over 1/2 of my front brake pads in one day. Doesn't sound like it would be able to even handle Sebring without overheat. LOL.

I'm anticipating maybe 12-14 track days out of these Ferodo pads, which is more than any other pad I've run. Looking forward you getting your RS!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

:-) the family is going to Disney, you're coming to Sebring.

Yeah, like the Rustang, 3 sessions from new to metal to metal, shooting black out of the front wheels F1 style

We came a long way with pads even from the Pagids from just 5 years ago!
Old 08-01-2015, 01:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KA MOTORSPORT
Hey MSX

It may be worth noting that Porsche on the 991 doesn’t sell the ceramic inserts or pistons for the calipers separately like they did on the 997 thru PMNA or PCNA.

On the 991 models, Porsche decided to sell the complete caliper assemblies separately. This might be very well the reason the dealer is asking to replace the entire caliper assembly.

We have heard through the grapevine there might be some specific solutions coming out soon to replace the ceramic inserts on the 991 calipers.

Give us a call if you want. We can surely figure out a solution for you that will work.
Ti pistons?
Or complete race calipers?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:36 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

:-) the family is going to Disney, you're coming to Sebring.
LOL!

Yeah, like the Rustang, 3 sessions from new to metal to metal, shooting black out of the front wheels F1 style

We came a long way with pads even from the Pagids from just 5 years ago!
Holy crap!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:17 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
....lots of variables here. One big one that I forget is the brake requirements brought on by the stability management system. So the amount of usage per mile may be considerably more than traditional braking. I have heard some talk about short pad life in the new cars.
And it's mostly the rear brakes that are used to intervene to provide stability control. I've been told that the harder you drive, the faster your rear brakes will wear compared to your fronts (assuming the stability controls are not completely turned off). So brakes worn out when the fronts are relatively fresh are the sign of a car driven the way it was meant!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Default 991 GT3 brake issues

Originally Posted by Need4S
And it's mostly the rear brakes that are used to intervene to provide stability control. I've been told that the harder you drive, the faster your rear brakes will wear compared to your fronts (assuming the stability controls are not completely turned off). So brakes worn out when the fronts are relatively fresh are the sign of a car driven the way it was meant!
Actually, not really. It means that you aren't driving well and you're relying on stability control to save your hide. Remember, smooth is fast.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:31 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Actually, not really. It means that you aren't driving well and you're relying on stability control to save your hide. Remember, smooth is fast.
Now that you mention it, that's exactly right. On the track anyway. On the street you can't always take the right line or do the right thing at the right time due to traffic, road conditions or unexpected occurrences. Now, probably you ought not be driving that fast if those things cause problems. But street conditions are often less than ideal, and the stability system can work quite hard without you really driving dangerously. The intervention can occur without you even knowing it, like when turning a 90 degree street corner and accelerating.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:09 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Default 991 GT3 brake issues

Ti pistons?
Or complete race calipers?
Yes to both. We will be able to offer Ti inserts as well as a complete caliper upgrade
Old 08-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
+1
Old 08-01-2015, 01:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

+2, it's not a McLaren that replaced a LSD with brake pads...
Old 08-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

+2, it's not a McLaren that replaced a LSD with brake pads...
True, but I would not be as sanguine as many on here if at 2500 miles the dealer was asking me to pay for new brake calipers. Like I said above, I have tracked my McLaren with no caliper issues other than discoloration, and the dealer replaced them, no questions asked. If my GT3 promptly eats brake calipers, I will not be a happy camper. I have never had any car eat brake calipers on track, even in a race environment doing the Thunderhill 25 hour. At most, I periodically rebuild brake calipers, which should be a cheap prospect with only seals and boots. Hopefully this is a very rare event, as the rest of the car seems to be incredibly robust on track
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My experience and feedback from Joe and others indicates that rear rotors wear half as quickly as fronts and thus fronts are 2:1 replacement ratio.

This would affect the calculations for above comparisons quite a bit.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 brake issues