Sponsored by:

Heard Sharkwerks in person yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:57 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Just because your Dyno did not go below 3k does not mean your engine will never operate below that. I dive in auto when the engine is cold and into and around town. It often runs at 2k and sometimes a little below.

I applaud you for all the work you did in choosing an exhaust and been a great source to all of us here; however engine construction, intake and exhaust systems have an effect on engine operation. Porsche has put more effort into design and development of the whole engine, and the intake and exhaust systems are a big part of this. Part of Porsches goals were to create an engine that was able to serve race duty while being able to also operate very well on the street by expanding the power curve. Like it or not most after market exhaust manufactures chose to only do the rear bypass and leave the valves for a reason.
+ 1M

the valves open and close ~sometimes partially~ dependent on countless factors with one or more goals being to retain and/or improve torque. dynos will not tell the whole story. the results can sometimes be misleading and can be manipulated. partial throttle applications and undulating terrain can alter the need for varying excavating exhaust gases; hence the need for the varied valve exhaust valve openings. as intake velocity and intake runner length may contribute to torque and hp, so may exhaust gas velocity. bigger is not always better; i could, but wont go there... Sharkwerks, i.e. offers their proprietary bypass with similar i.d. tubing to stock for a reason.

the torque loss is likely there above 3k rpm as well. i would guess as the manual reads. i find it difficult to believe eliminating these valves improves torque.

if one always drive above 5k, or just like the sound with the valves open, great. i won't pretend it's otherwise.

Last edited by 911dev; 08-11-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:35 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sharkwerks for me and I trust in their product.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:35 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize. My intent is not to hurt any feelings. It's my opinion.

For $500 I would be ok with the presentation, quality, and fitment. At $1500 it should be impeccable. When opening a Sharkwerks box, what I perceived as a high quality brand, I would expect a great presentation whether or not it will be seen on the car. Take Cobb Tuning's exhausts. They have good presentation as well as good quality even on low volume parts.

If a high quality method is used to cut thin steel flanges they still look like thin, slightly wavy, steel flanges. Again, if this was going on a Mazdaspeed 3 for $500 I would have a different opinion.

The fitment was just ok. Once again I have high standards for the price and perceived high end branding. Talking to a tech who has installed a few of sharkwerks bypasses he said something along the lines of "the fit is not that great for what it is".

All I'm saying it there is room for improvement without a MSRP price change that would positively affect the brand. You can pay Wolf/Subzero prices for Kenmore and be happy. For me I expect something well done for the cost and especially from a brand image I respected.

Last edited by m3irish; 08-11-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:07 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m3irish
I apologize. My intent is not to hurt and feelings. It's my opinion.

For $500 I would be ok with the presentation, quality, and fitment. At $1500 it should be impeccable. When opening a Sharkwerks box, what I perceived as a high quality brand, I would expect a great presentation whether or not it will be seen on the car. Take Cobb Tuning's exhausts. They have good presentation as well as good quality even on low volume parts.

If a high quality method is used to cut thin steel flanges they still look like thin, slightly wavy, steel flanges. Again, if this was going on a Mazdaspeed 3 for $500 I would have a different opinion.

The fitment was just ok. Once again I have high standards for the price and perceived high end branding. Talking to a tech who has installed a few of sharkwerks bypasses he said something along the lines of "the fit is not that great for what it is".

All I'm saying it there is room for improvement without a MSRP price change that would positively affect the brand. You can pay Wolf/Subzero prices for Kenmore and be happy. For me I expect something well done for the cost and especially from a brand image I respected.
Hey your allowed your opinion and I respect it. I'm certainly not paid by SW to promote products its simply an experience thing for me. You say the tech said "the fit is not that great for what it is"? What is it other than a simple thin walled pipe that eliminates 16lbs of unwanted factory center muffler? What was wrong with your fitment that made it "not that great"? It's very adjustable/movable to get mounted in correct position and in installing multiple units myself I'm not sure how it could fit better? I've seen a GMG install and I see no better fitment for the money they charge? No worries either way as one needs to pick the sound they want and go for whatever brand you want but absolutely nothing wrong with the SW product.

BTW...Cobb tuning is great and nice looking but just 1 of those pieces looks to weigh what entire SW bypass weighs?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
+ 1M

the valves open and close ~sometimes partially~ dependent on countless factors with one or more goals being to retain and/or improve torque. dynos will not tell the whole story. the results can sometimes be misleading and can be manipulated. partial throttle applications and undulating terrain can alter the need for varying excavating exhaust gases; hence the need for the varied valve exhaust valve openings. as intake velocity and intake runner length may contribute to torque and hp, so may exhaust gas velocity. bigger is not always better; i could, but wont go there... Sharkwerks, i.e. offers their proprietary bypass with similar i.d. tubing to stock for a reason.

the torque loss is likely there above 3k rpm as well. i would guess as the manual reads. i find it difficult to believe eliminating these valves improves torque.

if one always drive above 5k, or just like the sound with the valves open, great. i won't pretend it's otherwise.
The valves are for sound. It's that simple.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:57 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Money2536
Uh huh
Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

No, it really isn't. That simple.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

The difference is that I've tested it. You guys keep guessing.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:15 PM
911dev
Drifting

The difference is that I've tested it. You guys keep guessing.
Uh huh
Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sharkwerks stands behind their product. Its not only what you buy, its who you buy it from.
^^this. Alex/James/Dan are awesome! Best customer service I have ever experienced in the automotive industry. Not just once. But so many times now I lost count.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 142 Posts

Valve control for low end torque is a hoax that all manufacturers want you to believe.

Its purpose is for meeting noise requirements. Ferrari was very upfront about this years ago.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

PSE ON Valves Disconnected in Red PSE ON Valves Connected Blue

How many times do I need to post this?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zero911
^^this. Alex/James/Dan are awesome! Best customer service I have ever experienced in the automotive industry. Not just once. But so many times now I lost count.
I agree. I still think the SW bypass is the best overall solution for the masses. The GMG is better for the crazies.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:31 PM
911dev
Drifting

PSE ON Valves Disconnected in Red PSE ON Valves Connected Blue

How many times do I need to post this?

Your dyno results do not take in consideration, partial throttle and varying load. As you repeated ask, how many times do I need to state this.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dev
Your dyno results do not take in consideration, partial throttle and varying load. As you repeated ask, how many times do I need to state this.
This was at partial throttle done within five minutes of each other. No manipulation.

Quick Reply: Heard Sharkwerks in person yesterday