Sponsored by:

Heard Sharkwerks in person yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by m3irish
Thin piping, cheesy stamped flange, and for $1500 they could have cleaned up the appearance. Fitment was not the best although it doesn't leak.

They are making a killing on these.
I apologize. My intent is not to hurt any feelings. It's my opinion.

For $500 I would be ok with the presentation, quality, and fitment. At $1500 it should be impeccable. When opening a Sharkwerks box, what I perceived as a high quality brand, I would expect a great presentation whether or not it will be seen on the car. Take Cobb Tuning's exhausts. They have good presentation as well as good quality even on low volume parts.

If a high quality method is used to cut thin steel flanges they still look like thin, slightly wavy, steel flanges. Again, if this was going on a Mazdaspeed 3 for $500 I would have a different opinion.

The fitment was just ok. Once again I have high standards for the price and perceived high end branding. Talking to a tech who has installed a few of sharkwerks bypasses he said something along the lines of "the fit is not that great for what it is".

All I'm saying it there is room for improvement without a MSRP price change that would positively affect the brand. You can pay Wolf/Subzero prices for Kenmore and be happy. For me I expect something well done for the cost and especially from a brand image I respected.
This is no Bueno!
Not sure if Cobb is a paying sponsor, but you are not even a paying USER.

Originally Posted by Dan@SharkWerks
Rob,
Is this you?
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/robert-irish/33/562/a35

As in:

I thought this whole direction you took against us was a bit fishy and noticed on the Group Buy you were also critical of our pricing.

And now it looks like you worked for Cobb Tuning (as a "Reverse Engineer") then have the idea to compare our quality and value to Cobb's on a public forum? Maybe a little disclosure would be fair here?

We sold one to Cobb about 5 months ago, was this for your car? I had looked and tried to find your purchase from us and did not see an order in our records.

I'm sorry - I can't help but be suspicious of your motives here. If you'd like to call and chat about this offline, please call us here.
Well done. Nice opportunity to explain and defend your product. Not everyone around here knows your reputation precedes you.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

WOWZERS....very disappointing "Rob"
Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Heard Sharkwerks in person yesterday

Hi Jeff,
It is hard to see in the pics, but yes it sounds like your kit was missing the laser cut stainless steel plates we include with the exhaust (and some washers and nuts). These are narrow flat plates with holes in the center, and are used to lock the exhaust against the OEM muffler support bracket.

I think what you've constructed should work just fine as long as it's tight and the pipe doesn't move around.

EDIT - here are a couple pics.

That's pretty much what I fabricated on my own. Thanks for the info
Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Hi Jeff,
It is hard to see in the pics, but yes it sounds like your kit was missing the laser cut stainless steel plates we include with the exhaust (and some washers and nuts). These are narrow flat plates with holes in the center, and are used to lock the exhaust against the OEM muffler support bracket.

I think what you've constructed should work just fine as long as it's tight and the pipe doesn't move around.

EDIT - here are a couple pics.

That's interesting, I didn't have those with mine when I took delivery. We wrapped around the brackets in the back. I haven't had any issues without the for about 6K miles, but I wonder if I will...
Old 08-13-2015, 12:55 AM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my exhaust from strimdog back in Feb and have no affiliation with any tuners. Y'all are welcome to double check with strimdog. I've been trying to sell the exhaust and didn't have any bites for what I was asking so I put it on the car and gave my opinion. Check my post history.

The value is just not there for me. Sorry. If that's a smear campaign to y'all ,well, sorry for giving my opinion. I also think the GT4 is too expensive for what it is. I'm one customer who wishes the exhaust was cheaper or different.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:19 AM
coxswain
Racer

Rob,
Is this you?
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/robert-irish/33/562/a35

I thought this whole direction you took against us was a bit fishy and noticed on the Group Buy you were also critical of our pricing.

And now it looks like you worked for Cobb Tuning (as a "Reverse Engineer") then have the idea to compare our quality and value to Cobb's on a public forum? Maybe a little disclosure would be fair here?
Originally Posted by sccchiii
WOWZERS....very disappointing "Rob"
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
This is no Bueno!

If that's a smear campaign to y'all ,well, sorry for giving my opinion.

Cobb will lose some potential customers here because of M3irish's shilling and "smear campaign", as it seems.

(Nice detective work, Dan@SharkWerks!)
Old 08-13-2015, 02:34 AM
alberthyc
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will Sharkwerks make any exhaust for the RS? i assume so since the rs and gt3 has different engine displacement. If so, you can take my money. If not, please advise and still take my money.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:41 AM
m3irish
Racer

Cobb's not in this market.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:00 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aren't they in the Turbo market? Pretty sure I see them posting in the Turbo forums.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:25 AM
dubaudi
AutoX

Just out of curiosity, what does a "reverse engineer" do? Specifically in the context of the automotive aftermarket, since you work for Cobb.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Like I said, it really isn't that simple.
By the way, none of this really matters in the real world, but this stuff is super interesting to me.

My obseravtion is that the design of the exhaust, side mufflers with multiple exits, headers and cats, and center exit is very complex. That complexity is needed to help the car maintain a desired power/torque curve while keeping the car compliant on the street. It is not necessarily the best overall solution for someone that wants a different sound, wants lighter weight, or would like to make maxium power.

I believe the valves are simply for convience in helping engineers create a wider spectrum of noise for a wider audience while helping the car maintain compliance with dB regulations. If they have a choice, the valves don't exist. The odd thing on the GT3 is that with the button off, you lose power/torque. With the button depressed, you make more but the exhaust and valve operation is the same. So if the valves are still opening at the same RPM and the ECU is compensating, why even have the button? Maybe fuel economy? In the Carrera S, press the button and the valves open.

The question I wonder is what is the ECU doing to compensate for the valves. From my obervations, press the button to compensate for the definciency of the valves. If you don't want the changing in sound or to have the ECU compensate for the valves, why not just disconnect them to make more power? So now we have no ECU compensation for the definiciency of the valves.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
At full throttle, it doesn't matter if you hit the exhaust button or not: operation is the same for maximum power. Hitting the sport button just changed its behavior at low / part throttle for sound, from what I've gathered.
I observed that the button still matters, although not earthshattering, at full throttle with or without the valves connected.

This is with the valves connected and and the PSE button OFF at Wide-Open-Throttle. Notice the torque curve from say 2,700 to 4,000.

Versus valves connected and PSE button ON at WOT. The difference isn't huge, but it's around 15-20ft-lbs of torque in that RPM range. The valves are opening at the same, so the ECU must be adjusting.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

The difference with the Button ON in RED vs. OFF in BLUE with the valves disconnected wasn't as conclusive, but the delta was enough to convince me to push the button even with my valves not connected.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
That's interesting, I didn't have those with mine when I took delivery. We wrapped around the brackets in the back. I haven't had any issues without the for about 6K miles, but I wonder if I will...
Hi Mwar, I responded to your PMs. You had the previous design revision that does use these plates.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 08-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alberthyc
Will Sharkwerks make any exhaust for the RS? i assume so since the rs and gt3 has different engine displacement. If so, you can take my money. If not, please advise and still take my money.
Of course! I'll PM you about it, and we will announce details soon.

Quick Reply: Heard Sharkwerks in person yesterday