Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heard Sharkwerks in person yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:27 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just kidding about the sale. I installed my shark werks bypass this morning. Not really the best made and certainly could have been higher quality for $1500...but sweet baby jesus this thing wails now. Love it.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:31 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exhaust valves matter too in the low end torque dept.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:52 AM
City
Track Day

Hi guys im just curious if anyone has thought about replacing the center muffler in a gt3 (steel) with the center muffler of the gt3 rs (titanium) ? Not really after improved sound more so weight reduction. My 16 gt3 ships soon and this is the first mod id love to do and also get hold of a gt3 rs steering wheel.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:48 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Heard Sharkwerks in person yesterday

Originally Posted by mwar99
It is very addicting. Anywhere between 8,000-9,000 rpm in first gear does it every time and you aren't going over 45 mph. 😀
I can get the pop at 5k and above
Old 08-09-2015, 09:22 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Same here
Old 08-09-2015, 10:31 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by City
Hi guys im just curious if anyone has thought about replacing the center muffler in a gt3 (steel) with the center muffler of the gt3 rs (titanium) ? Not really after improved sound more so weight reduction.
What would be the point, just pick out a center bypass? Titanium super expensive, and a center bypass offers nice reduction in weight (16lbs) vs stock GT3 center muffler.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:03 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Much better at 8000-9000
Old 08-10-2015, 12:21 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Much better at 8000-9000
I like!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Exhaust valves matter too in the low end torque dept.
We need to stop with this. Disconnected valves do not affect low end torque. If anything, you get a small increase.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 635 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by m3irish
Just kidding about the sale. I installed my shark werks bypass this morning. Not really the best made and certainly could have been higher quality for $1500...but sweet baby jesus this thing wails now. Love it.
What bothered you about the quality?
Old 08-11-2015, 01:59 AM
m3irish
Racer

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
What bothered you about the quality?
Thin piping, cheesy stamped flange, and for $1500 they could have cleaned up the appearance. Fitment was not the best although it doesn't leak.

They are making a killing on these.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:41 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
We need to stop with this. Disconnected valves do not affect low end torque. If anything, you get a small increase.

Just because your Dyno did not go below 3k does not mean your engine will never operate below that. I dive in auto when the engine is cold and into and around town. It often runs at 2k and sometimes a little below.

I applaud you for all the work you did in choosing an exhaust and been a great source to all of us here; however engine construction, intake and exhaust systems have an effect on engine operation. Porsche has put more effort into design and development of the whole engine, and the intake and exhaust systems are a big part of this. Part of Porsches goals were to create an engine that was able to serve race duty while being able to also operate very well on the street by expanding the power curve. Like it or not most after market exhaust manufactures chose to only do the rear bypass and leave the valves for a reason.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thin piping, cheesy stamped flange, and for $1500 they could have cleaned up the appearance. Fitment was not the best although it doesn't leak.

We didn't see a reason to go for heavier piping, as the gauge we used is plenty thick enough. Any thicker and it would just be adding weight. Our design was to save weight. You could even go thinner with no issues. I believe the stock center uses thinner tubing.

We could "Clean up" the appearance by electro-polishing (something we've done before) or black ceramic coating (which we offer as an option), but ultimately both these don't matter as you can't see the exhaust unless you're under the car. The electropolish option looks great when you first install it, but within a few 1000 miles either pipe would similar. And the black pipes stick out like a sore thumb on the otherwise steel exhaust.

The flange is a laser cut stainless steel, heavy gauge plate. Unless you meant the supporting bracket is "cheesy stamped"? If so yes it's just to put our name on it and keep track of batches and product changes. And it's also laser cut stainless steel. This way we don't have people selling their brand (such as the many replicas on Ebay) with their own design, then we get blamed when they don't fit or fall apart etc. and people call for support using a counterfeit part.

I am surprised you even critiqued the fitment, as we have installed 100s of these in person and have changed the pipe several times to have fitment that's nearly as good as OEM.

I hope you like the sound at least...
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree they are good $$ for part but SW was the first to come up with solution on 991 GT3 and they deserve to make money on these low volume items (some other companies are even more $)...I have installed sharky bypasses on all my GT3/RS cars in my garage and absolutely drive the crap out of my cars on track and have never had a leak or problem whatsoever so to me flange works fine. I also don't stop on the track to admire the bypass which is mostly covered by bumper cover anyways (so what's the point) so I guess at end of day the weight savings, proper seal to side pipes and not leaking is far more important than a polished 20lb bypass that just looks good?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Sharkwerks stands behind their product. Its not only what you buy, its who you buy it from.

Quick Reply: Heard Sharkwerks in person yesterday