Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:28 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 634 Likes on 303 Posts

My 2010 GT3 had the tranny go and was replaced under warranty. Syncs went in 1st and 2nd and then starting making odd noises. PCNA covered it under warranty.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

All fine when under warranty but these complicated cars will be money pits after it ends. Pity the people who are gona buy them out of warranty after its been beaten at the track and driven in winter.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Not to twist the proverbial knife,but that's probably the number of manual transmissions that have failed over the course of 4-5 years...
That'll get fixed under warranty. Unlike an over-rev, for example. And how many over-revs, hard and "gentle", caused premature engine failures or rebuilds?

But the knife-twisting remark aside, your point is valid. It's natural that PDK is going to be less reliable than manual - it's newer and more complex tech. At the same time, if other car models are a good predictor, it's going to have much better longevity and will protect engine better than manual. A fair trade off.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:41 PM
raysmd
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

how much do you guys think it will cost to replace PDK when out of warranty?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

neanicu

I've been to Brian Copan's shop on several occasions. He rebuilds a lot of boxes with broken synchros, sliders and gears. I've tracked manual cars for 25 years and I'm quiet happy with the PDK.

I'd suggest you get a set of bias ply tires with tubes to really engage your car.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:59 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
My 2010 GT3 had the tranny go and was replaced under warranty. Syncs went in 1st and 2nd and then starting making odd noises. PCNA covered it under warranty.
Same here, although since I was installing a Guards Diff at the time it wasn't covered by warranty. All in all I personally think (well I know actually) the synchro's in the .2 are crap brass and don't last- all heavily tracked cars driven by people that 'rush'- ie don't make deliberate and thereby slow shifts will eventually wear the synchro's out. That is not a failure per se, but a very expensive repair for something that should be more robust in a car meant for track work.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd
how much do you guys think it will cost to replace PDK when out of warranty?
There are quite a few good threads about PDK failures on the 997 board. Interestingly,Porsche has gone out of their way to help replace even PDK units that were out of warranty. But to answer your question,the PDK unit costs 14K! I'll repeat : fourteen thousand dollars! Does anyone care to guess how much PDK-S is going to cost?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
neanicu

I'd suggest you get a set of bias ply tires with tubes to really engage your car.
LOL!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

There are quite a few good threads about PDK failures on the 997 board. Interestingly,Porsche has gone out of their way to help replace even PDK units that were out of warranty. But to answer your question,the PDK unit costs 14K! I'll repeat : fourteen thousand dollars! Does anyone care to guess how much PDK-S is going to cost?
More than a manual transmission repair, but it won't be a wholesale swap out of warranty trust me. NOBODY will tolerate that kind of 'throw parts at it' repair when they are footing the bill. For example with my SMG E46 M3 out of warranty when I had a similar failure out of warranty the dealer said, "Well, we need to replace the control unit, SMG pump, sensors and clutch." To which I told them that's fine, do it one at a time until it is fixed and I will only pay for the part and labor that's bad. They didn't like that idea and eventually all I paid for was the clutch replacement.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It's $12k for a replacement manual transmission in a 991 - so really not much difference there. It's also the same price in a 997, so you save $2k in a full replace. Both can be rebuilt etc, so you're probably not going to be paying any difference in a typical rebuild unless you're replacing both clutches.

PDK equipped cars do a fantastic job of protecting the entire drivetrain in a problem, which I think gives them the longer term advantage.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:50 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First, I'm terribly sorry for the confusion. When I was comparing to my transmission replacement, I meant back last year when I had it done. Not this weekend. I had no failures at all. So, again sorry for not filling in the holes. (Good meeting you Manifold. You run real fast, buddy.)

That said, it's looking like there was a problem with the temperature control unit or thermostat of sorts inside the transmission? The tech said he had to download data and it's now forwarded to Germany and they're reviewing information. Similar to my transmission issues LAST FALL, Porsche will NOT permit the tear down of the trans. So, it's looking like a complete replacement at this point, but we'll find out shortly.

Again, unlike when my transmission failed I was the first failure in the U.S. and had to wait two months for a new transmission to be shipped. We're hoping w/ so many GT3's now on the ground in the U.S. that they can have a new trans in place in short order with parts more readily available?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Does anyone care to guess how much PDK-S is going to cost?
Not a guess

9G1-300-031-91 TRANSAXLE
911; W/O AWD; W/GT3
MSRP $24,262.60 sunset $19,434.9
Old 06-25-2015, 01:18 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
First, I'm terribly sorry for the confusion. When I was comparing to my transmission replacement, I meant back last year when I had it done. Not this weekend. I had no failures at all. So, again sorry for not filling in the holes. (Good meeting you Manifold. You run real fast, buddy.)

That said, it's looking like there was a problem with the temperature control unit or thermostat of sorts inside the transmission? The tech said he had to download data and it's now forwarded to Germany and they're reviewing information. Similar to my transmission issues LAST FALL, Porsche will NOT permit the tear down of the trans. So, it's looking like a complete replacement at this point, but we'll find out shortly.

Again, unlike when my transmission failed I was the first failure in the U.S. and had to wait two months for a new transmission to be shipped. We're hoping w/ so many GT3's now on the ground in the U.S. that they can have a new trans in place in short order with parts more readily available?
Not surprised,
he is really bad with heel & toe
Old 06-25-2015, 03:18 PM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another known PDK-s failure

I was at the Glen as well and sorry to observe the PDK failure. Mine performed flawlessly-first track outing at 1000 miles. One day in each of the three modes-finally preferred Sport + Auto with an occasional helpful upshift to keep RPM below 8500.
On thread subject, I can confirm another GT3 PDK replacement in a non-tracked car for "unusual noises" during around town driving and shifting.
New tranny was available in a few days and solved problem.
Unfortunately we never get any feed back on root causes-nor does the dealer best I can tell.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

My 11 GTS had a leak from the factory. Very small and I would have just dealt with it. However, the tech at POV went through a documentation procedure and submitted it through the warranty channels. In less than a week Porsche said they wanted to put in a new one. About three days after that a new transmission was in the service area at POV.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure