Sponsored by:

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Failure

Drove Watkins Glen this weekend w/ a friend of mine who also owns a 2014 GT3. Last day, he came in early from his session. He lost all his odd numbered gears and had engine light on. He took off early and trailered home Sunday.

When he called his techs (down in Florida), they suggested we unhook battery and that it can sometimes clear the "control module and that they've seen this happen to other GT3's?" Apparently, it's common to lose all your odd or even gears?? It didn't work.

Spoke to dealer Monday and at first blush, it appears he's going to be in the same boat as me, needing entire transmission? Unlike me however, there's no oil or leakage on his trans?

Anyone else have this happen?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both Gt3 need transmission replacement??? Weirddddd
Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Could be an overheating issue given it happened to you both at the same event? Did you run a cool down lap at all? IME, popping the engine deck lid between sessions is a good idea.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Rob in Potomac
Advanced

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Could be an overheating issue given it happened to you both at the same event? Did you run a cool down lap at all? IME, popping the engine deck lid between sessions is a good idea.
Wasn't that hot this weekend at track and checker thrown early enough to provide ample cool down. Sorry to hear that problem was not just software related. The Glen certainly is due for the repaving scheduled to begin soon, very bumpy especially in climbing esses, although I enjoyed getting a pass and driving side by side up through T2.

Rob in Potomac
Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I was at the same event and the car ran fine. Was usually able to do cool down laps, but not always. Was good to meet est8esq and a few others, though unfortunate to hear of the car issues.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Weird.. Are they both 2014s?
Old 06-24-2015, 12:07 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not clear.

Est8esq, does your car also need another new transmission replacement after this event, or are you referring to your previous transmission replacement last September to November?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...id-leak-4.html

Ryan
Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transmission Failure

He is talking of issue with his transmission last year.

There are 4-5 transmissions I know now have been replaced...
Old 06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Not to twist the proverbial knife,but that's probably the number of manual transmissions that have failed over the course of 4-5 years...
Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Not to turn the proverbial knife 180 degrees but how many transmissions have been rebuilt due to synchros, sliders and pitting gears? I'd say it is safe to say it is well north of 4-5.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Without knowing exact numbers we can only assume. Although,one has to admit that the more complicated systems are the more prone to failure they become. The PDK transmission is a very complicated unit that relies on electronics to do the shifting,yet the good ole manual trannies are mechanical devices that of course do wear,but the cost to fix them can't simply be compared to costs of fixing a PDK unit! Wait,there's not one PDK unit that has been " fixed " just yet since they were introduced in 2009! They have all been either replaced or the only " fix " allowed by Porsche was changing the oil temperature sensor.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Under warranty. **** happens and get fixed. Sorry that you have to wait.

How long does it take to replace a tranny and what does it entail-
Old 06-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its an interesting point. I know of one warranty engine rebuild/replacement and two transmissions warrant rebuild in the 997 GT3 generations cars sold new in NZ between 2006-2011 (includes 4.0L RS). That's a total of less than 50 units all iterations (RS+GT3+4.0L) sold in NZ new over that period. There has been one 991 GT3 transmission replacement (car was near new with under 2000 miles and not tracked) for 22 NZ new 991 GT3 sold. IMO given time and numbers the 991 GT3 is still relatively unknown. Im sure many of the transmission issues we have heard about could have been repaired by the dealer but as Nick states the factory have chosen to recall these units and examine them at PAg replacing them with new units. As such its really hard to get a grip on what the faults/issues are and for the after-market or independent service industry (let alone the main dealers) to work on a solution. Guys like Guards Transmissions & BGM have experience in the field (track &racing) with these units so can probably shed some light. To date the only areas I can point to are gaskets, sensors and perhaps heat issues. From the 5 samples in my "database" information other than initial symptoms are sketchy. One thing that is apparent in the last 6-7 years is Porsche GT products have had a number of quality related issues (supplier related mostly but some design issues too). IMO Porsche need to improve all round here. Its clear the technology leaps are increasing in pace and the development cycles are shortening but they need to put more time into supplier relations, stress testing etc. All while in the face of significant competition often within their own organisation. Not an easy mix given the market demands bigger and bigger benefits from each generation....
Old 06-24-2015, 07:41 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Sure,the warranty will take care of it!
Look,I am not here to create a doomsday scenario for PDK transmissions. My point applies across the board in any modern vehicle. My upcoming GT4 is no exception. I will not own any modern vehicle past warranty anymore! Unless I'm prepared to pay! And pay dearly! They are simply not reliable like they used to be.
Unfortunately,manufacturers are simply building them that way and the target customer is exactly the kind that buys them under warranty and gets rid of them for their newer model when the warranty is up. It's how business works these days.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Sure,the warranty will take care of it!
Look,I am not here to create a doomsday scenario for PDK transmissions. My point applies across the board in any modern vehicle. My upcoming GT4 is no exception. I will not own any modern vehicle past warranty anymore! Unless I'm prepared to pay! And pay dearly! They are simply not reliable like they used to be.
Unfortunately,manufacturers are simply building them that way and the target customer is exactly the kind that buys them under warranty and gets rid of them for their newer model when the warranty is up. It's how business works these days.
I do not disagree. If an extended warranty can not be had at a reasonable price say bye bye

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure