New Manual Narrow Wingless 911 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:13 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
[/RIGHT]

Seriously. Better off not smoking the crystal and going straight for the pure Columbian...964/993RS IMO!
This was my immediate reaction, I'd much rather have a 964.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's my view all over when it comes to this "but it doesn't have enough old school feel" debate. You either choose the new tech that takes the game forward or you buy into the back catalogue and enjoy the "interaction and intimacy". Sitting around complaining the new stuff aint as light, feelsome, manual etc as the old stuff is wasted synaptic activity IMO. For the price of the GT4 I ordered I could buy a very nice hot rodded 964 with 3.8 litre engine upgrade, big reds and some tasty fruit which wouldnt in real world terms on or off the track be much slower and would be 50% more involving (I should qualify that by saying the only reason I have a GT4 on order is because I already have a 993 in RS spec)...

I might add. Whats this GT without aero thing all about? Is it still a GT car without a wing? Every RS since dawn had a wing no?Maybe Frankels spys saw the next gen GTS...
Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A very good trend if it turns out to be true on the size issue. While I love my GT3, it does feel a little larger on the road than I would prefer. And several reviewers have mentioned that the RS feels even bigger.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LAGinz
A very good trend if it turns out to be true on the size issue. While I love my GT3, it does feel a little larger on the road than I would prefer. And several reviewers have mentioned that the RS feels even bigger.
There is a 1.5% increase in width from the GT3 to the RS. The increase from the C2S to the GT3 is 2.4%. I can honestly say I don't feel the 2.4% so can't see how I'll notice the 1.5%. My track car is 2.8% narrower than the GT3, I don't notice the difference between the 2 of them on the track either.

Now a 964 is a full 20cm narrower than a GT3, that I notice

I like reviews for the pictures...
Old 06-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Having a GT3 and a 991 50th (essentially a GTS), Porsche already has a more engaging car??

With 430hp powerkit, 7 speed, SPASM and the sport exhaust the non GT car is already more emotional and engaging than the GT3. On the track it can't keep up, but on the road its already got what most are looking for.

That said, narrow body and something akin to a new gen RSA (although likely not a price stripper like RSA) may have a lot of pull. Who knows maybe Porsche is watching the astounding price increases on RSA's and trying to find yet one more niche......
Old 06-04-2015, 11:47 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have no interest in a gt with no wing, narrow body or 3 pedals. I love manuals but when it comes to performance you can't beat a pdk. And I would hate to have a missed shift at 9k.
The only thing I would like to see is the 911 to stop growing and start going back down to the size of the early days
Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

That's my view all over when it comes to this "but it doesn't have enough old school feel" debate. You either choose the new tech that takes the game forward or you buy into the back catalogue and enjoy the "interaction and intimacy". Sitting around complaining the new stuff aint as light, feelsome, manual etc as the old stuff is wasted synaptic activity IMO....
And yet here's Porsche not only listening but delivering: GT4; whatever this new GT is; potential GT3 w/manual.

Agree 964 is the unicorn target in terms of size. Disagree that you can't have best of old (small, lightweight) with new (stiffer, lighter, more efficient DFI motor, PCCB's, etc). Oh to have a big shopping cart and access to the full historical parts bin. Singer almost has it nailed.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe they have a need to fill the GT car price gap between a GT4 and GT3 with a new GT. The GT4 certainly proves the market WANTS a fun, grassroots and inexpensive (in comparison to current GT3/RS) GT model. If you stripped a 991 of EVERYTHING in base chassis (not C4) and equipped a manual tranny and included a power kit 430hp version of 3.8L and priced it right between GT4 and GT3 it will sell well.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:37 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 95 Posts

Essentially a stripped-down narrow body GTS with a new GT badge. I will guess MSRP starting around $120k and I won't be surprised if they call it just "911 GT" or "911 R".
Old 06-04-2015, 02:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Grant. Call me a skeptic but Frankel lost me when he miss reported (in a big way) twice late last year and early this year on the 991 GT3RS and the Hatz interview.

I put zero credence in this piece.
Hmmm, a bit sobering. I appreciate the reality check (I generally need one), but I still hope you're wrong
Old 06-04-2015, 02:52 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so they're making a lower level GTS? that's what I took from the article.

no widebody, no care.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:52 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I believe they have a need to fill the GT car price gap between a GT4 and GT3 with a new GT. The GT4 certainly proves the market WANTS a fun, grassroots and inexpensive (in comparison to current GT3/RS) GT model. If you stripped a 991 of EVERYTHING in base chassis (not C4) and equipped a manual tranny and included a power kit 430hp version of 3.8L and priced it right between GT4 and GT3 it will sell well.
Isn't that what a GTS already is?
Old 06-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Grant. Call me a skeptic but Frankel lost me when he miss reported (in a big way) twice late last year and early this year on the 991 GT3RS and the Hatz interview.

I put zero credence in this piece.
I tend to agree. A new GT car with" skinnier less grippy tires", minimal aero, but the same engine and power as a GT3? Doesn't seem likely to me. No matter how you slice it or what you want to believe there are a lot of maybes, likelies, and other unsubstantiated guesswork in that article.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:20 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

The thing Porsche is forgetting is 90% of this generation, me included, gets bored with a car after two years no matter how fast, engaging, etc it is. For some it's even shorter than that. So actually maybe Porsche has it right and as long as they come out with something different every two years they have it made. We will all buy it and justify it for some reason as long as we still have money. There's always something better out there we don't have. I don't thing they can make future gt cars "slower" than the current one and still sell a lot of them. It's very hard to go back on speed once you get used to it.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by nlpamg
so they're making a lower level GTS? that's what I took from the article.

no widebody, no care.
So, you evidently missed the part about the dry-sump 9,000 rpm GT3 motor?

Quick Reply: New Manual Narrow Wingless 911 GT?