Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Manual Narrow Wingless 911 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:42 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

would love to see something like an RS America.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:47 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

deleted
Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I just cannot see this. One of the problems is that marketing a car as an involving fun ride is a brilliant strategy for the new Mazda MX5 and makes all kinds of sense for that segment, where it is of course, true.

Now, move to Porsche. Has to price above the Cayman,and somewhere in the 911 range. Stripped out and simplified. This made lots of sense when Porsche was a little company and they could hand build a few dozen or a few hundred cars,but now I cannot see this as a volume product. You have to move from the non-representative people on Rennlist who are the serious enthusiasts and look at the general population and I cannot see the appeal out there.

For the people here, some will want the more involving but less performing car, but how many will cancel their GT or RS?….speaking for myself, would not do it.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Seems to me Porsche has a great GT car already in the 991 Turbo and, for those who want N/A power,
in the Carrera GTS.
IMHO,The present GT3, and from the Road Reviews, the GT3RS, can be, will be, and is used as an everyday car now by many owners. I use my GT3 more than I use all of my other cars combined.
It is simply more fun to drive.

If power is not important, plenty of choices abound already in the base Carrera Models with a stick.
Want smaller and more nimble with your stick? Cayman and Boxster fill that bill.

A Neutered GT3 with “skinnier less grippy tires” and a softer, more compliant narrower body and chassis
doesn’t sound like anything either the performance buyers, the comfort buyers or the status buyers would rush to buy. Why would anyone waste that Jewel of a GT3 Race Engine in a Chassis that can't possibly make use of its performance?
IMHO, it seems like a highly compromised clunker that would do nothing very well.
It fills a market niche that I just don't see existing and answers the question no one is asking.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:52 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
So, you evidently missed the part about the dry-sump 9,000 rpm GT3 motor?
It said similar or the same. I doubt they would use the same engine and if they used the normal 3.8 from the Carrera S, then it would just be another GTS but with a narrow body.

I don't see the point of making something above the GTS as the GTS is already close in price (optioned out) to a GT3.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:55 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Seems to me Porsche has a great GT car already in the 991 Turbo and, for those who want N/A power,
in the Carrera GTS.
IMHO,The present GT3, and from the Road Reviews, the GT3RS, can be, will be, and is used as an everyday car now by many owners. I use my GT3 more than I use all of my other cars combined.
It is simply more fun to drive.

If power is not important, plenty of choices abound already in the base Carrera Models with a stick.
Want smaller and more nimble with your stick? Cayman and Boxster fill that bill.

A Neutered GT3 with “skinnier less grippy tires” and a softer, more compliant narrower body and chassis
doesn’t sound like anything either the performance buyers, the comfort buyers or the status buyers would rush to buy. Why would anyone waste that Jewel of a GT3 Race Engine in a Chassis that can't possibly make use of its performance?
IMHO, it seems like a highly compromised clunker that would do nothing very well.
It fills a market niche that I just don't see existing and answers the question no one is asking.

We love big wing
We love wide rubber
We love wide body
We love technology
We love light car
We love the stick, OK, but make it faster than actual GT3 or shut it up!!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by nlpamg
It said similar or the same (motor as GT3).
I read that to mean it would be the GT3 motor with a possibility of reducing power by ~10hp (via software like the Boxster vs Cayman) if that was necessary to avoid undercutting the GT3's price with a car of the same power.

Or maybe it will use the current GT3 475hp motor and be sold alongside the 991.2 GT3 with ~500hp?

Last edited by GrantG; 06-04-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What Lane says summarises it very well from a product placement and marketing perspective IMO.

I have been told off record it could be some time before PAG release another GT production engine with a 9000 rpm limiter!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
What Lane says summarises it very well from a product placement and marketing perspective IMO.
My personal biases cause me to disagree. I think there is a market for such a car that places involvement and fun over outright pace. As for the marketing angle, making a modern 911R (50th Anniversary in Model Year 2017) or Carrera RS would appeal to a pretty large segment of the Porsche faithful. I'm thinking something like a narrow Sport Classic with lighter weight, GT3 motor, sportier tuning, and reasonable price point could be very interesting. The Sport Classic was under equipped and grossly overpriced.

If the GT4 was truly the inspiration, I think something like it with an extra 90hp (and with an iconic 911R/RS body/interior with rear seats and rear engine) could sell very well.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
This might be the rumoured less-is-more "Cup edition." Let's have some fun guessing:
3.8L GT3 engine, 6MT, no wing, narrow body, no RWS, no rear seats, LWB (delayed production included), CF fenders, Mg roof (just to make it cost more), decal badge (just to make it weigh less), strap door pulls (in black, orange, or silver only), PCCB, polycarbonate rear window (ROW only, what were you thinking US customers), optional AC delete, optional radio delete, white plus a few other forgettable colours, no PTS, maybe PTS (we really NEED it!!!), ok now there's PTS but just for a few lucky winners (all the rest of you can drool).
Exactly what I have been waiting for. Porsche will sell at least one, that I guarantee. Glimmers of hope like this are one of the reasons I stick around here...

There is room for this car above the GT4 and below the GT3, especially if Porsche continues to push the current GT3 and RS upmarket. But it is also the space people on the 981 board think will be filled by a GT4RS...
Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I love the idea of a narrow body GT car. I hope this is a possibility.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Take a narrow body, add less grippy tires, stuff a 9a1 GT3 engine with a MT and IMHO will most likely result in a whole bunch of lawsuits as the widows of new to the make owners find themselves on the short end of the stick. I have a hard time visualizing this particular car. If it is not made for performance then what is it for? A cruiser? A backroad carver? Imagine a less than proficient driver on less grippy tires backroad carving sitting on top of 475 hp on tap, while at the same time shifting gears. I am sure there are plenty of RLs who are up to the task, but I am also certain there will be new to the make less than trained "enthusiasts" sitting on the steering wheell of these things? Uffff!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

I think a lot of people underestimate the power of demographics on the discretionary car market. Fact is most of the wealthy developed world is aging rapidly and nostalgia is a favorite pastime. They want play cars that remind them and take them to a time when they were young. So they buy an M3 (insert whatever floated your boat) expecting a light, high-revving car of their youth that danced over back roads only to be disappointed when they get a 3,800lb torque monster loaded with electronics that pummels the road into submission. Doesn't really fit the bill. Nor do most want the leaks, musty carpet, lack of warranty, and tired mechanicals that go with actually owning an old car. This is why guys like Tom Dickinson and Henry Pearman can charge $400k-$850k plus for "reimagined" Porsches and Jags. It's what's driven the explosion off the resto-mod industry over the past decade plus.

Trust me, if Porsche brought out a smaller, lighter decontented 911 aimed at this enthusiast - not the guy that reads a magazine and thinks he's gonna go turn a 7:20 at The Ring - they'd be even more shocked at the demand than they were with the GT4.

Not saying it can or will happen. Just saying the demand is there and it's big.

Last edited by Nizer; 06-04-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,526 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I believe they have a need to fill the GT car price gap between a GT4 and GT3 with a new GT. The GT4 certainly proves the market WANTS a fun, grassroots and inexpensive (in comparison to current GT3/RS) GT model. If you stripped a 991 of EVERYTHING in base chassis (not C4) and equipped a manual tranny and included a power kit 430hp version of 3.8L and priced it right between GT4 and GT3 it will sell well.
Yup.

This supposed "new" 911 GT variant is already in existence.

If Porsche makes it, it'll be an exercise in changing nameplates on the *** of the 911.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Grant. Call me a skeptic but Frankel lost me when he miss reported (in a big way) twice late last year and early this year on the 991 GT3RS and the Hatz interview.

I put zero credence in this piece.
Agree.

If you look at the facts logically Porsche do not need another GT sub variant. The GT3/GT4/RS cover all the bases and yet to not saturate demand. Introducing an additional model variant is expensive and achieves little if you work the said design parameters into the existing model hierarchy.
Agree.

The manual transmission thing & "involvement" has got a bit carried away IMO.
I'm a long-time MT guy, but have to agree.

You can have "Porsche Ellusive" and "Paint too Scarce" in the new Frankel rumoured car Mooty :-)
Porsche Elusive. That's clever. Wish I'd thought of it.

Oh wait.

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
Essentially a stripped-down narrow body GTS with a new GT badge.
Seems that way.

Originally Posted by nlpamg
Isn't that what a GTS already is?
GTS+ maybe. Honestly, not that exciting to me. More watering down of the GT moniker.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This supposed "new" 911 GT variant is already in existence.

If Porsche makes it, it'll be an exercise in changing nameplates on the *** of the 911.
Correct.

Quick Reply: New Manual Narrow Wingless 911 GT?