Sponsored by:

Lava Orange now in the GT3 configurator

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:13 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Lava Orange now in the GT3 configurator

So after 2 years the original color I wanted for my GT3 is now a special order color for the GT3. Lava Orange is basically the same as the 70s blutorange/tangerine, one of my favorite old school Porsche colors. I don't know how much it's going to cost me but I am going to try to swap my 15 for a LO 16. Of course that's assuming I can get an allocation.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Odd that some other models had LO available before the GT3. But I can never figure out PAG when it comes to exterior paint issues.

Last edited by FORENN; 06-02-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:21 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

YES!!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck! After all this I really hope you get one!! It might very well be that in all cases where a historic colour has been revamped slightly and renamed (eg club coupe), the problem was the original formulation couldnt pass testing. And it's unlikely pag would normally offer up a passable substitute to an individual applying for a colour via pts that didn't pass. In the case of blutorange, maybe it's fortunate there is now LO as a factory replacement for a colour that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. It's not looking like pag denied the request for blutorange to "safeguard" LO as an RS colour since they've now allowed it on many other variants. So the turn of events that brought about a viable substitute at this time might be very fortunate for you!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Good luck! After all this I really hope you get one!! It might very well be that in all cases where a historic colour has been revamped slightly and renamed (eg club coupe), the problem was the original formulation couldnt pass testing. And it's unlikely pag would normally offer up a passable substitute to an individual applying for a colour via pts that didn't pass. In the case of blutorange, maybe it's fortunate there is now LO as a factory replacement for a colour that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. It's not looking like pag denied the request for blutorange to "safeguard" LO as an RS colour since they've now allowed it on many other variants. So the turn of events that brought about a viable substitute at this time might be very fortunate for you!
PTS is an interesting if albeit odd process. Porsche doesn't really work with the customer to arrive at a solution. It's strictly thumbs up or down. Of course even when I moved from tangerine to birch green the PTS was cancelled purportedly due to the end of GT3 production, as was the case with others on this forum. In the final analysis it's Porsche's game and their rules, fluid as they may be.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
So after 2 years the original color I wanted for my GT3 is now a special order color for the GT3. Lava Orange is basically the same as the 70s blutorange/tangerine, one of my favorite old school Porsche colors. I don't know how much it's going to cost me but I am going to try to swap my 15 for a LO 16. Of course that's assuming I can get an allocation.
Good decision. Good luck, David!

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Odd that some other models had LO available before the GT3. But I can never figure out PAG when it comes to exterior paint issues.
Me either...but 'carpe diem' as we say in Rome.

Daniel: That is a very astute analysis. And I think you might be correct.

Although it would not be my first choice if I had full PTS options available, I would select 'Lava Orange' if I had a MY2016 gt3 allocation. I would do so because its a lovely color...and there will be FEW .1 991 gt3s ever done in this hue! Regardless the fact the deviating 'Orange' stitching is not yet available in this particular gt3 model for '16, 'Platinum' will go well with it. Finally, you get an 'almost' PTS color ($5500) for a bargain price of 'Special Paint' ($3140). Overall, not a bad deal for the few of you that still have the option to order a '16 991 gt3 today!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently in Mill Valley, CA (Hanoi-by-the-Bay)
Old 06-02-2015, 01:57 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

I carpe'd this diem... Just updated my build for LO, woo hoo! I had previously asked for LO (a few weeks ago) since it was an option for "regular" 2016 991s and was told no. Hopefully since it now on the configurator they will confirm it today.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:13 PM
UT911GTS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMN!!! My16 locked last week. No LO for me.

Did the GT silver metallic. Worse problems to have!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:39 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
Finally, you get an 'almost' PTS color
lol. I would argue this is 'better-than-PTS'--in that they have created a great work-around solution for a PTS impasse. I agree with djcxxx that it's too bad Porsche doesn't/can't do this routinely for clients whose requested colours don't pass. But of course it would be a huge ask and quite costly to arrive at a mutually acceptable paint formulation. So when the factory decides to go through all this hassle and work to successfully revive great historic colours like blutorange, Bahama blue, etc, we all benefit!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

lol. I would argue this is 'better-than-PTS'--in that they have created a great work-around solution for a PTS impasse. I agree with djcxxx that it's too bad Porsche doesn't/can't do this routinely for clients whose requested colours don't pass. But of course it would be a huge ask and quite costly to arrive at a mutually acceptable paint formulation. So when the factory decides to go through all this hassle and work to successfully revive great historic colours like blutorange, Bahama blue, etc, we all benefit!
Sorry, but unless LO was your PTS choice (or very close to it), it is not better or even nearly as good as PTS.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Looks like it isn't available till Sept 6 at the earliest. Build currently early July. What to do...
Old 06-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder if the GT4 configurator will reflect LO soon...
Old 06-03-2015, 12:06 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 'Lava Orange' soon...and PTS next!

Originally Posted by Macca
I wonder if the GT4 configurator will reflect LO soon...
That...and better than that! It will soon let you do PTS, which is also being added to the 981 Spyder configurator as we speak!

If that is the case, can PAG make the MY2016 gt3 the sole exception for not being allowed to get PTS????? I find that hard to believe! Unless they are stopping .1 991 gt3 production in early fall of 2015. And that might be the case...we just don't yet know.

Note that Porsche has had PTS capabilities at the Karmann Osnabrück facility for one year now! That is were the gt4s, like all Caymans, will be built! And Karmann is doing quite a number of Boxsters there too...and probably has the capacity to do more of those. As .2 991 starts up later this fall & puts production pressure on the only location (Zuffenhausen) producing 991s, PAG should be able to alleviate pressure there by shifting more Boxster production to Osnabrück...and do PTS for the 981 Spyder & the Cayman gt4 without any issues!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-03-2015, 12:16 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Sorry, but unless LO was your PTS choice (or very close to it), it is not better or even nearly as good as PTS.
Yes of course. I agree it's no good if you wanted a different colour; my comment was relevant to the op in the context of requesting pts blutorange.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:17 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Eduardo, I believe they are trying to get all .1 GT3 production done as you say by end of summer. I am trying to get more clarification but LO may not be available for me even if I wanted to wait, dealer made some reference to not being able to delay that long.

It would be odd to be building 991.2s alongside .1 GT3s which would support the theory that they have a limited window to build a small batch of GT3s (before end of summer when 991.2s start production.) Although they are building the RS, wonder if the fact that is based on Turbo chassis makes it different? Any idea when the first RS PTS cars will be built? I bet that is Sept onward... I bet is has other changes that are in line with .2 cars, like electronics and the obvious one, the 918 wheel. 2016 GT3 lack any changes over 2015 MY cars. I wanted that steering wheel!

Originally Posted by Z356
That...and better than that! It will soon let you do PTS, which is also being added to the 981 Spyder configurator as we speak! If that is the case, can PAG make the MY2016 gt3 the sole exception for not being allowed to get PTS????? I find that hard to believe! Unless they are stopping .1 991 gt3 production in early fall of 2015. And that might be the case...we just don't yet know. Note that Porsche has had PTS capabilities at the Karmann Osnabrück facility for one year now! That is were the gt4s, like all Caymans, will be built! And Karmann is doing quite a number of Boxsters there too...and probably has the capacity to do more of those. As .2 991 starts up later this fall & puts production pressure on the only location (Zuffenhausen) producing 991s, PAG should be able to alleviate pressure there by shifting more Boxster production to Osnabrück...and do PTS for the 981 Spyder & the Cayman gt4 without any issues! Saludos, Eduardo Carmel

Quick Reply: Lava Orange now in the GT3 configurator