Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Why so much windshield damage from the Smokey Mountain drive? High speed, close following, dirty roads, off roading??
Old 06-02-2015, 02:24 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why so much windshield damage from the Smokey Mountain drive? High speed, close following, dirty roads, off roading??
I think mainly close driving but we did take a road last minute that had a lot of gravel in it. That's where I pick up my chip. No one went off roading that I know of.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:19 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
I think mainly close driving but we did take a road last minute that had a lot of gravel in it. That's where I pick up my chip. No one went off roading that I know of.
Yeah, that last route was rough.

Over 2 days with 39 GT3s we had zero off road events. Following was close at times and it only takes one lucky piece of gravel.

Ryan
Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,137 Likes on 606 Posts

clearplex on my last two 981s and going to put it on the GT4 . what you want for an installer is a window tint guy not a clear bra installer. I used to buy NASCAR tear-offs for my lotus worked great but i cant remember where i got them. Hector, my installer has done 6 cars for me and hes a pro. He is in santa barbara 805 689 5673 charges $100 for an install does great work. i have no business interest with him just a referral. carl
Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 384 Likes on 215 Posts

Sorry about that - the road was pretty good otherwise...
Old 06-03-2015, 12:39 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Sorry about that - the road was pretty good otherwise...
Not blaming you at all. The road was a blast. And so ready to go back. I actually planning a day trip to highlands in the next weekend or two.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:07 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 384 Likes on 215 Posts

Not blaming you at all. The road was a blast. And so ready to go back. I actually planning a day trip to highlands in the next weekend or two.
Have a good trip! Wish I was close enough for a weekend trip.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Just back from the factory and was able to see the process in which they mount the factory windshield (very elaborate laser and computerized analysis of where and how much adhesive to use and both glass and adhesive installed by a robot). Makes me think it's a good idea to preserve the original glass (not easy here in Colorado).

Any further comments about best products for this?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:56 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Just back from the factory and was able to see the process in which they mount the factory windshield (very elaborate laser and computerized analysis of where and how much adhesive to use and both glass and adhesive installed by a robot). Makes me think it's a good idea to preserve the original glass (not easy here in Colorado).

Any further comments about best products for this?
I've been trying to get Clearplex. Has been nothing short of impossible to get the product from them or any other vendor. I guess the market for car windshield protection pales in comparison to the smartphone market.

I saw Bray group, but their 2-layer product is $899 (!). Not sure if their single layer product compares to Clearplex, but it's $299.

http://www.braygroup.com/3d-windshie...-of-porsche-gt

Does anyone have any other alternatives?
Old 11-01-2017, 03:07 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've applied Clearplex on about 4 new cars I've purchased in the past 6 years. It's de rigueur for me as I want to retain the factory windshield and seal for reasons previously mentioned above.

The key is to find a good installer. It's not as easy as it looks as you want it to be optically as clear as possible. I've had luck finding a couple competent ADs local to me in Los Angeles through the Clearplex find a dealer search feature. I originally ran into this product at Metropolitan Detail in Bellevue, WA. Good shop.

Though any honest installer will tell you it's a wear item (it is just like the car itself), I've yet to redo the film on any of my rides. Sure it's going to show some light scratches over time from wipers and such, but it's never bothered me enough to make time to replace it. It's definitely saved me on several occasions where I see a divot in the film, but nary a scratch on the glass itself.

If anyone needs a Los Angeles referral just hit me up.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 237 Posts

I really wanted to try 'Windshield Armor' but there's no recent advert in Panorama and when you try a web search, it states the server can't be found. A real shame as the product looked super promising.

Clearplex is the only other product I know of and as others have stated, it can be a real bastard to apply so the installer choice is paramount.

For anyone in CA: if Premier is still in business, I believe they still may have a windshield protection film as I had them do one for me on a car I purchased locally to them about six years ago.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:07 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I tried Clearplex. It's good IF you don't track. I didn't like the impact "tears" in the film which in many ways is worse than the small divots in the glass itself without the film. I was willing to deal with the issue, thinking: "at least it protects against a big crack",until it didn't. I went thru 4 windshields on my '14 GT3 and I'm on my third on my RS. I use OEM windshields and all of them are like factory, so I consider the windshield a disposable item. BTW, I have one Clearplex still in a tube it anyone wants, $300. Here's an expensive option that is very high end:
http://www.braygroup.com/
Old 11-01-2017, 10:53 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had Clearplex on my Cs and .1 GT3 and now scheduled for my just arrived .2 GT3. Installer says it’s extremely challenging to install but I tried another brand with poor results. I track and would rather see pits in the replaceable plastic than glass.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Friends don't let friends use Clearplex.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:58 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 136 Posts

Just ordered Bray Group Single Layer for $300 to see how it works. And installed clearplex around 5 times on many different cars. Takes some patience, but no big deal. Clearplex as a product is not the issue. Availability is. Clearplex has saved me may numerous times from chips, on track and on the road.

My .2 GT3 will be here next week and once I get / install the Bray product, I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Windshield protection film?