Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:36 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Does it reduce chipping or just make it so they can be peeled off with the shield?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:37 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Does it reduce chipping or just make it so they can be peeled off with the shield?
A little of both I believe. Smaller pits can be peeled away with removal of Clearplex. Having had it installed prior to my last track day, I have mixed feelings about it. I can see that it will help protect the windshield but the slight distortion (which I thought would go away as it cured) bothers me a bit. Sort of like a very very slight glaze of grime. I cleaned the crap out of my windshield to no avail. I may remove it.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:09 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Yes. I haven't peeled it off to see if there are any chips on my windshield but I think it's absorbed every rock. I'm not getting any distortion or blurriness. And, I have a 30 tint on the front windshield with UV on the backside of the windshield.

Had the installation done by Moe at GP. He tells me it was the first one he considered acceptable after a number of installs and I agree, there is no bubbling or any issue. Given Moe does nothing but tint and wrap and has been doing so for years and even he didn't get it perfect until a few installations, it's something you definitely want a professional to install to get it right.

Dan (had a 350z sprayed with micro rock chips on an Angeles Crest run years ago and wont let that happen again)
Old 05-31-2015, 06:43 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I had my original clearplex install done when I picked up my car in NC. Not good. Dealer paid for a redo in the Atlanta area where I live. Allprowindowtinting in Canton GA did the work and it was fantastic. Couldn't believe how clean it looked. A good installer is key. I've had two big stones hit the windshield and I don't think it would have survived either without the clearplex. Also, the Smokies trip was brutal on the car. Far worse than any of my track days. I'm going to put some track tape on the car for the fall trip!
Thanks Rich.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:44 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott997
I have a clearplex that I haven't gotten around to installing and after reading fitment issues I probably won't use. If anyone wants mine I can get it out to you way faster then clearplex took to get me mine. They took about 3 weeks. Its in the tube as sent to me, PM me if interested.
PM sent.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911dev
Derek at Atlanta Pro Films recommended his in house tint installer. PM if you'd like the contact. Derek does great work on clear bras, as evidenced by several members here. I have never used his window guy, but assume he does great work if he and Derek have a business relationship.
Pm sent.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

This product is very optically clear and offers great protection. Its critical to have someone experienced to do the install, its tricky to do right.

http://www.braygroup.com/index.html
Old 05-31-2015, 10:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,741 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
This product is very optically clear and offers great protection. Its critical to have someone experienced to do the install, its tricky to do right.

+1

And about +100 better than Clearplex.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
+1

And about +100 better than Clearplex.
I used Bray twice. Needed to remove it twice and replace with Clearplex. First time; Bray cut it too short, second time, it was scratched upon arrival. Sent back, no refund. That said, if could get it right, it seems a better product than Clearplex. Not thrilled with Brays name and logo on the product, I received. Downside with Clearplex, it's impossible to get tech support. Positive easier to find an installer.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:53 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

For something as far as helping avoid water build up, not a film, I love Adam's Glass Sealant. Maybe not what you're looking for, but a good product nonetheless.

-Luccia
Old 06-01-2015, 04:29 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey David,
Do you have a contact for the install in San Diego.
Thank you,
Old 06-01-2015, 11:26 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I have almost wrecked my windshield at the smokey drive as well and and would like more details of the bray group cover.

Do you use up the windshield you have with the rock chips and wait for the final crack on track some day or go with a new one and chance it not sealing perfectly when they place in on at you local dealer? Opinions?
Old 06-02-2015, 12:03 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 991RDC
Hey David,
Do you have a contact for the install in San Diego.
Thank you,
I'm working on this. I had the skin installed by an inexperienced window tint guy. His first attempt was pretty good but there were 3 bubbles. I had the skin on for about a month and after it cured it was optically perfect and provided great protection, I just couldn't deal with the 3 bubbles. So he attempted two more times but it was worse, so I had him remove it. They now have a custom fit pattern for the 991, so the install should be easier. I have contacted Bray to see if they have experienced installers here in San Diego. I'm interested in trying again when I get a new windshield. I have tracked the car about 15 times, so the windshield is destroyed.

David
Old 06-02-2015, 12:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,741 Likes on 5,127 Posts

I'm working on this. I had the skin installed by an inexperienced window tint guy. His first attempt was pretty good but there were 3 bubbles. I had the skin on for about a month and after it cured it was optically perfect and provided great protection, I just couldn't deal with the 3 bubbles. So he attempted two more times but it was worse, so I had him remove it. They now have a custom fit pattern for the 991, so the install should be easier. I have contacted Bray to see if they have experienced installers here in San Diego. I'm interested in trying again when I get a new windshield. I have tracked the car about 15 times, so the windshield is destroyed.

David
Just live with it.

It'll make the arrival of your RS all that much better.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:57 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by s996
I have almost wrecked my windshield at the smokey drive as well and and would like more details of the bray group cover.

Do you use up the windshield you have with the rock chips and wait for the final crack on track some day or go with a new one and chance it not sealing perfectly when they place in on at you local dealer? Opinions?
I'm getting a new windshield installed first then adding the film. I only had a chip and many pits no cracks. My insurance will put a new windshield in if the pits are bad and in line of view.

Quick Reply: Windshield protection film?