Thunderhill (over the top/cyclone config) 1:57
Sonoma Raceway 1:47
Laguna Seca 1:37
Old 05-30-2015, 04:41 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
How many days/hours of running are you getting before you flip and total? And how aggressive is your braking, Sam? Thx
Typically 5 or 6 track days before flip. One day for me is 2 hrs. Very aggressive.

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Lap times would help these brake wear assessments
COTA 2:26:20
MSR full course 2:21:24
Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 570 Posts

Lap times would help these brake wear assessments
Something like this:

But stock pads tapered on me when I was 5+ seconds per lap slower than now, so not sure if it matters that much.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:58 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

On the flip side (no pun intended :-) ), I got my money's worth from the pads on the other wheel:

So taper is not even across the sides. Seems to be more taper on the outside pad on both sides, with inside pad practically even.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:38 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strong times. Already knew Sam is quick from personal experience. I do think harder driving wears pads faster. As for taper is it caliper or caliper mount flex? Or is it the piston sizes causing more wear on one end?
Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 AM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Something like this:

But stock pads tapered on me when I was 5+ seconds per lap slower than now, so not sure if it matters that much.
Nice trophy. Have you found your wear rate has increased with greater pace? I agree if there is a piston size or flex issue causing taper that it will happen under perhaps all conditions. My query was more about wear and I tend to think pace accelerates it and I know everyone here is a track star but I could swear I've passed a GT3 before so wanted some more data.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Strong times. Already knew Sam is quick from personal experience. I do think harder driving wears pads faster. As for taper is it caliper or caliper mount flex? Or is it the piston sizes causing more wear on one end?
I actually measured piston sizes during my last brake job. They are each the same size.

Btw, your inquiry on lap times to assess brake wear rates is a legitimate question.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

My query was more about wear and I tend to think pace accelerates it and I know everyone here is a track star but I could swear I've passed a GT3 before so wanted some more data.
Taper seems to be independent of speed, at least at higher levels on track. Total wear seems to be speed dependent, but to a rather small extent. I think that's because wear accelerates rapidly when pads get above recommended operating temps, and that does not happen on GT3 even with fast drivers. This car really goes above and beyond on brake and engine cooling.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:58 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I actually measured piston sizes during my last brake job. They are each the same size.

Btw, your inquiry on lap times to assess brake wear rates is a legitimate question.
Interesting. Racing calipers I have seen have smaller trailing piston sizes to reduce pad taper wear. But I would expect Porsche to anticipate that. I am new to owning a street Porsche, having only had a cup car in the past. I am going to go lunatic fringe and try some of the EBC offerings, as they have worked well on other cars, provided to use the more aggressive pads blue and orange
Old 06-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Taper seems to be independent of speed, at least at higher levels on track. Total wear seems to be speed dependent, but to a rather small extent. I think that's because wear accelerates rapidly when pads get above recommended operating temps, and that does not happen on GT3 even with fast drivers. This car really goes above and beyond on brake and engine cooling.
The brake cooling is good, but you'll still run into issues after 25-30 minutes hard lapping if you are low on pad. There are ceramic heat absorber rings (someone else who knows more want to weigh in on what these things are?) inside the caliper that crack when you overheat your brakes.

It's the outside pad that takes the abuse with the stock setup.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:23 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Love the title

Taper means pad/caliper flexing or fluid overheating usually doesn't it?

On my 997 I overheat stock pads, but that hasnt led to taper in my experience. I went to PFCs and will see how that works this weekend
Old 06-01-2015, 04:08 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

The Brembo type V Endurance rotor and Pad setup has proven to be a great alternative. The Brembo Racing type V face type was also designed to have lower pad and disc wear for certain long distance. This is the prefect way to if youre trying get the most life out of brakes on a street/HPDE type of car.
Attached Images   

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series

Last edited by gmgracing; 06-01-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Interesting thread. For those who care about these type s of things... the 997 380mm brake setup has the following piston sizes:
Fronts: 28mm, 30mm, 32mm
Rears: All 34mm (these are 350mm rotors)

I've run PFC 08 and Race Technologies RE10 pads, always with Brembo Type III Rotors (different pattern than shown above with the Type V) and I get nearly no taper, with slightly higher outside pad wear. I flip pads after every 2 weekends and they wear very evenly. I get very long life out of this setup. Many, many track days. I'm not as fast as Joe but not that slow either :-) I do prefer the Race Technologies RE10 pads over the PFC. The pad wear rate is about the same as the 08, the rotor wear is less, and this was validated with the temps in the rotor with rotor temp paint. Brake feel is very good, slightly more bite than the 08 and I feel better modulation. Very confidence inspiring.

I will probably try the type V next time I replace rings.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Taper Tantrum (Brake wear)

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Interesting thread. For those who care about these type s of things... the 997 380mm brake setup has the following piston sizes:
Fronts: 28mm, 30mm, 32mm
Rears: All 34mm (these are 350mm rotors)

I've run PFC 08 and Race Technologies RE10 pads, always with Brembo Type III Rotors (different pattern than shown above with the Type V) and I get nearly no taper, with slightly higher outside pad wear. I flip pads after every 2 weekends and they wear very evenly. I get very long life out of this setup. Many, many track days. I'm not as fast as Joe but not that slow either :-) I do prefer the Race Technologies RE10 pads over the PFC. The pad wear rate is about the same as the 08, the rotor wear is less, and this was validated with the temps in the rotor with rotor temp paint. Brake feel is very good, slightly more bite than the 08 and I feel better modulation. Very confidence inspiring.

I will probably try the type V next time I replace rings.
You're not as fast because you have a slower car, man!

We are all very envious that you can flip pads so easily with your car. It's a major pita with the new car having center locks and closed calipers.

I think pad tapering is dependent of the type of pads used. My buddy with a 997.2 GT3 didn't have problems with tapering using pfc08
Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Well, the delta is more than it should be :-) There is some room (lots?) for closing that gap!

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You're not as fast because you have a slower car, man!

Quick Reply: Taper Tantrum (Brake wear)