Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:58 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

*UPDATE*

After finding inconsistent solenoid polarity wiring and control on the 997, Cayman GTS, and Caymang GT4, I think it would be easier to just switch all of the systems over to "universal" 4-wire wiring. This basically brings all 4 solenoid wires out to the relay board so it completely independently powers the solenoid when in "quiet" mode, and simply connects the solenoid to the OEM harness when in "PSE control" mode.

I just finished converting my GT3 over to the "universal" 4-wire wiring today, and confirmed it works as expected. This should work for any solenoid-based exhaust system. The wiring is a little more complicated, but it should be more robust.

Downside is you have to run 4 wires from the solenoid back into the cabin (instead of 2). I found some nice flexible 4-conductor cable that I recommend here:

22 Gauge 4 Conductor Stranded Copper Alarm Wire Security Cable 50' Feet Black - - Amazon.com 22 Gauge 4 Conductor Stranded Copper Alarm Wire Security Cable 50' Feet Black - - Amazon.com

And here are some nice 4-wire connectors pre-crimped (get from this vendor in particular since quality can vary):

Amazon.com: CrazyEve 5 Sets 4 Pin Car Waterproof Electrical Connector Plug with Wire Electrical Wire Cable Connector Plug Car Motorcycle truck: Automotive Amazon.com: CrazyEve 5 Sets 4 Pin Car Waterproof Electrical Connector Plug with Wire Electrical Wire Cable Connector Plug Car Motorcycle truck: Automotive

You'll also want this to modify to get the 12V source for the relays:

Amazon.com: NOCO GC020 12V 2-Way Splitter: Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO GC020 12V 2-Way Splitter: Automotive

And this for powering the board over USB now instead of from the 12V barrel plug:

Amazon.com: AUKEY Car Charger with 4.8A Dual USB Port for iPhone 6S 5SE, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and more (Small but Powerful) - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: AUKEY Car Charger with 4.8A Dual USB Port for iPhone 6S 5SE, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and more (Small but Powerful) - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

IMPORTANT: And for the "universal" wiring, this is the correct firmware (this firmware will NOT work on any of the 2-wire versions): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e_4wire_v2.zip

Here is the preliminary universal wiring description:

Some pictures of my install:

Solenoid harness:

Power harness:

Enclosure (tight fit with all those wires!):

Installed (waiting for the "smoked translucent" enclosure to arrive):

Last edited by Mech33; 10-02-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 PM
sbel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much, Mech33! This way it is universal indeed! No need to think about proper polarity and which side is being switched by the ECM (V+ or V-) - one just need to extend all 4 wires AS IS.

This way you also get a 5V that can be used to power GoPros and etc. with only one cigarette lighter plug being used!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sbel
Thank you very much, Mech33! This way it is universal indeed! No need to think about proper polarity and which side is being switched by the ECM (V+ or V-) - one just need to extend all 4 wires AS IS.

This way you also get a 5V that can be used to power GoPros and etc. with only one cigarette lighter plug being used!
Indeed! Thanks for the suggestion to look again at this.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Oaktown
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mech33 So we get to eliminate adding The Vin pin and jumper wire when going with updated "universal" design?
Building now for Laguna track 90 dB day Tuesday. 2016 991 GT3.
Bought all parts for 2-wire design, before updated universal 4-wire came out.
Thank you and ortho jo and all others contributing for all of this.
Hopefully avoid the dreaded meatball sound flag next outing.
Turnaway pipes next!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:10 AM
krobertson
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed a little antenna connector on the GPS board. Have you checked how good the signal is around the track? Curious if it would help at all with accuracy or anything.

I finally have mine assembled, but not in the car yet. Hoping to have it all ready and some downpipes before a track day next week.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Oaktown
Mech33 So we get to eliminate adding The Vin pin and jumper wire when going with updated "universal" design?
Building now for Laguna track 90 dB day Tuesday. 2016 991 GT3.
Bought all parts for 2-wire design, before updated universal 4-wire came out.
Thank you and ortho jo and all others contributing for all of this.
Hopefully avoid the dreaded meatball sound flag next outing.
Turnaway pipes next!
Correct. Sorry I missed this thread getting bumped!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by krobertson
I noticed a little antenna connector on the GPS board. Have you checked how good the signal is around the track? Curious if it would help at all with accuracy or anything.

I finally have mine assembled, but not in the car yet. Hoping to have it all ready and some downpipes before a track day next week.
I originally intended to use an external GPS antenna (you need an adapter to get down to the size for the board), but the built-in antenna has been just fine on track so I deemed it not worth the trouble for even more wires and things.

Main advantage would be building the box into some hidden area of the car, and then just routing the antenna out somewhere... feel free to experiment.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 PM
krobertson
Advanced

I'll see. I'm having to rebuild my connector...

Have others found the crimp connectors lacking in durability? When I was putting mine in last week, the other end got snagged a little and I got just enough tension on it to pull out one of the wires. I was out of the male ends, since went through all of them getting the hang for crimping them.

I think the one that came out was one of the first ones I did, since got the hang of it after that. But thinking of trying to apply a little bit of solder and some hot glue as well just to make it a little tougher.

Oh, and the "reach your right hand this way and left hand that way" is understatement. That thing is a PITA.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:16 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by krobertson
I'll see. I'm having to rebuild my connector...

Have others found the crimp connectors lacking in durability? When I was putting mine in last week, the other end got snagged a little and I got just enough tension on it to pull out one of the wires. I was out of the male ends, since went through all of them getting the hang for crimping them.

I think the one that came out was one of the first ones I did, since got the hang of it after that. But thinking of trying to apply a little bit of solder and some hot glue as well just to make it a little tougher.

Oh, and the "reach your right hand this way and left hand that way" is understatement. That thing is a PITA.
I never trust the crimps alone, so I use solder when I make the wire connections by hand. But lately I've resorted to buying some of the harnesses pre-made from some of the higher quality vendors on Amazon (like the one I posted for the 4-wire below). Those seem pretty robust. Here are the 2-wire versions:

https://www.amazon.com/Diageng-Water.../dp/B00BYNKUSE

Last edited by Mech33; 06-02-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:49 PM
krobertson
Advanced

I got the premade waterproof connectors, but the solenoid connection was the one that came apart on me. Rebuilt it stronger and with less slack so it wouldn't get snagged on anything. Also put solder on the wire connection and some hot glue by the wire insulation.

Probably going to look at making a universal connector too.

One tip for getting a connector off the solenoid... I took the tail lights out, since they were just sitting there loose anyway. But saw there is a decent gap that goes straight towards the solenoid connector. So I used a long flathead screw driver to press in the bar on the connector and my left hand to then pull it off.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Cohiba Style
1st Gear

Absolutely amazing! I haven't read the full thread, but your idea is great and the implementation and design are even cooler!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9390...e-control.html
Old 06-13-2016, 12:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

this thing WORKS
thank mech33 for designing it, doborder for making mine and orthojoe for installing it in my car.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
this thing WORKS
thank mech33 for designing it, doborder for making mine and orthojoe for installing it in my car.

I like how everyone had one on their car but me at Laguna this weekend. At least I get to make "had to lift" excuses about my laps.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:21 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33

I like how everyone had one on their car but me at Laguna this weekend. At least I get to make "had to lift" excuses about my laps.
Then get working on this man!!! I've gotten so many request to build this that I finally have to say, I officially retired from building it...lol

Quick Reply: How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks