Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Knowing the exacting quality of Eddie's seat covers, he only accepts the very best homebrew products. Sure this is the one to wait for
Old 11-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Here's an early version of the one I'm making for Ed. It's hardware and software compatible with the original, but uses a custom pcb board with only the components needed, which cuts down on costs and allows it all to fit in a box about 2.5 inches square. Happy to make the board design and details available, though it includes surface mounted parts, so only hardcore DIYers need apply.

Ed liked the idea of an external GPS antenna rather than putting the box out in the open, and I have to say the antenna wart thing picks up the signal surprisingly well even just sitting in the cabin, so there doesn't seem to be a need to put it on the roof as I originally thought.

Although the original software works on this version, I started from scratch (with different GPS library) because I found the Adafruit library and examples hard to work with (hats off the Mech33 for making it work!), and really wanted to program in the ability to select quiet zones on the fly for whatever track he ends up on. Will post that up too once I'm happy with it.

I'm curious if one sound booth is the norm, or if many tracks have 2 or more sensors? At some point, it's probably not worth doing this if you have to run most of the track in quiet mode anyway, but trying to figure out if it's worth the complexity to deal with multiple quiet zones, especially if it has an always-quiet and always-loud option?
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Here's an early version of the one I'm making for Ed. It's hardware and software compatible with the original, but uses a custom pcb board with only the components needed, which cuts down on costs and allows it all to fit in a box about 2.5 inches square. Happy to make the board design and details available, though it includes surface mounted parts, so only hardcore DIYers need apply.

Ed liked the idea of an external GPS antenna rather than putting the box out in the open, and I have to say the antenna wart thing picks up the signal surprisingly well even just sitting in the cabin, so there doesn't seem to be a need to put it on the roof as I originally thought.

Although the original software works on this version, I started from scratch (with different GPS library) because I found the Adafruit library and examples hard to work with (hats off the Mech33 for making it work!), and really wanted to program in the ability to select quiet zones on the fly for whatever track he ends up on. Will post that up too once I'm happy with it.

I'm curious if one sound booth is the norm, or if many tracks have 2 or more sensors? At some point, it's probably not worth doing this if you have to run most of the track in quiet mode anyway, but trying to figure out if it's worth the complexity to deal with multiple quiet zones, especially if it has an always-quiet and always-loud option?
Nice work Tom! Can you post some pictures of the assembled board?

I had toyed with the idea of making a custom PCB to miniaturize everything, but the real benefit would be making a completely ready to go box that folks could just buy, which would then entail an entire product design really (building the PCBs, building an enclosure, getting custom cables made, etc.). Fun project, but just not in my available time budget at the moment...

Are you planning on making runs of the PCBs and selling them, or perhaps transferring the effort to a company interested in making them?

I had planned to update the firmware to include sound booth locations for all of the local bay area tracks, but realistically Laguna Seca is the main challenge. This database could be expanded as large as one would like, with a relatively simple determination of location of the device at initial GPS lock, at which point it could pull the closest track's sound booth coordinates for that session's use.

The general ability to program in new locations by walking a track and clicking a button is a cool idea, though some work to make sure you can't accidentally do that when handling the device in normal use is probably needed.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Nice work Tom! Can you post some pictures of the assembled board?

I had toyed with the idea of making a custom PCB to miniaturize everything, but the real benefit would be making a completely ready to go box that folks could just buy, which would then entail an entire product design really (building the PCBs, building an enclosure, getting custom cables made, etc.). Fun project, but just not in my available time budget at the moment...

Are you planning on making runs of the PCBs and selling them, or perhaps transferring the effort to a company interested in making them?

I had planned to update the firmware to include sound booth locations for all of the local bay area tracks, but realistically Laguna Seca is the main challenge. This database could be expanded as large as one would like, with a relatively simple determination of location of the device at initial GPS lock, at which point it could pull the closest track's sound booth coordinates for that session's use.

The general ability to program in new locations by walking a track and clicking a button is a cool idea, though some work to make sure you can't accidentally do that when handling the device in normal use is probably needed.
I'm still making changes to the board but will post it "as is" shortly. I am modifying it here and there to correct a few mistakes and make the panel inputs/outputs more logical. It's probably more work than it's worth but a fun project. As for what do when I'm done, I haven't really thought that far ahead. I was just making one for Ed and got a little carried away...

I'm still experimenting with the button logistics. One way is how you said, i.e., press a button at a specific location and create a quiet zone radius around that point. The down side to that is having a fixed radius around the point. I actually have a pot on the board so you could increase/decrease the size of the quiet zone, but then thought of another approach where you just hold the button down on the portion of the track where you want the car to be quiet. After you do that, the car would know to go quiet when you pass through that portion of the track. Trying to perfect that now...

Funny you mention protecting the button. Ed and I were talking about that yesterday. We thought about adding a jeopardy-style button on a plug-in cord, so you could unplug when not in use, but that seemed unnecessarily complicated. Ed's idea was to just put a little clip on the button so it can't go down. I'm thinking I can find some tactile switches that will make it highly unlikely they'd get depressed unintentionally... We'll see...
Old 11-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

I'm still making changes to the board but will post it "as is" shortly. I am modifying it here and there to correct a few mistakes and make the panel inputs/outputs more logical. It's probably more work than it's worth but a fun project. As for what do when I'm done, I haven't really thought that far ahead. I was just making one for Ed and got a little carried away...

I'm still experimenting with the button logistics. One way is how you said, i.e., press a button at a specific location and create a quiet zone radius around that point. The down side to that is having a fixed radius around the point. I actually have a pot on the board so you could increase/decrease the size of the quiet zone, but then thought of another approach where you just hold the button down on the portion of the track where you want the car to be quiet. After you do that, the car would know to go quiet when you pass through that portion of the track. Trying to perfect that now...

Funny you mention protecting the button. Ed and I were talking about that yesterday. We thought about adding a jeopardy-style button on a plug-in cord, so you could unplug when not in use, but that seemed unnecessarily complicated. Ed's idea was to just put a little clip on the button so it can't go down. I'm thinking I can find some tactile switches that will make it highly unlikely they'd get depressed unintentionally... We'll see...
Sounds like fun. And how do I know when the button programming worked? When I pass (or fail) sound at the track ? Lots of little user interaction bits to work out...

I'd definitely add a nice big bright LED that indicates "quiet mode" if you've got space.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:52 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Sounds like fun. And how do I know when the button programming worked? When I pass (or fail) sound at the track ? Lots of little user interaction bits to work out...

I'd definitely add a nice big bright LED that indicates "quiet mode" if you've got space.
I can't think of a good way to avoid that big moment of truth when you find out if it's quiet enough where it needs to be. Definitely a plus not to be the first on a track with this if you can avoid it....

The Red LED in the picture is tied directly to the relay's control line, so it's on when the car is quiet, though it gets washed out in the sun -- need to fix that...
Old 11-11-2016, 07:57 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

So I was at Laguna last sunday getting on the gas at T5 around 5k rpm and still didn't get flagged. A few times i was 6k plus. Sport button off but in a bit of traffic. No meatball. 92db day. So my question is when is it really too loud? On if the HOD guys said sunny days the sound seems to not trip the meter as badly as when it's cold / overcast.

I still want a box so I can go ***** out.

How much to build me a box? I'll pay you and buy materials.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Here's a picture inside the box. The wires are mostly there to bypass mistakes and/or bad footprints on the board. My hope is to eliminate all of the wiring (other than the GPS antenna jumper) on the next iteration. Also posting a link to the board itself, which I shared via OSH.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/4NVbYN15
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2016, 11:28 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn!!!!!
Old 11-14-2016, 01:46 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Here's a picture inside the box. The wires are mostly there to bypass mistakes and/or bad footprints on the board. My hope is to eliminate all of the wiring (other than the GPS antenna jumper) on the next iteration. Also posting a link to the board itself, which I shared via OSH.

Looks like fun!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I had an interesting thought; connect this (wirelessly) to a TPC-Racing DSC and you could pre-adjust your PASM dampers on a turn-by-turn basis!

probably overkill for most (if not all) of us, but would be interesting customization for a professional race team!

Happy Holidays
Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 AM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Tom,

Looks real interesting and I would like to get one. Will you make it available to others ?
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:36 AM
QShip
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, I'm interested in your solution as well. Any updates?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM
saceone
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have a DIY link that shows how to manually close the valves on the 991 gt3 ?
Old 04-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Just a quick follow up on this new GPS based exhaust valve controller

I was at the track this week and this mini sized controller worked like a charm!!
It has a number of programmable features ( none of which I needed to use)
It was so easy I didn't even have to turn it on .. Had it all plugged in before I left to the track and WOW it worked like a charm !! It's smaller than a cigarette box
I placed it on top of the smokers package console cover, but that was just to see the lights were working and to show it off a little
Hi Five Tom !! Great job !
I am lovin' it

Quick Reply: How-to: building a GPS-based PSE valve controller for passing track sound checks