Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 277 Posts

Nice video! Any mods done to your car? Curious as the slight squeel from the brakes would indicate at least track pads.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
Nice video! Any mods done to your car? Curious as the slight squeel from the brakes would indicate at least track pads.
Thanks Mike.

Only mod is the Sharkwerks bypass. Rest is all stock. I didn't push the brakes hard enough to get to ABS. I'd say 85-90% max capability. They squeaked a little bit here/there, but not always. May be dependent on temp.

I was really impressed with the car. Light years ahead of the 997.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Thanks Peter. And he was definitely sliding in places where I was not. My tires were relatively quieter. I'll post the video later on tonight where he passed me and was gone after half a lap. I moved the camera to the back window which gives a better view of the RPM gauge and cockpit. I didn't get much slide out of the car where he did. I just know where my thresholds/comfort levels are and 8/10ths are good enough for me to have a great time with friends.

I also stopped timing myself on the track. Over the years I found myself chasing a tenth of a second here / there. You know when you hit a corner right. You know when you're in the grove and have a good lap. And just when you think you did great, another car goes by you like you were standing still. I just love the mechanics, the sound, the feel of the car.... amazing.
After mucking with Harry's lap timer every session I finally got it working the last 2 sessions. I need to time myself or I fall asleep behind the wheel.

Thanks Mike.

Only mod is the Sharkwerks bypass. Rest is all stock. I didn't push the brakes hard enough to get to ABS. I'd say 85-90% max capability. They squeaked a little bit here/there, but not always. May be dependent on temp.

Cant wait to drive one!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike.

Impressive on stock pads, and the car sounds fantastic! Any issues running in the heat there in Florida? The GT3s at COTA this weekend seemed unaffected, I wish I could say the same for my Z06.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
After mucking with Harry's lap timer every session I finally got it working the last 2 sessions. I need to time myself or I fall asleep behind the wheel.

Cant wait to drive one!
I've had intermittent results with Harry's on my Galaxy S5 with a the Quartz Bluetooth 10hz GPS module. My buddy Jim setup the new SmartyCam HD rev 2 and the quality of the video and overlay information was excellent. We set it up on Friday night and it worked really well.

You will be very impressed with the car.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

And it was 92F! My aircooled was running a little hot due to added AC but GT3's never have been affected by temp.s
Old 04-27-2015, 11:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

We are going to add a GoPro wifi camera and try again to see if it all works with 2 camera's one being the I phone, so we can record drivers input.
Probably going to add hard wired Racelogic VBox in the RS again.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Cant wait to drive one!
Originally Posted by electron mike
Impressive on stock pads, and the car sounds fantastic! Any issues running in the heat there in Florida? The GT3s at COTA this weekend seemed unaffected, I wish I could say the same for my Z06.
No heat or performance issues at all.

Funny you mention the Z06. My friend who was with me with his Z06 is a good driver, pushed his Z06, would get away from me on the straights, I'd get him in the brake zones, but after 23 minutes, he would be done. Engine overheats and power steering overheats as well. I just kept going around and didn't think once about whether the GT3 would perform.

As the airflow goes over the back of the Z06, it must cause some non-laminar airflow and low pressure behind the tail lights. At this last event, the decals melted off, his registration tag was discolored and the frames for his tail lights melted (literally) as well. When behind him on the front straight, I could see the heat waves all around the back of the car. I'll try to post some pics/video of that, if it's visible. After he parked, he'd have to open the hood and put a giant fan in front of the car to bring down the temp. Crazy!!

I think the GT3 is a race car that was converted into a production vehicle, whereas the Vettes are street cars that are modified into race cars. Nice looking cars, but I can't imagine having to mod a brand new car just to keep it from shutting down during a 30 minute session in 90 degree ambient temp air.

Oh, and the $17 windshield wiper mod was awesome. Worked like a charm.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Mass_K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going down the back straight the buffeting was so bad this weekend that I was putting hand my out the window right where you have the windshield wiper mod just to deflect the wind. LOL. The buffeting really hurts at that speed, and it also made it visibly a little difficult to see as it continuously shook my head.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mass_K
Going down the back straight the buffeting was so bad this weekend that I was putting hand my out the window right where you have the windshield wiper mod just to deflect the wind. LOL. The buffeting really hurts at that speed, and it also made it visibly a little difficult to see as it continuously shook my head.
Was horrible and like yourself, my vision was seriously affected. The wiper install takes 2 mins and removal the same. Anything there that breaks apart the flow helps. The double sided sticky tape (3m heavy duty) held up very well.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Mass_K
Advanced

Was horrible and like yourself, my vision was seriously affected. The wiper install takes 2 mins and removal the same. Anything there that breaks apart the flow helps. The double sided sticky tape (3m heavy duty) held up very well.
Good to know, can you find the double sided tape at any hardware store?

If you have any more video of this weekend please post
Old 04-27-2015, 01:29 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mass_K
Good to know, can you find the double sided tape at any hardware store?

If you have any more video of this weekend please post
Yep... This is what I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B009NP1JQC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430152012&sr=8-2&keywords=Scotch+414 http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-Extreme-Mounting/dp/B009NP1JQC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430152012&sr=8-2&keywords=Scotch+414

And I have lots more. What run group were you in? I was in Blue. I'll post some up later tonight with that Z06 leaving me behind (temporarily).
Old 04-27-2015, 01:49 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

No heat or performance issues at all.

Funny you mention the Z06. My friend who was with me with his Z06 is a good driver, pushed his Z06, would get away from me on the straights, I'd get him in the brake zones, but after 23 minutes, he would be done. Engine overheats and power steering overheats as well. I just kept going around and didn't think once about whether the GT3 would perform.

As the airflow goes over the back of the Z06, it must cause some non-laminar airflow and low pressure behind the tail lights. At this last event, the decals melted off, his registration tag was discolored and the frames for his tail lights melted (literally) as well. When behind him on the front straight, I could see the heat waves all around the back of the car. I'll try to post some pics/video of that, if it's visible. After he parked, he'd have to open the hood and put a giant fan in front of the car to bring down the temp. Crazy!!

I think the GT3 is a race car that was converted into a production vehicle, whereas the Vettes are street cars that are modified into race cars. Nice looking cars, but I can't imagine having to mod a brand new car just to keep it from shutting down during a 30 minute session in 90 degree ambient temp air.

Good to hear the GT3s are much more robust. I talked to one GT3 owner at COTA this weekend and he echoed the same thing - no issues. I just have too many issues with my Z06, hopefully I can get a 2016 GT3 allocation and spend more time driving than in the pits fixing the car and cooling it off!

I haven't had the melted tail light problem, that's a new one! LOL
Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Mass_K
Advanced

Yep... This is what I used:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC-...rds=Scotch+414

And I have lots more. What run group were you in? I was in Blue. I'll post some up later tonight with that Z06 leaving me behind (temporarily).
Thanks I will definitely order some of that and try the windshield wiper mod next time.
I was blue group.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Another observation that I made is that my left leg was doing the brunt of the work under heavy breaking. With regular seat belts, I found that my left leg was constantly stiff and pushing up against the dead peddle.

I'm getting my Cantrell Motorsport roll bar tomorrow (finally - 11 days shipping to FL via YRC). I also ordered a left hand and right hand sub bar mounts from him (http://cantrellmotorsport.com/produc...ub-belt-mount/. I'm going to document the installation of the rollbar and the sub bar. Shouldn't be too bad.

Quick Reply: Ready for Sebring