Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMG prep for COTA!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great driving David! COTA is an amazing track that every true track junkie should put on their bucket list. The surface is so smooth (compared to other TX tracks) and the layout provides opportunities for speed and skill to be put on display.

Side note, I heard a GT3 hit a wall or something? Was is due to track conditions?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:09 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 277 Posts

Nice driving, your car sounded great from the pits going down the front straight! I was jealous of you GT3 guys, I spent more time watching at COTA this weekend while my Z06 cooled off than I did out on track!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Side note, I heard a GT3 hit a wall or something? Was is due to track conditions?[/QUOTE]

Yes, a 991 GT3 driver did back into the wall off turn 4. It was dry by then, so couldn't blame it on a wet track. My coach warned me about that turn. He's a local and he said they "should just put a target right there because it happens so often." Apparently the flag station guys were very concerned about the particular person's line and driving style, i.e. very aggressive. We lost over an hour of driving time while they fixed the wall, so they starting laying down the black flag more often on Sunday.

here are pics of the car before the crash:

http://www.bleasdellphotography.com/...oup/Friday/AM/

I like graphics, but I have to say I'm not a fan. To each his own.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:28 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Yes, the track surface is great. Reminded me of the smooth surface at Thermal Club, which is also new. Every thing about the place was sweet, with great garages with bathrooms, the elevation change, the beautiful graphics around the track, the condition of the areas just off the track (no ditches like Streets of Willow Springs!), the excellent food in the cafe (yes a cafe!), the cool viewing areas like the bridge over turns 3 and 4, and the huge tower overlooking the entire track.

I want a few more days there with a new set of tires so I could work on the early turns. My rears were getting really greasy, so could not push it very hard. Next time I'll take an extra set.

Thanks for the comments about the exhaust. It was really cool trailing another GT3 with a GMG exhaust. It must of sounded good while we raced down the front straight. Its almost a tunnel with the grand stands on both sides. My ears are still ringing!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by electron mike
Nice driving, your car sounded great from the pits going down the front straight! I was jealous of you GT3 guys, I spent more time watching at COTA this weekend while my Z06 cooled off than I did out on track!
Time for you to get a GT3!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Time for you to get a GT3!
Agreed! I have deposits down for a 2016 GT3 and GT4, hopefully I will get an allocation!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:13 PM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

David,
It was great meeting you and some of the other GT3 owners at the track. Being from Texas and having gone to many of the races there, it was extra special for me to get to join you guys, share a garage, and most importantly some track time. The whole event was really top notch. As you may remember, I was having engine trouble on Friday but was able to fix it Saturday back in Houston and get back to the track for a full day on Sunday. My best time came on the last session of the last day 2:53.9.... not terrible but not great either. That track needs horsepower! I was actually in the process of buying a GT3 from another Rennlist member and having it shipped down to Houston over the weekend and couldn't be happier with the purchase! (I didn't want to be the guy in a Miata telling everyone how he wishes he had his GT3 there.... I could just see the eyes rolling...) Anyways, really looking forward to getting back out to COTA in my first Porsche!

Glad Texas treated you well and hope to have y'all back soon!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Tre
Racer

Side note, I heard a GT3 hit a wall or something? Was is due to track conditions?
Yes, a 991 GT3 driver did back into the wall off turn 4. It was dry by then, so couldn't blame it on a wet track. My coach warned me about that turn. He's a local and he said they "should just put a target right there because it happens so often." Apparently the flag station guys were very concerned about the particular person's line and driving style, i.e. very aggressive. We lost over an hour of driving time while they fixed the wall, so they starting laying down the black flag more often on Sunday.
Thanks for the details. Unfortunately the "S"s tend to catch people with too much speed and making them overcorrect which sends them into the wall. The good news is that there are big runoffs throughout the circuit which makes most of the track very forgiving.
As for SV, it's a great organization. I used to drive many of their events while I lived in Vegas and after Redline Time Attack faded away. It's great to see SV add COTA to the schedule and I'll have to definitely attempt to get their next event on my calendar IF I can get an RS allocation!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:34 PM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi David!

That's so cool that you got a lap with my car. The track was a hoot, the weekend was like being on an automobile version of a crack/cocaine binge weekend with the 3 days of driving. The RS is pretty tweaked: 1) the suspension (Ohlins, Swift springs, ERP/Tarett everything) and 2) the Hoosiers makes it easy to go fast through 3-6.

Seeing you behind me made me faster Loved being your rabbit!

Here's a Harry's video of a lap on Sunday, I'm chasing Curt from Washington state in a 997.2 GT3 RS with a GMG exhaust, tweeted suspension and Hoosers.
David
Can't wait to drive there again!

- curt
Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 PM
ad_lib
Track Day

David,

Was good meeting you over the weekend, had a blast! Hopefully next year I'll be able to bring my GT3 but caning around COTA in my Evo and having a full cage made the whole thing ever so slightly less nerve wracking.

-B
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM
ad_lib
Track Day

"The track was a hoot, the weekend was like being on an automobile version of a crack/cocaine binge weekend with the 3 days of driving."

OMG this is almost EXACTLY how I described COTA to my buddy when I got home!
Old 04-29-2015, 08:06 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

David -
What video setup were you using for your video you posted? I'm in the market and not sure what to do...all i have right now is the AIM SOLO DL....the smartycam HD is $1k...i'm planning on transporting out to COTA some time soon....looks like great track. Thx, Richard
Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CARFANATICA
David -
What video setup were you using for your video you posted? I'm in the market and not sure what to do...all i have right now is the AIM SOLO DL....the smartycam HD is $1k...i'm planning on transporting out to COTA some time soon....looks like great track. Thx, Richard
Richard,

Its very simple, Harry's Lap Timer app on an iPhone 6 mounted on my dash. I also use a external GPS from Dual. I also have an AIM Solo and noted my super cheap iPhone and external GPS setup was basically identical to the AIMs lap times. So its very accurate.
I was trying to mount a GoPro on my new GMG cage in the back but the mount I bought wasn't very good (and I'm not very mechanical!), so I went with the really simple iPhone set up). I've been checking out the Smarty Cam, but not really sure I want to shell out the 1K.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:56 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curtsm
Hi David!

That's so cool that you got a lap with my car. The track was a hoot, the weekend was like being on an automobile version of a crack/cocaine binge weekend with the 3 days of driving. The RS is pretty tweaked: 1) the suspension (Ohlins, Swift springs, ERP/Tarett everything) and 2) the Hoosiers makes it easy to go fast through 3-6.

Seeing you behind me made me faster Loved being your rabbit!

Can't wait to drive there again!

- curt
Thanks for making me feel a little better about not keeping up with you thru the S's!
I was looking at Ridge Motorsport Park. Looks like they have a 2 day Hooked on Driving event there the end of September. Maybe I'll make a jaunt up there to participate and visit my brother in Shelton.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:46 AM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Richard,

Its very simple, Harry's Lap Timer app on an iPhone 6 mounted on my dash. I also use a external GPS from Dual. I also have an AIM Solo and noted my super cheap iPhone and external GPS setup was basically identical to the AIMs lap times. So its very accurate.
I was trying to mount a GoPro on my new GMG cage in the back but the mount I bought wasn't very good (and I'm not very mechanical!), so I went with the really simple iPhone set up). I've been checking out the Smarty Cam, but not really sure I want to shell out the 1K.
Thanks! I may bite the bullet and buy the smartycam to get the throttle, braking, and direct plug/in to ECU - just expensive. Come over to My home track some time - Road ATL - only 2.5 mile track, but super fun with elevation changes and blind turns. I also just ordered the Crawford custom wing for my 991 GT3...two guys at the track had it last week and besides looking wicked cool, it seriously improved back end stability and lowered lap times...check it out some time...

Quick Reply: GMG prep for COTA!