RS AC and Radio delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:18 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AciDShOrT
Yeah, this has been expressed to me many times. I did unsellable things to my other car too, I guess I should be sad. But, is my car going to be the only one in the US with these options?
That's it brother! It's your car and your money, do what makes you happy. **** what everyone else thinks. My .1RS doesn't have a radio but it does have air con, SoFla heat and humidity.

Originally Posted by rockitman
Why ? If you want a car for the track the majority of the time, buy a used cup car and a trailer. If your a streeter only and delete AC and stereo...lmao.
Come on, the guy wants a street car without air con or radio and he should buy a cup car? Nevertheless, I do agree that there's a threshold but he's far from it.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It literally may be the only one in the US without AC and a Radio, but that certainly wont make it desirable in relation to other cars on the market come time to sell it. Infact, quite the contrary. If you want to save the weight, which is so miniscule, it's not even worth it, but if that's truly your desire, then how about have it delivered with them and have the dealer remove them. That way, you can put them back if/when you decide to sell the car. I don't know where you live, but almost EVERY place in the country has at times weather, even if only during a short part of the year, that makes it unbearable to not have AC. I'm guessing that the days that you can drive a car like an RS, depending on where you live, are limited to begin with. Why limit yourself even further? Also, about the radio...while I too would choose to listen to the symphony sitting over the rear wheels rather than what's coming out of the speakers, I'd rather the option to just have the radio turned off. But if I have a girlfriend, wife or friend in the car and just going for a night out, it'd be nice to cruise with the radio on. I had a 911 with a Radio and A/C delete and while 85% of the time it was fine, 15% of the time, I wish I had one or the other or both.

Can I ask what your purpose of deleting them is for? Is it to save weight? To have a uniquely optioned vehicle? To simplify the car as truly a unique sports car that would only appeal to the most diehard of enthusiasts? Because Track car? Something else? I'm just really curious of what you hope to accomplish by omitting them.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:25 PM
AciDShOrT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCCB as well. And the Li Battery.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 PM
AciDShOrT
Instructor

I am omitting them because its an option and I would like to execute that option. I also had Ferrari do a radio delete on my Speciale because it was available in Europe. Reason for that was I found it stupid to have the radio in my previous Scuderia because 1) never listened to it when driving that car 2) (the real reason) I couldn't figure out how to use the darn thing.

My reasoning is not to have a uniquely optioned car. Though, I had having that antenna on the top of the car, and it will be nice to have that clean line. I guess I have no concern for resale of the car, if someone doesn't want it someone else will.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd definitely keep AC. Radio can be deleted without as much issue at resale. My ideal RS would have AC with radio delete as long as there was an aux input. However, I don't think you can have an aux input without the radio.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by AciDShOrT
I am omitting them because its an option and I would like to execute that option. I also had Ferrari do a radio delete on my Speciale because it was available in Europe. Reason for that was I found it stupid to have the radio in my previous Scuderia because 1) never listened to it when driving that car 2) (the real reason) I couldn't figure out how to use the darn thing.

My reasoning is not to have a uniquely optioned car. Though, I had having that antenna on the top of the car, and it will be nice to have that clean line. I guess I have no concern for resale of the car, if someone doesn't want it someone else will.
I had that same radio in my 599. I couldn't figure it out either. The dealer told me to get a 14 year old to figure it out. Lol.

It's your car get it however you want.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:48 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
That's it brother! It's your car and your money, do what makes you happy. **** what everyone else thinks. My .1RS doesn't have a radio but it does have air con, SoFla heat and humidity.

Come on, the guy wants a street car without air con or radio and he should buy a cup car? Nevertheless, I do agree that there's a threshold but he's far from it.

My point is, will you race a 991 RS ? I don't think there is such a class. Sounds like the most miles on the car will be street miles, therefore AC and radio delete seems kind of silly...but that is just me.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:50 PM
AciDShOrT
Instructor

Probably won't race it. If I was gonna race I'd get a cup car.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

really it's about the pursuit of excellence.
it's a small option, but for me a large one knowing that the car is at the best level it can be, even if the difference is too miniscule to feel.

apart from that, the screen in the car will look dated in 5 years, and ruin the look of the entire car (for me).
look at a 997.1 or 996 screen now, such an eyesore!
no screen will be fantastic in 20 years time, and if the owner doesn't miss it as he has other comfort cars to drive when in need of comfort, then why not indulge?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:10 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
really it's about the pursuit of excellence.
it's a small option, but for me a large one knowing that the car is at the best level it can be, even if the difference is too miniscule to feel.

apart from that, the screen in the car will look dated in 5 years, and ruin the look of the entire car (for me).
look at a 997.1 or 996 screen now, such an eyesore!
no screen will be fantastic in 20 years time, and if the owner doesn't miss it as he has other comfort cars to drive when in need of comfort, then why not indulge?
For the record, the 996 GT3 had no screen...just a POS underpowered cd/ radio.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

No radio. Get ac. Need on grid and after runs. Ok it's hot in the desert!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:02 AM
KMKCMT
Rennlist Member

Get the AC....what's your decision after all this sage advice!?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:20 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
For the record, the 996 GT3 had no screen...just a POS underpowered cd/ radio.
true - sorry i was talking about all models in general, including carreras.

even that crap cd/radio in 996c4s for example, looks better than the equivalent car with screen.

i have an old '82 merc with the original becker cassette player.
it now chews up the tapes, but i won't replace it with new one as will wreck the whole look of the car.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:59 AM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Got to do a DE with an Indy Car driver in the right seat. It was 90 and my headset battery died. We did the whole day windows up, air con on. Turned fastest laps of the day and beat my personal best on a track I've been instructing on for 30 years. Might have considered AC delete on the 6 3 or the 7 RS, but seems out of character on the 991 RS.

I'm getting the radio upgrades including Sirius for traffic reports before I trailer off the track.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:19 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,282 Posts

I will not buy your car if you get no AC...

Quick Reply: RS AC and Radio delete