Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to buy open trailer , what options i have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015 | 06:40 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pelo911
thank you very much
a lot of info

i will need also a car to tow it
what is the tow capability i will need?

i have a sedan (leased) BMW 335i
lease about to end soon , so anyway i need to look for new car
i thought about M3 , but i guess i will need SUV or Truck instead
Mooty is right. Biggest tow vehicle.
Towed featherlight with expedition. Tried towing enclosed with same. Saw G-d on I95 and upgraded to F250 king ranch with reese load distribution/sway control before next track event.

And get rennline tow hooks.
Old 04-18-2015 | 07:36 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Another vote for Trailex. Have towed many thousands of miles with mine ( about 40,000). Assume it will fit my 991RS when it arrives

Old 04-18-2015 | 07:39 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Cayenne V8 is very well capable of towing, by the way. rated at over 7,000b, and twice a year I tow my wife's SL Canada AZ and back to winter. house Car/trailer 5100 lbs, no problems.
Old 04-18-2015 | 07:50 AM
P2BE
Intermediate

+ Trailex. You can get a good used one or a new one with a tire rack for your tires.

The X3 does NOT have the towing capacity. X5 or the Cayene previously mentioned. You can use a bigger SUV towing an open trailer, I would not tow an enclosed with an SUV, would have to be a Tahoe/Suburban or truck.
Old 04-18-2015 | 08:15 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have an excellent condition, highly optioned 8045 Trailex for sale in R/L classified. It's located on east coast. PM for further info

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ex-8045-a.html
Old 04-18-2015 | 08:22 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

A lot of people recommend trailex, but there was a guy on here from Austin trying to sell one without any takers. Those trailer are not cheap to ship which is what most on here forget or they only consider their area.

Kwikload up in Sherman has an aluminum rollback trailer that seems to work well for low sitting cars.
Old 04-18-2015 | 12:51 PM
pelo911
Racer

i don't like SUV as a daily driving , it's boring
and heavy.
this is why i thought to replace my 335i with the new M3 or the new C63
i want a car i can enjoy to drive everyday.
but i don't know if they can tow.

other option if i must use SUV , it's Macan
i test drive it and also the Cayenne Turbo
i like the Macan much much more.
Old 04-18-2015 | 01:23 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

and heavy.

If you are planning flatland towing around Houston and pts north you are fine with an SUV- if you plan on coming out west over mountains, then reconsider.

Edit: Macan is too small for towing IMHO- seems like it would be overwhelmed.
Old 04-18-2015 | 08:21 PM
pelo911
Racer

Originally Posted by montoya
If you are planning flatland towing around Houston and pts north you are fine with an SUV- if you plan on coming out west over mountains, then reconsider.

Edit: Macan is too small for towing IMHO- seems like it would be overwhelmed.
for me it's not practical to buy big Truck
only for towing the GT3 (maybe once a month)
i don't like trucks to drive everyday
i like lightweight cars.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/maca...-capacity.html

this guy towing the GT3 with Macan
Old 04-18-2015 | 08:40 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/maca...-capacity.html

this guy towing the GT3 with Macan
Like he said the PDK is a weak point also everything is safe..... until it isn't. All it takes is one incident. Towing is more than just what the factory rates it as and things can get harry very quickly and then you end up with a totaled Macan and GT3 with no factory to blame and no insurer to cover you. You might want to consider simply renting a truck if it's only for once a month. More cost effective, safer, and then you keep your DD a lightweight car. Just a thought but consider that just because you can tow with a smaller vehicle, doesn't mean you should. just my 2 cents
Old 04-18-2015 | 10:26 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

and heavy.

I've see a few people tow their trailers behind X5s, Cayenne, etc. As stated above, it's not just the tow rating. The tow vehicle weight, length, and power play a lot into it. Once it starts raining, semi-trailers start passing you (or vice-versa), you'll be thankful for a good tow vehicle.

Also, for reference, I added this sway-control/weight distribution to the enclosed trailer. Wish I did it for the open trailer as it helps the tow vehicle track better and reduces sway.

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66084.html

The open trailer is the gateway drug. If you're going to tow once a month, I'd consider that enough reason to buy a good tow vehicle, accept that driving around town will be mundane compared to the monthly track events, and leave the 'fun' driving for the track...
Old 04-19-2015 | 01:30 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

If you do decide on the Featherlite 3110, be sure you go with the wider bed (8'6" vs 8'0") I go back and forth towing with the wife's ML-350 diesel (longer trips) and my Chevy 2500 diesel P-up. Actually prefer towing with the ML-plenty of power.02 T
Attached Images   

Last edited by 77tony; 04-19-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2015 | 02:41 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race7117
Like he said the PDK is a weak point also everything is safe..... until it isn't. All it takes is one incident. Towing is more than just what the factory rates it as and things can get harry very quickly and then you end up with a totaled Macan and GT3 with no factory to blame and no insurer to cover you. You might want to consider simply renting a truck if it's only for once a month. More cost effective, safer, and then you keep your DD a lightweight car. Just a thought but consider that just because you can tow with a smaller vehicle, doesn't mean you should. just my 2 cents
+1000 Just rent. An often overlooked option. Find a Commercial Enterprise Rental location. They rent 3/4 ton Chevy and Ford trucks at around $70-80 per day with unlimited or almost unlimited mileage. Add up the cost for a tow vehicle divided by the days you actually tow per year and tell me this isn't a good deal. And yes, Enterprise rents these trucks to TOW! Just try renting 1/2 tons elsewhere like U-Haul and mention towing. They will have you sign a bazillion waivers, charge per mile etc. or flat out refuse to rent to you.
Old 04-19-2015 | 03:00 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
+1000 Just rent. An often overlooked option. Find a Commercial Enterprise Rental location. They rent 3/4 ton Chevy and Ford trucks at around $70-80 per day with unlimited or almost unlimited mileage. Add up the cost for a tow vehicle divided by the days you actually tow per year and tell me this isn't a good deal. And yes, Enterprise rents these trucks to TOW! Just try renting 1/2 tons elsewhere like U-Haul and mention towing. They will have you sign a bazillion waivers, charge per mile etc. or flat out refuse to rent to you.
I did this... once. They were going to put me in a truck that had bald tires. The second truck didn't have a electronic brake controller (was optional on Ram trucks). The third truck had a brake controller, but one of the tires was so out of balance, it just about knocked my fillings out when towing at 70mph for 7 hours. I then decided against renting a potential disaster waiting to happen ever again.
Old 04-20-2015 | 02:55 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^ Who did you rent from? I recommended Enterprise Commercial, not just anyone. All their trucks are new, usually one year old or less.

Quick Reply: want to buy open trailer , what options i have?