Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD Brombacher "Full" Cat-Back Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts
Default FVD Brombacher "Full" Cat-Back Exhaust!

Alright friends, I refused to believe that what we have available was the best we could get for the 991 GT3. I've been very vocal about my distaste for the valves and the hollow sound under 5,000 RPMs from a simple center bypass and the valves forced open.

I started out on a crusade to figure this out. I want a solution that:

- Doesn't have massive drone
- Doesn't lose power
- Can be controlled with the factory button.
- No fluff. Just make it functional and look decent.

I came to the conclusion that the third desire isn't going to happen without software. I'm not sure I want to throw my warranty in the trash, so I conceded the button.

Someone suggested in my crusade post that I reach out to FVD Brombacher.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...r-exhaust.html

I'd heard of them but didn't know the history. I picked up the phone and left a message at the South Florida US importer. About 15 minutes later, I got a call from Rhonda.

I explained what I was hoping to accomplish. Ditch the valves, improve the sound, don't add weight, and be mindful of drone were all requests. Rhonda then explained to me that what I was hoping to get could easily be done. She told me about who their manufacturer was, M&M, and that they are responsible for building the exhausts for Porsche Motorsport's Cup Cars. I had heard enough and gave her a deposit on the spot. Rhonda was going to call M&M in Germany and explain what I was hoping to get and see what they suggested.

M&M came back with a plan. Replacement side mufflers would connect directly to either an aftermarket center bypass or the factory third muffler. We would delete the valves to save weight and rid ourselves of the annoying opening and closing. They would make caps for the extra inlet to the center section that would no longer be needed without the valves. I thought this was a very sound solution.

Well, I woke up in the middle of the night a few days later thinking I still didn't make my points clear enough about not losing power or having tons of drone. Rhonda reassured me that she understood exactly what I was looking to have. I also asked her if I could pay extra to have a solution to ditch my current center section and just have a straight pipe from the mufflers to the tips. I was willing to invest the extra money to know that I had a complete and finished looking solution. She thought that would be very doable and confirmed it with M&M.

She set my expectations that Motorsports always comes first but thought it would take about three-four weeks for them to fabricate and produce. Last week I got the confirmation that they had completed my exhaust and it would be in the US soon. I was still a little nervous about getting what I wanted.

Today, (Tuesday as promised) I got the email from Rhonda! I was on the phone with a client of mine when I saw it in my inbox. I had to close it as to not get distracted. When I finished my call, I immediately started rifling through the text. There were links to the FVD site and photos of my new exhaust on a scale showing the weights.

Seconds after clicking the links below, I was literally jumping up and down in my office because she had them build exactly what I was hoping for!

Sport Side Mufflers $1,897.13

Center Muffler Bypass $1,484.67

Options

When discussing this with Rhonda I suggested they make it somewhat modular for those that have already invested in a center section.

1.) "Matt Moreman" version: This would be a complete cat-back that includes replacement Side Mufflers and a new Center Bypass that is designed to work specifically with the FVD Sport Side Mufflers and factory or aftermarket tips. This is what I got.

2.) Sport Side Mufflers only: They can be used with a GMG, Sharkwerks, FVD, etc. center muffler bypass OR the factory third muffler. Just specificy when ordering that you intend to use with existing third muffler and they will include caps for the no longer necessary secondary inlet.

Now, I won't have this until tomorrow, but I'm too excited not to share what information I have right now. I'll have photos, videos, impressions to post up this weekend.

I just hope it sounds like I think it's going to sound. Rhonda is working to get a few in stock. She relayed to me that lead time for them to produce is about three weeks. BE SURE TO ASK FOR THE RENNLIST 10% DISCOUNT. You can thank me later.

Matt
Attached Images    

Last edited by Money2536; 04-14-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

So I have some bad news for us all. This isn't the solution I was hoping it would be. As I really think this through now, it makes sense. The factory side mufflers with the valves open offer an almost direct path to the SW bypass then exit. The FVD side mufflers are passing the exhaust gases completely through them. So the result is an improved exhaust note, but it's not nearly as nasty as I want it to be. It is not significant, but noticeably quieter than just the simple bypass.

I still have an appointment at Titan to dyno test on Friday. The car does sound better. It isn't as hollow. I'm thinking this will still be a solid solution for those that want to clean up the valves opening and closing and prefer a more refined sound.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I think all of you that are suggesting a side muffler/valve delete with a center muffler is the better solution for weight and sound. I don't want ghetto loud, but I like an aggressive note. I thought about adding FVD headers with high-flow cats. I don't think that's going to do much.

Here is my crappy install video. I still need to get out and make a video. I'll stop by my exhaust making spot on my way home from Titan.

I had a small ding from shipping. I easily fixed it with a pair of channel locks.

Last edited by Money2536; 04-18-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:32 PM
rollsroy
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for doing this Matt! Can't wait to see it installed on your car with some video clips! I know you'll give us a thorough review.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 542 Posts

Matt, you need professional help.

Should also add that I have never been disappointed by FVD's products or Rhonda's service. Both top notch.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Unique approach. M&M already makes a highly regarded side muffler delete/center muffler upgrade package that would seem to address all your goals. It'll be interesting to see how this sounds.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
It'll be interesting to see how this sounds.
+1

I hope it will be to your satisfaction.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,459 Likes on 762 Posts

I am very interested. I have the SW bypass and am hoping you first test their side mufflers with no valves on the rear bypass you have before using their bypass. I do not think their bypass is going to make much of a difference because most of these rear bypasses sound close to being the same except for a note hear or there.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome job again Matt!!
This might be a pain but any chance you could get a video with side muffler bypass connected to your Sharkwerk bypass? This would be my combo if it sounds good. Txs.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:34 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The picture of the side mufflers look like they are from Midas and spray painted silver...I hope the real deal is stainless. Not a good pic from a marketing standpoint.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:40 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,459 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
The picture of the side mufflers look like they are from Midas and spray painted silver...I hope the real deal is stainless. Not a good pic from a marketing standpoint.
You beat me to it. Please take pictures of the side mufflers when you take them out of the box. M&M usually are very good craftsman but those pictures above look like they taken of the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,798 Likes on 5,155 Posts

Awesome, Matt.

Keep us posted. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I am very interested. I have the SW bypass and am hoping you first test their side mufflers with no valves on the rear bypass you have before using their bypass. I do not think their bypass is going to make much of a difference because most of these rear bypasses sound close to being the same except for a note hear or there.
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to test it. I'm not sure of the the diameter of the SW bypass. It may be different than that the 70mm outlet of the new mufflers. I need to measure and report back to FVD once I remove it.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
You beat me to it. Please take pictures of the side mufflers when you take them out of the box. M&M usually are very good craftsman but those pictures above look like they taken of the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz
This may be my fault. I told them I don't care what it looks like. They are using T316. I think that is the raw, natural look of it. I actually prefer this look over shiny.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 542 Posts

I've never seen the need to polish a muffler. It's just going to oxidize when it gets up to temperature. The standard matt finish from the mill is fine.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,798 Likes on 5,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I've never seen the need to polish a muffler. It's just going to oxidize when it gets up to temperature. The standard matt finish from the mill is fine.
+1

My M&M / FVD bypass looked like the ones in the picture, out of the box.

Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher "Full" Cat-Back Exhaust!