Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD Brombacher "Full" Cat-Back Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

I just talked to Rhonda at FVD. She thinks M&M may have packed the muffler a little excessively. She is going to chat with them and figure this out.

She is going to work with M&M to make it clear that we want "nasty" without massive drone.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
....... to make it clear that we want "nasty" .
I love it when you talk dirty!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
I love it when you talk dirty!!!
That just made me laugh out loud!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

My M&M side muffler delete never sounded as raspy loud like Sharky, but it barely droned.
Maybe you could hear a little drone for maybe 200RPM but everywhere else it was great.

This was on the 4.0 I have video's somewhere of the car on the Dyno.

I like side muffler delete because its easier to get rid of heat, you lose weight off the *** and it makes more power (474HP to the wheels in the 4.0) so its really faster around the track. Sharky sounds awesome and is simple to do, easier with warranty work etc.

I probably will put M&M side muffler delete on my car from Rhonda again.

Another benefit is that you cant crack the side mufflers when they are off the car :-) and you really want to preserve your OEM center muffler as well. They all cracked on the 997, no reason they wont on the new one.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My M&M side muffler delete never sounded as raspy loud like Sharky, but it barely droned.
Maybe you could hear a little drone for maybe 200RPM but everywhere else it was great.

This was on the 4.0 I have video's somewhere of the car on the Dyno.

I like side muffler delete because its easier to get rid of heat, you lose weight off the *** and it makes more power (474HP to the wheels in the 4.0) so its really faster around the track. Sharky sounds awesome and is simple to do, easier with warranty work etc.

I probably will put M&M side muffler delete on my car from Rhonda again.

Another benefit is that you cant crack the side mufflers when they are off the car :-) and you really want to preserve your OEM center muffler as well. They all cracked on the 997, no reason they wont on the new one.
Any issues with OEM center muffler cracking for those who opt to do side muffler delete with BBI or similar side muffler delete systems? I recall the titanium center muffler on the 997.2 RS had some issues in this regard. I went with Europipe side and center muffler delete pipe and it was a bit too loud with stock header and cats, though I saved a lot of weight. I believe Sharkwerks has a similar pipe. The 991 GT3 center muffler is steel so maybe more durable but it will definitely get hotter than normal especially on tracked cars. Doesn't M&M go with a center muffler only solution made of Inconel for weight and heat management on cup and RSR cars?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The OEM steel and Ti went bad pretty quickly.
It worsened with side muffler delete.

Aftermarket will also crack and there Sharkwerks is king in customer service, if you manage to crack one they will help you out. Plus it sounds awesome. If you don't track (sell GT3 please) than its perfect in the sound department.

M&M has options I'm sure as do others.
FVD is local to me and seemed to work fine last time .
Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Alright, FVD take 2 is in transit. Now that I've gotten an actual education on how this exhaust system works, I think I got it right this time.

Side delete with M&M center muffler

I'm not getting the headers right away. The headers with 200 CEL cats will be replacing stock at some point. I'm going to get them after being fairly certain the car is not going to have any warranty issue.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:09 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

^^You're welcome brother. Anything else you need, let me know. If anyone else is interested, let me know.

CheeRS,

MJSPEED

Side delete with M&M center muffler

I'm not getting the headers right away. The headers with 200 CEL cats will be replacing stock at some point. I'm going to get them after being fairly certain the car is not going to have any warranty issue.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Matt, so does this mean the side delete will NOT work with a SW or GMG center delete? SW and GMG bypass have dual inlet's on both sides. The above suggests that the side deletes channel into a single pipe, or are there options? Txs.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,459 Likes on 762 Posts

I believe he is deleting sides but replacing OEM rear muffler with the M&M rear muffler not bypass.

If you delete the sides I do not think you should also bypass rear.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I believe he is deleting sides but replacing OEM rear muffler with the M&M rear muffler not bypass.

In the earlier discussion there was talk of replacing the side mufflers and using an existing center delete (if you had already purchased one) but just looking at the picture it would appear you can't use a SW or GMG with these side deletes? Just wondering if I'm looking at this right? As that's what I would be doing or want ting to do as I've already got a SW bypass.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Matt, so does this mean the side delete will NOT work with a SW or GMG center delete? SW and GMG bypass have dual inlet's on both sides. The above suggests that the side deletes channel into a single pipe, or are there options? Txs.
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

In the earlier discussion there was talk of replacing the side mufflers and using an existing center delete (if you had already purchased one) but just looking at the picture it would appear you can't use a SW or GMG with these side deletes? Just wondering if I'm looking at this right? As that's what I would be doing or want ting to do as I've already got a SW bypass.
Sorry, I actually had to be a parent tonight and let my wife have the night off. Anyway, that nonsense is over. Let's talk exhausts.

Here is what I learned in this experiment. I think the previous 996, 997.1, and 997.2 owners already know this. The side mufflers need to go. I didn't realize how little the side mufflers do with the valves forced open. There is essentially a weird about 80 degree angle that allows the exhaust gases to exit out the lower, larger pipe when the valve are open. Some gases are still passing through the top that starts after the cat, flows through the muffler to baffle the sound, and then exit through the center muffler.

I now know that my plan was flawed from the start after gaining an understanding of the actual flow of gases with the valves forced open and the third muffler bypassed. The M&M side mufflers didn't work for me because I wanted to change the character/tone of the exhaust, but retain or even amplify the volume. The tone was changed, but the volume was decreased significantly. Now I see why. I added two full time mufflers with no direct exit, so it was considerably quieter than it was.

After talking with FVD and some long-time, knowledgeable 911 guys, I learned that I did it backwards. I should be replacing the side mufflers with a straight pipe. Then, to change to tone, replace the the factory center muffler with a tune M&M center muffler. The cheaper route would be just cap the factory center muffler and get some side muffler/valve delete pipes. I want to change the character and improve the sound of the car, so I spent the extra money to have them produce a center muffler for me.

I'm guessing, I'll still want to add headers after learning what they actually do. Plus, I'll gain some more volume by replacing the 600 CEL cats with 200 CEL.

The original plan would work with the SW/GMW, but this new option will not. We are looking at somewhere around $2,500 for this set-up.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Some of the 4.0 power came from oem lighter cats.
Add side muffler delete and you got HP.
And less weight and less heat better sound for not much $$.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry, I actually had to be a parent tonight and let my wife have the night off. Anyway, that nonsense is over. Let's talk exhausts.

Here is what I learned in this experiment. I think the previous 996, 997.1, and 997.2 owners already know this. The side mufflers need to go. I didn't realize how little the side mufflers do with the valves forced open. There is essentially a weird about 80 degree angle that allows the exhaust gases to exit out the lower, larger pipe when the valve are open. Some gases are still passing through the top that starts after the cat, flows through the muffler to baffle the sound, and then exit through the center muffler.

I now know that my plan was flawed from the start after gaining an understanding of the actual flow of gases with the valves forced open and the third muffler bypassed. The M&M side mufflers didn't work for me because I wanted to change the character/tone of the exhaust, but retain or even amplify the volume. The tone was changed, but the volume was decreased significantly. Now I see why. I added two full time mufflers with no direct exit, so it was considerably quieter than it was.

After talking with FVD and some long-time, knowledgeable 911 guys, I learned that I did it backwards. I should be replacing the side mufflers with a straight pipe. Then, to change to tone, replace the the factory center muffler with a tune M&M center muffler. The cheaper route would be just cap the factory center muffler and get some side muffler/valve delete pipes. I want to change the character and improve the sound of the car, so I spent the extra money to have them produce a center muffler for me.

I'm guessing, I'll still want to add headers after learning what they actually do. Plus, I'll gain some more volume by replacing the 600 CEL cats with 200 CEL.

The original plan would work with the SW/GMW, but this new option will not. We are looking at somewhere around $2,500 for this set-up.
Bingo grasshopper!!

It is very apparent if one pays attention that Porsche realized that to get maximum performance out of the exhaust, it needed to eliminate the side mufflers, but because of emissions regulations and marketing idiots, they were forced to install them, only to find the second best solution, the bypass button/feature.

By the way the approximately $2500 (closer to $3k) are just for the elbows and center muffler. That doesn't include the headers or the CEL cats.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:46 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Some of the 4.0 power came from oem lighter cats.
Add side muffler delete and you got HP.
And less weight and less heat better sound for not much $$.
You mean more heat.

Quick Reply: FVD Brombacher "Full" Cat-Back Exhaust!