Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essex/AP Racing 2-piece Brake Discs and Ferodo Racing Brake Pads for 991 GT3!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:47 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hi Jeff, what is the situation with the rears exactly? Seems like multiple delays. Are they for-sure happening? Will they be stocked in the future long term?
Yes, they are happening with 100% certainty! AP has been dragging their feet a bit on this first batch delivery. They've changed their anticipated delivery date on us about six different times. It's extremely frustrating for us and our dealers, because we can only supply the retail customer with our latest info (which is sparse). Nobody had to deal with this situation on the front discs, because I didn't announce them until we had them in hand for precisely the reasons below.

This sort of thing is completely normal with new products from all of our European manufacturing partners. There are many variables that factor into the production schedule...the order in which products are produced, if they're using the same casting as other discs that need to be built, etc. Any new batch of discs also has to go through a comprehensive lab/quality testing procedure. The discs are reviewed dimensionally to a high level of detail on a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine), and the metallurgy is also tested in two independent labs. Once AP ships them to Essex, every single disc is again inspected by our internal staff prior to boxing and/or final assembly. In that manner we have multiple sets of eyes and hands on every disc before a customer ever has the opportunity to receive them. The good news is that when they do arrive, you will know that you have the highest quality product available, and that there weren't any shortcuts taken. It always takes a bit longer than we hope when we're creating something new, but the end result is always worth the wait. You will see that difference on your car when you use them.

Also keep in mind that we are in the heart of race season, and AP Racing is insanely busy right now. We are competing for AP's production time with F1 and Sprint Cup teams. They are juggling priorities, and sometimes we lowly peasants can't compete with F1 budgets and firedrills.

As for the long-term, we have 250 pairs of the rear 380x30mm iron inbound. That means once they're here we'll have a healthy supply to ship from our warehouse in Charlotte, NC. The discs will be a quick phone call and UPS jaunt away at all times. Our goal with this program is to always have these discs on the shelf and available. That's what we've done with our Competition BBK program for other vehicle platforms, despite incredibly rapid growth and expansion. It typically takes a little time and a lot of planning to get the kinks ironed out, but once we settle in it runs smoothly.

Thanks for your patience. I know it can be frustrating to wait! I will be sure to update when I have any concrete dates. Please don't think our dealers are hiding any info from you. That's absolutely not the case. We're all just working with incomplete info. I can assure you that the rear discs will most are happening. I'll see if I can snag the technical drawing to post so you guys can see them. Thanks again for your patience and sorry for the delay. I can assure you that everyone along the chain is doing their best to get these done and on cars.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Yes, they are happening with 100% certainty! AP has been dragging their feet a bit on this first batch delivery. They've changed their anticipated delivery date on us about six different times. It's extremely frustrating for us and our dealers, because we can only supply the retail customer with our latest info (which is sparse). Nobody had to deal with this situation on the front discs, because I didn't announce them until we had them in hand for precisely the reasons below.

This sort of thing is completely normal with new products from all of our European manufacturing partners. There are many variables that factor into the production schedule...the order in which products are produced, if they're using the same casting as other discs that need to be built, etc. Any new batch of discs also has to go through a comprehensive lab/quality testing procedure. The discs are reviewed dimensionally to a high level of detail on a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine), and the metallurgy is also tested in two independent labs. Once AP ships them to Essex, every single disc is again inspected by our internal staff prior to boxing and/or final assembly. In that manner we have multiple sets of eyes and hands on every disc before a customer ever has the opportunity to receive them. The good news is that when they do arrive, you will know that you have the highest quality product available, and that there weren't any shortcuts taken. It always takes a bit longer than we hope when we're creating something new, but the end result is always worth the wait. You will see that difference on your car when you use them.

Also keep in mind that we are in the heart of race season, and AP Racing is insanely busy right now. We are competing for AP's production time with F1 and Sprint Cup teams. They are juggling priorities, and sometimes we lowly peasants can't compete with F1 budgets and firedrills.

As for the long-term, we have 250 pairs of the rear 380x30mm iron inbound. That means once they're here we'll have a healthy supply to ship from our warehouse in Charlotte, NC. The discs will be a quick phone call and UPS jaunt away at all times. Our goal with this program is to always have these discs on the shelf and available. That's what we've done with our Competition BBK program for other vehicle platforms, despite incredibly rapid growth and expansion. It typically takes a little time and a lot of planning to get the kinks ironed out, but once we settle in it runs smoothly.

Thanks for your patience. I know it can be frustrating to wait! I will be sure to update when I have any concrete dates. Please don't think our dealers are hiding any info from you. That's absolutely not the case. We're all just working with incomplete info. I can assure you that the rear discs will most are happening. I'll see if I can snag the technical drawing to post so you guys can see them. Thanks again for your patience and sorry for the delay. I can assure you that everyone along the chain is doing their best to get these done and on cars.
Thanks for the clear reply, Jeff. Do the rears share the same 380x30mm rings as the front, or are the rears a separate ring that needs to be stocked up as well?
Old 06-24-2015, 12:36 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the clear reply, Jeff. Do the rears share the same 380x30mm rings as the front, or are the rears a separate ring that needs to be stocked up as well?
No worries. The front rings are 380x34mm, and the rears are 380x30mm. We have loads of the 380x34mm rings on the shelf. We are waiting on the 380x30mm rear rings.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:37 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Hey Jeff, do you have any images of the aluminum hats for the rears?

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
No worries. The front rings are 380x34mm, and the rears are 380x30mm. We have loads of the 380x34mm rings on the shelf. We are waiting on the 380x30mm rear rings.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:48 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Fwiw, I'm at the track this weekend and this setup is still working like champ. Love it. Front pads will probably be done after today. 6 days of use. Rears still look new. AP rotors up front look good. Some light cracking but nothing bad looking. I'm expecting these to last the rest of the year. I'll probably change the rear rotors just for aesthetics.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Mike,
Thanks for your up to date evaluation of both the AP front rotors
And Ferodo DS1.11 pads. Glad to hear they are both living up to your expectations.
Drove to the Charlotte area to drop off our C4 for some maintenance so I scheduled a meeting with Jeff Ritter at Essex.
Impressive facility devoted to racing brakes. Full brake Dyno
With burnishing room etc. Jeff's is determined to become a player
In the Porsche community. New products will be forthcoming as promised.
I have revamped some of Ferodo's application guide for Porsche automobiles and hope to have it on our website by the end of the week.
Ferodo makes all of Racing Technologies (Brembo) pads.
I believe both AP and Ferodo to be first class products
With an excellent history.
I currently have Ferodo pads and AP front rotors in stock for
The 991, 996 and 997 GT3s.
Customer service at Essex is top notch.
We are very pleased with our alignment with Essex.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Jeff, do you have any images of the aluminum hats for the rears?
Not yet. Sorry. We typically don't do photography on parts until we have them built and prep'd for the website. They are here in our warehouse though. I'll try to snag a quick cellphone pic today if I have a minute. I may not get a chance though...several of my guys are at VIR and the beach!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:34 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Fwiw, I'm at the track this weekend and this setup is still working like champ. Love it. Front pads will probably be done after today. 6 days of use. Rears still look new. AP rotors up front look good. Some light cracking but nothing bad looking. I'm expecting these to last the rest of the year. I'll probably change the rear rotors just for aesthetics.
Good to hear! I'm glad they're working as you had hoped.

Thanks for your up to date evaluation of both the AP front rotors
And Ferodo DS1.11 pads. Glad to hear they are both living up to your expectations.
Drove to the Charlotte area to drop off our C4 for some maintenance so I scheduled a meeting with Jeff Ritter at Essex.
Impressive facility devoted to racing brakes. Full brake Dyno
With burnishing room etc. Jeff's is determined to become a player
In the Porsche community. New products will be forthcoming as promised.
I have revamped some of Ferodo's application guide for Porsche automobiles and hope to have it on our website by the end of the week.
Ferodo makes all of Racing Technologies (Brembo) pads.
I believe both AP and Ferodo to be first class products
With an excellent history.
I currently have Ferodo pads and AP front rotors in stock for
The 991, 996 and 997 GT3s.
Customer service at Essex is top notch.
We are very pleased with our alignment with Essex.
Thanks for the kind words Clark...appreciate it! Most people have no idea about all of the things we have going on here at Essex. Fully custom brake dyno rented by pro teams from NASCAR, Indycar, ALMS...patented burnishing machine & process designed and built by our engineering director (the same one who does our disc hat designs)...Coordinate Measuring Machine to design and quality check parts...we are the only authorized AP Racing caliper recertification facility in North America...several full-time outside sales people for professional racing...AP Racing engineer on site full-time...the list goes on. We're into all facets of racing, primarily at the pro level. Our aftermarket division which I head is only a small part of what we do. Fortunately, the aftermarket division gets to benefit from the immense racing knowledge & experience in the building. That allows us to bring far more resources to bear when we decide to dive into a project head first, which is what we have done on the Porsche discs. We use the same people, designs, materials and techniques that we use in Sprint Cup, ALMS, Indycar, etc. The result is that our parts are far more than simply "racing-inspired." They are pretty much identical to what can be seen on TV.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:46 AM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anything for regular 991s?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Dude, where are the rears at?! Lagging!
Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dude, where are the rears at?! Lagging!
Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience! The rears are here!

We're assembling all current orders now, and they'll start shipping out over the next couple of days. We also have some extra sets of rears for new orders if anyone wants some.

anything for regular 991s?
We do not currently, but we're looking at the possibility of creating complete brake kits using AP Racing's Pro5000R Radi-CAL calipers.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:05 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with Clark. He discussed AP/Ferodo with me. I am going to go through one more series with my PF08's on a 7.1 GT3 then switch. Any other 7.1-3 users out there? currently run 380 Giro front and OEM turbo rear PCCB conversion. I am an advanced intermediate driver in the instructor run group at Sebring in various clubs, running 2:24 range. Use Nitto NT01's.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:02 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by woodyTPA
Just got off the phone with Clark. He discussed AP/Ferodo with me. I am going to go through one more series with my PF08's on a 7.1 GT3 then switch. Any other 7.1-3 users out there? currently run 380 Giro front and OEM turbo rear PCCB conversion. I am an advanced intermediate driver in the instructor run group at Sebring in various clubs, running 2:24 range. Use Nitto NT01's.
Hi woody,
Excellent! Yes, we have quite a few 997 GT3's on our discs. I have a similar thread in that forum as well. Tom from TPC installed them on his personal car, and you can see his thoughts over there. I have some other customers who also made the switch from other brands and nobody seems to be looking back.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't think I did, but was there a GB in the spring that I missed?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts
Default AP Rotors and Ferodo DS1.11 Pads

For anyone needing 991 GT3 Rotors now is the time. Both Fronts and rears in stock. Rennlist Promo code works on both.

Essex has done a great job of working there way thru the backlog of
backorders for rear rotor assembliues.

Front - http://apexperformance-net.3dcartsto...ONT_p_203.html
Rear - http://apexperformance-net.3dcartsto...EAR_p_630.html

We also have the Ferodo DS1.11 pads in stock for the 991 GT3.

fronts http://apexperformance-net.3dcartsto...S111_p_96.html
rears http://apexperformance-net.3dcartsto...S111_p_97.html

Quick Reply: Essex/AP Racing 2-piece Brake Discs and Ferodo Racing Brake Pads for 991 GT3!