Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Essex / AP Racing 2-piece Brake Discs for all 997 GT3 Variants Available Now!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:01 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Essex / AP Racing 2-piece Brake Discs for all 997 GT3 Variants Available Now!

Hello Gents,
We (Essex Parts Services) are the exclusive importer and distributor for AP Racing competition brakes in North America. We are now offering front and rear AP Racing Heavy Duty J Hook discs for the 997 GT3 platform. Our goal was to produce the most durable, overbuilt disc on the market, and I believe we've done just that.

As many of you know, AP Racing discs are widely considered the go-to choice in professional racing. Over the years they've won countless races and championships in ALMS, NASCAR, DTM, Rolex, etc. AP Racing has also won over 750 Formula 1 races with their brake and clutch products.

We are using the same designs, materials, and attachment mechanism for these discs that we use in pro racing. As such, these particular discs are far more stout, and will offer superior performance and longevity vs. other available options! They feature 72 directional vanes (most competitors use 48), and highly crack-resistant metallurgy.

These are the disc options:
          380x34mm Front: Retail $1798 per pair, iron replacement rings $399 each
          350x28mm Rear: Retail $1498 per pair, iron replacement rings $339 each

I wrote this post in the 991 GT3 section which contains many of the details about the product and our company. Everything in that post essentially applies to our discs for the 997 GT3.

We're also working on the web page for the rear discs, and it will be done soon.

Please shoot me a PM, email me, or call us at seven-zero-four-824-6030 if you're interested in a set of these discs.

Here are some pics to give you an idea of what they look like:

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
          Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
          Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
          704-824-6030
          jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 06-03-2015 at 10:26 AM.
          Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM
          orthojoe
          Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

FWIW, Jeff asked me to test these rotors on my 991GT3. I've been very happy with them. They weigh the same as OEM, and the ring replacement costs are much lower than entire OEM rotors.

541 track miles and 5 track days (2 at Thunderhill, 2 at Laguna, and 1 at Sonoma) and they still look good and have performed flawlessly.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:21 AM
          zweebach
          Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running AP discs on my car for several years and have been very happy. The pricing listed here is great!
          Old 05-29-2015, 09:08 PM
          Jamie_GT3
          Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Will these fit Brembo hats?
          Old 05-30-2015, 11:30 AM
          Clark-ApexPerformance
          Basic Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

For those of you considering AP discs....we are a stocking dealer and have chosen to partner with Essex on AP rotors/hats and Ferodo pads.
          We believe both AP and Ferodo to be superior products.
          Call me with any questions.

ApexPerformance.net
          Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
          Direct: 843-299-0997
          EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
          www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
          Old 05-30-2015, 11:35 AM
          Clark-ApexPerformance
          Basic Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
          Jamie most all the brake people make their rotors and hats sightly different so you
          can't interchange parts. Their is a possibility the AP and Brembos will be interchangeable as Brembo owns AP.
          Jeff Ritter from Essex will respond to you on this Monday.
          Old 06-03-2015, 10:45 AM
          JRitt@essex
          Basic Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
          I've had lots of questions about swapping discs and hats within the AP Racing brand, across other brands, etc. In most cases swapping iron discs onto hats for which they were not intended will not work. Here's why:

PCD

The primary issue that you'll constantly run into with trying to make one disc fit with the hats from another disc is a difference in PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter). The PCD of a disc is the distance between the center of the mounting holes on the opposite sides of a disc. It is typically shown in mm. Here's a pic as an example:

If the distance between the center of those holes on the two discs under consideration is not identical, then a given hat will not be centered on those two discs in the same manner. On a floating disc, the whole point is to allow the disc to have freedom for expansion when it is heated. Here are a couple of pics from our website showing how this works with the attachment mechanism we use:

If the PCD of two discs are different, the bobbin will not be perfectly centered in the oblong hole on the disc flange. That means it won't slide smoothly, can bind up, cause stress risers, cracking, etc. Basically, your floating disc will no longer be floating!

Floating Mechanism

Another issue you'll run into is that the floating mechanism used on particular discs can be quite different. That is within a given manufacturer, and across manufacturers. That is why you can't slap Brembo iron on an AP Racing hat and vice versa. Some used bolted/fixed hats, where there is no float. Some use a float-in-hat (the bobbin slides in the hat rather than the oblong channel in the iron), rather than float-in-disc. Some mechanisms have twice the number of attachment holes that we have. Some have fewer. There are tons of variations, and they all have different intended purposes, strengths, and weaknesses.

The mounting system we use has been proven countless times in pro racing, is simple, reliable, and inexpensive. It doesn't have a million pieces to keep track of, is quick and easy to assemble, allows a great deal of float/disc expansion, doesn't rattle and make noise...it's a great setup.

If you want to look at the drawings of our specific discs to check PCD and other dimensions, you can do so at these links:

Essex/AP Racing 380x34mm, CP6572-102/3GA

Essex/AP Racing 350x28mm, CP6472-102/3GA

Hopefully that clarifies the issue of swapping iron disc rings and hats. Thanks.
          Old 07-07-2015, 02:55 PM
          JRitt@essex
          Basic Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

Hello Gents,
          Just an FYI...The rear 997 GT3 AP Racing discs are now in stock and ready to ship. Thanks!
          Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM
          Clark-ApexPerformance
          Basic Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
          Hello Gents,
          Just an FYI...The rear 997 GT3 AP Racing discs are now in stock and ready to ship. Thanks!
          Tired replacing those cross drilled rear rotors? AP 997 GT3 and Turbo rear rotor assemblies will be in stock at our warehouse tomorrow. Replacement rotors are only $359.
          The Rennlist Promocode works on this item http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2759.htm Call with any questions you may have. We are an authorized
          Essex/AP/Ferodo reseller.
          Old 07-09-2015, 01:39 PM
          Protocav
          Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Do the PFC pads still work with these rotors?
          Old 07-09-2015, 04:03 PM
          JRitt@essex
          Basic Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Protocav
          Do the PFC pads still work with these rotors?
          Our AP Racing discs are the exact same dimensions as the OEM GT3 discs (380x34mm), and are designed to work with pads that are identical in shape/size to the OEM pads (the OEM GT3 pads are 17mm thick). That means our AP Racing discs will work with all 17mm thick pads on the market that are designed to work with the OEM GT3 calipers and discs.

However, there are some pads on the market that have a shape very similar to OEM, but they are thicker. For example, PFC (7819.XX.19.44 .) and Pagid make some pads that are 19mm thick. Those pads will NOT work with the OEM discs, nor will they work with our AP Racing discs. They will only work with the thinner 380x32mm discs that some manufacturers sell.

Hopefully that clears things up. Thanks.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 07-10-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added info and details
          Old 07-10-2015, 01:00 PM
          Clark-ApexPerformance
          Basic Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

Well said Jeff..thanks.
          Old 07-20-2015, 12:26 PM
          Tom@TPC Racing
          Premium Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts
          Default Review of Essex/AP J-Hook Rotors

I was preparing my 997.1 GT3 for a 3-day track weekend and discovered a decent size crack on the inside of the left front rotor. My conservative judgment tells me that I could go 2 days, but I am not going to put myself and others at risk so at 3:30pm the day before the event, I gave Jeff at Essex a call to check availability on the AP Racing J-hook rotors. Jeff said they have all the pieces(friction rings, hats, hardware) in stock to send next day air but I'd have to assemble them to complete rotors. I said let's do it!

There are other reputable brands of rotors(discs or disks, however you want to call them) on the market, but personally, I am partial to the AP Racing brand from my first hand experience on performance and durability from 24-hour racing.

The track event was at Summit Point, which was only 1.5 hour from the shop. I went there on the first day for registration and drove half day at 7/10th; letting off well before braking zones. Drove back to the shop in the afternoon to do some paperwork and to pick up the rotors that was promptly delivered. To my pleasant surprise, even though Jeff said I'd to assemble the pieces they came fully assembled. Jeff had his guys scrambling to complete the rotors prior to shipping to save me time. Well done!

I like these rotors because they have spring clips to prevent knocking sound on the 2-piece floating-design at low speeds. Which I feel its important for a dual purpose car. Sure enough zero knocking sound at any speeds. This is not an issue on full-time track cars and race cars but on streets cars subjected to a lot of lower speed driving(say less than 35mph) having the spring clips will prevent unwanted wear on the aluminum hats as a result of the movement.

Here's my OCD-ness kicking in- Checking torque at 120 in/lb.

Day two, after isolated heavy rain in the morning I change the rotors.

The fit was exacting. Zero drama as expected.

Another thing I like about these rotors is the clearance between the aluminum hat and the brake pad backing plate- nicely machined!

As for the stopping performance- WOW. Using the same pads the braking feels noticeably smoother and feels like it has more grip in the middle of the braking zone(compared to the one-piece all steel rotors). I was going easy on the bedding-in session but in the later sessions I am engaging the ABS in the mid-zone from muscle memory- you can tell by the blue spots on the rotors. I have to retrain my foot for threshold.

Overall, I am very happy with the rotors and I wish I had these rotors sooner. Thank you to Jeff and Essex for coming through with my last minute request. TPC Racing will be offering Essex/AP J-Hook rotors to our customers.

TPC Racing stats:
          2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
          2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
          2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
          2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
          2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
          2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
          2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
          2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
          2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 07-20-2015, 09:57 PM
          Saru385
          Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks for the write up, Tom!
          i'll be ordering up a set of these soon. just need to check if i need new pads as well.

edit: what are you running for rears?
          Old 07-20-2015, 11:05 PM
          Clark-ApexPerformance
          Basic Sponsor
          Rennlist
          Site Sponsor

We have these AP Rotor assemblies in stock for both from and rear
          For 997.1 and 997.2 GT3 and fronts for 991GT3. Free shipping
          And Rennlist promo code apply. We also have PFC and Ferodo pads in stock.

Quick Reply: Essex / AP Racing 2-piece Brake Discs for all 997 GT3 Variants Available Now!