991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over Revs with PDK-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
I think it is silly that manufacturers even allow a car to "over-rev", especially with the manual gearbox. Nearly every manual out there now has rev-matching and Launch Control. So, the computer knows what gear you are in, and what gear you moved the stick to, and calculates what gas to give it, to match the revs perfectly. So if the dummy on the other end of the stick moves it to the wrong gate, then just have the car keep the clutch depressed. Not that difficult.

And for years, the Corvette has blocked gates for skipping gears for gas mileage. How hard is it that when you are in 3rd, at a certain RPM, it blocks 2nd. This really shouldn't be an issue.
With manual, the alternative to prevent an overrev is to override the gear selection, put the car in neutral and disengage the engine, but that presents its own hazards (eg, you don't want to be in neutral entering a high-speed corner).
Old 04-02-2015, 04:25 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Considering there are only three ranges, and that they're so tight, you might consider getting some documentation from Porsche acknowledging that some degree of Range 1 overrev is normal for this car and won't void the warranty.
You will not see anything from Porsche saying it won't void warranty regardless of which range you hit other than what's already published by them. As someone else stated earlier Porsche has redefined the overrange risks associated with possible engine damage with the GT3 engine but I do not have the bulletin handy to link (I'm sure someone will post it). I will assume this is because of the higher than normal rev limit that leaves little margin of error for internal damage at 9k plus rpm but you would like to think they allowed for a little pinch of overreving based on psk-s up shifts in sport mode or...for example engineers could have (through development testing) determined that overreving another type of engine with a lower RPM limit depending on which range it hit could have less potential risk of damage than a 9k limit with 1 GT3. This will be interesting concept moving forward as we see how the warranty claim is responded to with first blown engine with overrevs in range 1. They seem to be warning dealers to NOT assume that an engine will be warrantable if the engine hits a certain number of these over ranges but on the other hand they say track use is accepted as normal use for car??? Hopefully I'm not the first to test my engine warranty because at track it's full throttle in sport mode and I haven't checked I'm assuming many range 1 "hits".
Old 04-02-2015, 05:43 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With manual, the alternative to prevent an overrev is to override the gear selection, put the car in neutral and disengage the engine, but that presents its own hazards (eg, you don't want to be in neutral entering a high-speed corner).
Preventing the gear from going into the WRONG gear, IMO, is still safer than letting it go into the wrong gear. Brakes still work, steering wheel still turns, engine not blown up, lap time screwed due to the dummy driving the car. I have been in my PDK C2S many many times, following manual Mustangs and Corvettes, pressing them into the corners with late corner braking and trail braking, and have seen several nearly spin out in front of me from unsettling their cars as they poorly downshift without heel-toeing, adding rear engine braking to their already nose heavy, ready to rotate car. This would occur from a money shift too, so I am not sure that is better than coasting through the corner until I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. And the blocking of the wrong gate would be no different than just missing the shift, eventually finding it, and only ruining your ego and lap time.
The natural response of any manual driver when the split second occurs they just entered the wrong gear would be to slam the clutch in ASAP. Why should the engine even let you, as the computer ECU knows what is about to occur.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:16 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, you can bounce off the rev limiter for 1 minute and nothing would happen to the engine, you have nothing to worry about. keep it at the redline all day long dont worry. Have FUN
Old 04-03-2015, 05:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,503 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
guys, you can bounce off the rev limiter for 1 minute and nothing would happen to the engine, you have nothing to worry about. keep it at the redline all day long dont worry. Have FUN
I believe the concern is primarily with overrev due to a downshift. That can happen with a conventional manual, and the expectation is that PDK wouldn't allow that, but we have evidence that Range 1 overrev ("engine damage possible") is possible with the 991 GT3.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

How is that possible if the PDK won't let you downshift??
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

I believe the concern is primarily with overrev due to a downshift. That can happen with a conventional manual, and the expectation is that PDK wouldn't allow that, but we have evidence that Range 1 overrev ("engine damage possible") is possible with the 991 GT3.
Don't believe it's on downshifts....I think it floats just into range 1 on upshifts at full acceleration due to engine momentum at peak. Again I have not checked my ecu yet but that what others are reporting. I personally am not worried myself about range 1 even with this engine my earlier point was simply that i will be curious to see how Porsche handles any major engine issues should they come up because based on what they've told dealers they are speaking out of both sides of mouth.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FTR, although the 997 Mezger has 6 ranges, range 1 reads "engine damage possible" as well. Yes, a much different engine, but 1000s of 1 and 2s were not a problem.

Last edited by 911dev; 04-03-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

As I stated before the bold area below is the interesting part....although no different than before this is still a get out of jail free card for Porsche because we know that the cars will bounce into range 1 occasionally even when car is shifting itself. Porsche and dealer normally will step up as they have in the past but it seems this statement below can cause a lot of heartache for customers if dealer doesn't put the effort forward with Porsche.

Information
• In the event of damage:
Before repairing the engine or carrying out any other work, it is important to check whether there is a potential link between damage and overspeed events.
If this is the case, the work cannot be carried out under warranty or goodwill and neither can it be settled as a warranty or goodwill case.
• Before assigning a “Porsche Approved Warranty”, existing overspeed events must also be evaluated:
⇒ For a technical evaluation, please contact the Technical Hotline.
⇒ Further information and details about evaluating overspeed events can be found in the guideline:
“Dealing with overspeed events in the VAL when assigning a Porsche Approved Warranty” (see PPN - Porsche Warranty & Goodwill Guidelines).

Last edited by sccchiii; 04-03-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:13 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shahano
How is that possible if the PDK won't let you downshift??
I imagine when the DME computes it would be bad for the engine, it won't allow the next gear to be selected. Not sure what you mean, sorry.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 AM
911dev
Drifting

It appears as evidenced by the above VAL, range 1 would not be of any alarm. The verbiage for range 2 would cause me some concern, but there is a 300 rpm spread there, so I imagine the rev count would play a significant role. Range 3 is 9500 and beyond. Yeah, I'd be worried and looking for the checkbook.

Considering peak power falls off at 8200?, shifting at 8500-8800 should become common practice for anyone concerned. Understood carrying speed into a corner changes that.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Don't believe it's on downshifts....I think it floats just into range 1 on upshifts at full acceleration due to engine momentum at peak. Again I have not checked my ecu yet but that what others are reporting. I personally am not worried myself about range 1 even with this engine my earlier point was simply that i will be curious to see how Porsche handles any major engine issues should they come up because based on what they've told dealers they are speaking out of both sides of mouth.
I too wonder how Porsche would handle this. If the PDK-S allows for range 1 over-revs when driving the car in AUTO-Sport, then they would have a hard time defending their position. Nothing the driver could do. It is not like over-revs are reported to the driver. Only a PIWIS can run a report. Which, to me, makes no sense in itself. Why not have that findable in the PCM? It would be nice when buying a used car.

Keep in mind, our 9,000 RPM engine was a pinnacle achievement for Porsche to do in a road car, made to last with normal daily driving. The embarrassment already with the engine replacements has likely giving the GT3 a special place. Where is Porsche to go if they were to have failures??
Old 04-03-2015, 11:35 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Like all things in measurement, I wonder how accurate the over-rev counter is? And if we are to believe they have a precise measurement of the RPM, then why did they allow it to precisely over-rev during use? We know speedometers are nearly 100% incorrect. And the funny thing, they typically are recording higher speeds than actually achieving, meaning added miles on the counter. I typically see 3% error at 80 mph. And so a 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty actually could run out 3% sooner than 50,000 miles is reached. I know that is not the case with most Porsche owners.....I get that......but in general, all my other cars I would have that argument. Who is to say they couldn't make sure every car has over-revs? I bet every tracked GT3 will have range 1.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:45 PM
MWM
Intermediate

Default What if?

Random thought:

What if you were near redline then got rear-ended by a vehicle going 30 mph faster? Would the PDK-S allow a mechanical overrev or would it disengage the clutch?
Old 04-03-2015, 04:58 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MWM
Random thought: What if you were near redline then got rear-ended by a vehicle going 30 mph faster? Would the PDK-S allow a mechanical overrev or would it disengage the clutch?
Probably wouldn't matter since the $60k motor would be toast!

Quick Reply: Over Revs with PDK-S