Sponsored by:

Over Revs with PDK-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015 | 07:20 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MWM
Random thought:

What if you were near redline then got rear-ended by a vehicle going 30 mph faster? Would the PDK-S allow a mechanical overrev or would it disengage the clutch?
A more likely problem would be running in manual, right at redline, and you are cresting a hill (or going down a mountain pass), and the cars engine would drag it into over-rev.
Old 04-05-2015 | 01:08 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
A more likely problem would be running in manual, right at redline, and you are cresting a hill (or going down a mountain pass), and the cars engine would drag it into over-rev.
While we are fretting about tranmission mishaps and over-revs, I am waiting to hear about the first 991GT3 PDK-S spins on track where someone is rolling backwards in a forward gear. In a manual you are usually "both-feet-in" on the brakes with the clutch in.

There must be some 991/S PDK drivers that have spun and rolled backwards and can comment on the transmission durability and response to this manuever.
Old 04-05-2015 | 01:36 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Question for you track guys, being I'm not one. When you're approaching redline in any gear and wanting to downshift one gear going into a corner, do you let off the throttle for a split second prior to the downshift to prevent over revs?
Old 04-05-2015 | 02:05 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronson7
Question for you track guys, being I'm not one. When you're approaching redline in any gear and wanting to downshift one gear going into a corner, do you let off the throttle for a split second prior to the downshift to prevent over revs?
As you are approaching redline before a corner, you will then start straight line braking which will then decrease your rpm's, then you can downshift.
Old 04-05-2015 | 02:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by neuroguru
While we are fretting about tranmission mishaps and over-revs, I am waiting to hear about the first 991GT3 PDK-S spins on track where someone is rolling backwards in a forward gear. In a manual you are usually "both-feet-in" on the brakes with the clutch in.

There must be some 991/S PDK drivers that have spun and rolled backwards and can comment on the transmission durability and response to this manuever.
I've done it in a C2S with regular PDK. There are multiple sensors that track wheel speed, vehicle speed, road resistance, axial and lateral acceleration, engine and transmission speed, etc. When the car spins and goes backward in the way you describe, the gearbox disengages the clutch automatically and after you finish the spin and come to a stop you find yourself with the engine still running and the gearbox in 1st gear ready to take off again.

I haven't spun the GT3 with PDK-S yet, but I'd expect exactly the same behavior.
Old 04-05-2015 | 09:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've done it in a C2S with regular PDK. There are multiple sensors that track wheel speed, vehicle speed, road resistance, axial and lateral acceleration, engine and transmission speed, etc. When the car spins and goes backward in the way you describe, the gearbox disengages the clutch automatically and after you finish the spin and come to a stop you find yourself with the engine still running and the gearbox in 1st gear ready to take off again.

I haven't spun the GT3 with PDK-S yet, but I'd expect exactly the same behavior.
If you could kindly test that to verify it, we'd much appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2015 | 11:06 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Like all things in measurement, I wonder how accurate the over-rev counter is? And if we are to believe they have a precise measurement of the RPM, then why did they allow it to precisely over-rev during use? We know speedometers are nearly 100% incorrect. And the funny thing, they typically are recording higher speeds than actually achieving, meaning added miles on the counter. I typically see 3% error at 80 mph. And so a 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty actually could run out 3% sooner than 50,000 miles is reached. I know that is not the case with most Porsche owners.....I get that......but in general, all my other cars I would have that argument. Who is to say they couldn't make sure every car has over-revs? I bet every tracked GT3 will have range 1.
You can count on the odometer and the rev sensors to be extremely accurate- +/-.1% is what I recall for odo test done by C&D years ago with a wide range of cars. Rev counter is based on a position sensor on the crankshaft, flywheel etc and times the ignition, it's even more accurate probably .001 % - or more to the point able to know exactly when each piston is TDC.
Old 04-05-2015 | 12:46 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Did a rather nice 540 coming out of 7 at Putnam Park in a Cayman S with PDK. When it stopped the car was in 1st gear. No issues.
Old 04-05-2015 | 02:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
If you could kindly test that to verify it, we'd much appreciate it.
I'll work on it....

Quick Reply: Over Revs with PDK-S