Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS - Confirmed Orders

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,544 Likes on 5,066 Posts

It's pretty interesting how there are deposits being placed for cars that will not be delivered for what sometimes can amount to 2+ years (from time of deposit to delivery date).

Isn't this interest free loan to the dealer essentially an indirect markup over MSRP, which so many here regard as verboten?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:11 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's pretty interesting how there are deposits being placed for cars that will not be delivered for what sometimes can amount to 2+ years (from time of deposit to delivery date).

Isn't this interest free loan to the dealer essentially an indirect markup over MSRP, which so many here regard as verboten?

Correct. Fortunately, it's a tiny amount of interest. Unfortunately, in most cases, it's the only way to get some of these limited production cars -- put a deposit down 2 - 4 years in advance. I, myself, am already thinking about the 992's (and that's not until 2020+).

The only real way around it is to be a VIP.

For Ferrari's, that means owning a 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, couple 599 GTO's, LaFerrari, etc. *Then* you're possibly, maybe, potentially close to being a VIP.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
The loss is intrinsic in that over time, with enough frustration, a lot of their loyalists will depart. These loyalists drive a lot of traffic towards Porsche via referrals, and other forms of "free" advertising and promotion.
While I wish that were true, Porsche is so entrenched in history, that our referrals literally mean nothing in the big machine that is VW. For every one of us, there are a 1000 other end users loving the product. The GT aspect of Porsche is a very small community.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Correct. Fortunately, it's a tiny amount of interest. Unfortunately, in most cases, it's the only way to get some of these limited production cars -- put a deposit down 2 - 4 years in advance. I, myself, am already thinking about the 992's (and that's not until 2020+).

The only real way around it is to be a VIP.

For Ferrari's, that means owning a 288 GTO, F40, F50, Enzo, couple 599 GTO's, LaFerrari, etc. *Then* you're possibly, maybe, potentially close to being a VIP.
did the pope got a special ferrari? i should have taken up religion.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm putting down a deposit on the 991 4.0 limited edition manual car
Old 04-03-2015, 01:06 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
You have a serious crack ahem "car" addiction....
Old 04-03-2015, 01:07 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
did the pope got a special ferrari? i should have taken up religion.
He did. I believe he got Enzo #400 (even though Ferrari said they'd only make 349, then 399, and then there's technically rumors that they made over 450). The Enzo wasn't numbered, so they can get away with it.

Originally Posted by rockitman
Me too.

And yes, it is bad. More expensive than a heroin addiction. (This much heroin would've killed me a while ago, thus, cheaper.)
Old 04-03-2015, 01:19 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I was joking. Just making fun of those who put deposits down for everything to be the first to get it. I may have a lot of cars, but have never put a deposit down way in advance EXCEPT for 991 RS.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:36 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

I was joking. Just making fun of those who put deposits down for everything to be the first to get it. I may have a lot of cars, but have never put a deposit down way in advance EXCEPT for 991 RS.
It's not necessarily about being the first to get to it, it's about being able to have the chance to spec out the car exactly how you want it. It's tough being a picky nutcase like me, sometimes.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

I'm first on the list for the next GT car, whatever that happens to be. If it's a limited edition model unfortunately I will likely loose out to the one 918 customer at this dealership.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

No joke with me. I put deposits at two stores on this car a year ago. I still probably won't get one.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
No joke with me. I put deposits at two stores on this car a year ago. I still probably won't get one.
Indeed. This, sadly, is no joke for many.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I'm first on the list for the next GT car, whatever that happens to be. If it's a limited edition model unfortunately I will likely loose out to the one 918 customer at this dealership.
With the 918 program it would seem impossible to get the "cup edition" in the US. I will likely get one in Europe and then it will end up sitting in a garage for 11 months of the year!😝
Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
They pumped the 918 very hard. I went to two different events. I am not sure why I care how many they make. With some patience you can probably get an allocation. I still don't think that other than this forum where we drink the cool aide and practice hysteria, the demand for 200k bright orange cars with big spoilers is all that large.

I bought my 2011 RS of the showroom floor after it had been there several weeks.

At the end of the day it's just a car. If I didn't already have one, I would buy a 458 instead.
simply stated, and accurate.

i was speaking with a car locator/assignment type earlier in the week that specializes in finding porches...great relationships with all the big dealers, etc. his comment was that its highly likely that most (but not all) seeking an RS will get one...he said "Porsche is not stupid, unless it is a number plated car, they will make more/enough to handle the majority of demand, even if they have to goose it towards the end like they did with the GT3"
Old 04-03-2015, 09:21 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Indeed. This, sadly, is no joke for many.
The way things are nowadays with 918 VIP priority, and GT3 dealer allocations tied to 911 sales volume, there are some markets where the GT3 RS may not really appear.

Unless one has a long-standing multi-car relationship with a mega dealer, putting down a deposit can be completely futile. I made the first deposit at my dealer on a prospective 991 GT2RS early in 2012. Unless I find a way to join the 918 program, I'm firmly convinced I'll never be able to buy it when it finally gets produced. My dealer is one of the 25 "Exclusive" Porsche dealers who jumped through every hoop PCNA/PAG wanted to attain this special status, but is not in the top of 911 sales -- which drive GT3 dealer allocations. As a result, they received only one allocation for the 991 GT3 RS in excess of any which 918 customers ordered, even though they are favored in other ways.

The one "dealer allocation" went to their best customer (many, many cars, every year, all the time). He buys so many Porsche cars that the PCNA district rep follows his purchase volume. It makes perfect sense that the dealer would give this particular customer the one and only allocation so far.

I'd have to move to California, Chicago, or Florida, then re-spend the past four decades of Porsche purchase history to get to a position wherein I could buy what I wanted from Porsche in the way of GT cars.

Sad, but true.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS - Confirmed Orders