Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Interior Bits Post Delivery, must be smoking Crack with what they charge!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting Interior Bits Post Delivery, must be smoking Crack with what they charge!

Are there any "Quality" professionals that can paint bits of the interior after the car has been delivered?

For instance Porsche will not allow, within the Configurator, the combination of painting the Interior Package in Guards Red if you have chosen the Black and Red with Red stitching combo! Sounds Silly.

Further, Air Vents Painted $1,770 & PCM Display Surround Painted $2,225! And Then Air Vents Paints $1,720 (Just the Surrounding BITS) and the Air Vent Slats Painted at again $1,720! And Finally they don't even offer an option to Paint the Dashboard Decorative Trim including Cupholder Trim and Decorative Door Trim what happened to those options(?); if they are available as "Carbon Fiber" options? Makes no sense at all.

Any professionals in LA or Orange County and Hell I would even drive a car all the way up the Bar Area if that's the place I would need to go to save some $7,435 from Porsche's In House Raping of cost and that still doesn't include how much the Dash and Door Trims would add up to a local professional work?

I would like to keep the car Guards Red if possible if ordered Bespoke! But there is no way in hell I'm paying almost $7,500 if I can get it done in the States for a few grand.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated - I know the License Plate Plug Guy, what is his name Eric(?) might have some leads. But he lives in Florida and it has been a minute since I've seen him on Line.

Any leads would be appreciated.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Are there any "Quality" professionals that can paint bits of the interior after the car has been delivered?

For instance Porsche will not allow, within the Configurator, the combination of painting the Interior Package in Guards Red if you have chosen the Black and Red with Red stitching combo! Sounds Silly.

Further, Air Vents Painted $1,770 & PCM Display Surround Painted $2,225! And Then Air Vents Paints $1,720 (Just the Surrounding BITS) and the Air Vent Slats Painted at again $1,720! And Finally they don't even offer an option to Paint the Dashboard Decorative Trim including Cupholder Trim and Decorative Door Trim what happened to those options(?); if they are available as "Carbon Fiber" options? Makes no sense at all.

Any professionals in LA or Orange County and Hell I would even drive a car all the way up the Bar Area if that's the place I would need to go to save some $7,435 from Porsche's In House Raping of cost and that still doesn't include how much the Dash and Door Trims would add up to a local professional work?

I would like to keep the car Guards Red if possible if ordered Bespoke! But there is no way in hell I'm paying almost $7,500 if I can get it done in the States for a few grand.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated - I know the License Plate Plug Guy, what is his name Eric(?) might have some leads. But he lives in Florida and it has been a minute since I've seen him on Line.

See Techart in Newport Beach/ Irvine. They will do a perfect factory job. It won't be cheap but it will be right
Old 02-24-2015, 11:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

I really don't like the silver bits inside, should be all blacked out.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:01 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I know you dont want to hear this but its another perspective. When you order from Porsche with the "expensive" painted bits, those options now become a part of the MSRP of the car and are factored in when resale comes around. If you have them done on oyur own then youre throwing away the money and will never see a return on it. No one will care when buying the car from you how much money you dumped into it. Now when done by Porsche they might be more expensive but at least youll see a return on your money to some extent. Also some buyers will not want to touch a "modded" car.

Just food for thought
Personally, I am pretty sure based on past experience that neither the Porsche painted bits nor an aftermarket job will bring any resale added value.

With that in mind I would rather sink $3,000 into the project than $7,500. Even if the Porsche bits bring 20% on resale, I am still net 3k ahead.

I do agree with you that there are buyers who don't want any cosmetic mods.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:01 AM
avi8tir
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Personally, I am pretty sure based on past experience that neither the Porsche painted bits nor an aftermarket job will bring any resale added value.

100% correct. Been there, done that several times with Porsche. Unless you find the one single buyer who is willing to pay when you sell the car (which likely isnt going to happen).

All of these factory "cosmetic" upgrades are just that, cosmetic.

All of that being said, I still enjoy adding them to my builds, however not quite as excessively as I used to!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:24 AM
U OLD DOG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were going to paint the interior trim, I would use Sterling Collision in Tustin 714 259-1111; I've been in their facility, it is first rate... If you have collision damage they are the best.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Four Liter
Pro

I'd caution you about doing this . Obviously , to do this properly the parts need to be removed from the car and given that most of what you're dealing with is plastic the potential for breaking mounting tabs is there . Further a lot of these parts may require that you remove other bits that hold them in place and you may end up with squeaks and rattles when it's back together . Agreed the option prices are off the charts , but I think if it was me , I'd either pony up or leave well enough alone .
Old 02-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I know you dont want to hear this but its another perspective. When you order from Porsche with the "expensive" painted bits, those options now become a part of the MSRP of the car and are factored in when resale comes around. If you have them done on oyur own then youre throwing away the money and will never see a return on it. No one will care when buying the car from you how much money you dumped into it. Now when done by Porsche they might be more expensive but at least youll see a return on your money to some extent. Also some buyers will not want to touch a "modded" car.

Just food for thought
Talking about return on my investment. With these types of upgrades I might see a 10 Cent return on each $1 I spend (probably no return at all), talking about the Porsche options. It's like trading stocks and not trading options, well at least the Jon and Pete Najarian way!

Besides if I buy a Bespoke car to keep for 5+ years I could care less about resale value. It's not like I'm buying a Ferrari here or some old Concours Dodge Hemi.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 02-25-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Uh Just Because.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:07 AM
Four Liter
Pro

Another idea which may or may not work for you ; you might be able to do a wrap on some pieces ( not vent slats ) that are larger without removing the parts from the car . Plus you'd have the added benefit of being able to remove it if you got tired of it . I've seen some of this done on various VW's and they do some neat things . Something to look into and the cost would be low .
Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

if you buy a 155k GT3 with 10k in painted bull**** options and put a few thousand miles on it and then trade it in any Porsche dealer will give you EXACTLY the same amount for that car in trade as they would a 155k car with 10k in other more meaningful options. same car same miles same MSRP. Same resale. No way does a dealer value the painted plastic bits at $.10 on the dollar in the trade and other options more. MSRP, Miles, condition. Therefore you will spend less on those plastic bits if from Porsche factory.

NOW VERY IMPORTANT.................this applies to GT3 only and its strong resale. In a regular Carrera forget it, resale will be ****, but then again its no matter whats in the car. a nicely optioned Carrera still has a ****ty resale.

all my opinions......................but im right...............................LOL
I was about to disagree with you 100% until you wrote this post. Maybe that's the case with the GT3 in particular (hopefully so, as mine will be here in about a month).
But my 458 Italia coupe has a whopping $321k msrp loaded with options, and I'm lucky if I'll be able to sell it for a comparable car as far as condition and miles for $10k more than one with a $275-280k optioned car.

One of the very reasons I bought a GT3 as my first P car.... it'll be nice to not lose my a$$ off once ready to trade or sell again.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Call Eric at bumperplugs.com he is a sponsor here. His work is incredible and did some painted interior parts for my last 991. You just send him your stock trim after you receive the painted parts.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:49 AM
Olivia Scott
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is pretty insane what Porsche charges for "painted interior parts" Im actually very adamant about not wanting any of my interior parts in black, unfortunately there are not even enough options available to achieve this. I think its silly that as for the air vents and slats, that to paint the full thing its two different options!!!

I ordered my 2016 Carrera Cabriolet with Luxor Beige interior... and added many leather interior options, but still was not able to get as much of the interior in beige as I wanted.

The delivery on my order is not until next year in the beginning of February, so lol, I have a lot of time to obsess over possible future options, which currently include trying to find aftermarket interior parts with a paint option in beige, or finding a place who can do the customization for me.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:51 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan to keep the car long term, go for it and have someone else paint them for you. I'm a firm believer in "get the car how YOU want it, not how the next guy might want it". If you're someone who gets bored of your cars and will trade/sell it in a couple years, then play it safe. There have been a few suggestions for who to use already, I agree with Eric from Bumper Plugs as he has done this for years. But if you use him, you're going to either have to change the parts yourself or bring them to a shop. If you're bringing them to a shop, then go for it with Eric, your parts will be sent back as "Cores" so you'll get the newly painted ones first and send out the Cores which means less down time. As for squeaks and rattles, just make sure you have a seriously competent shop do the work and you should be alright.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:21 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not just buy the painted interior parts from suncoast parts...?
Old 11-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Olivia Scott
It is pretty insane what Porsche charges for "painted interior parts"
Im actually very adamant about not wanting any of my interior parts
in black, unfortunately there are not even enough options available to
achieve this. I think its silly that as for the air vents and slats, that to
paint the full thing its two different options!!!
Olivia: Take a look at what I recently posted in the 981 forum & tell
me if something similar to this, but with 991 specific air vents/slats
options, is what has you upset!

Post #1406
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...spyder-94.html

It takes time to understand how 'Porsche Exclusive' works and why
these seemingly small options cost so much at Porsche. Here is some
of what I posted:

We also have a sticky on the topic to help Rennlisters understand how
'Custom Ordering' works at Porsche:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Painting Interior Bits Post Delivery, must be smoking Crack with what they charge!